By Literature & Latte
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
"The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor."
- Best-selling novelist Michael Marshall Smith
Scrivener is a powerful content-generation tool for writers designed for composing and structuring long and difficult documents. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, its focus is on getting you to the end of that awkward first draft.
Compose your text in any order and in pieces as large or small as you like. View the components of your draft individually or as a whole. Import and refer to research files such as images and PDFs alongside your writing.
Whether you prefer to outline first, hammer out your first draft and restructure later, or do a bit of both, Scrivener's corkboard and outliner tools are completely integrated with the text, so working with an overview of your draft is just a click away.
Scrivener's users include best-selling novelists, screenwriters, students, academics, lawyers, journalists and translators. It won't presume to tell you how to write - it just provides an array of flexible tools that allow you to do things your way, no matter what kind of writing you do.
- Project templates for novels, scripts, APA and MLA essays and more (or create your own)
- Interactive tutorial project
- Import common text files such as .rtf, .doc, .docx, .fdx, .txt, .opml and .odt
- Break up imported texts using the "Split at Selection" or "Import and Split" features
- Create and access your work in any order using the "binder" source list
- "Scrivenings" mode temporarily combines disparate documents into a single text for viewing and editing
- Full-screen mode
- Scriptwriting mode for screenplays, stage plays, comic scripts and more
- Familiar text formatting tools
- Live word and character counts
- Mark up your text with comments
- Make notes in the sidebar which become footnotes or endnotes upon print or export
- "Snapshots" allow you to store earlier versions of texts and revert to them at any time
- Name generator
- MathType support
- Set goals using project and document targets
- Automatic backups
- Associate a synopsis with any document in your project
- A virtual corkboard lets you rearrange documents using their associated synopses
- A fully-featured outliner provides complete control over a project's structure
- Project-wide search
- Track ideas using labels and keywords
- Import research such as image, .pdf and media files
- Import web pages
- View research files (or other text documents) alongside your writing
- Transcribe audio files
Getting It Out There
- Compile your manuscript for submission or self-publishing
- Export to popular formats such as .doc, .rtf and plain text
- Print or generate PDF files
- Export .epub or Kindle files
- Export to Final Draft .fdx format
- Supports MultiMarkdown for LaTeX export
- Sync text files with popular iPhone and iPad apps via Dropbox or Simplenote
For more information, please watch the videos on our website.
TESTIMONIALS AND AWARDS
We have a whole heap of testimonials from published authors - see our testimonials page at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/testimonials.php to read what they have to say about Scrivener.
Scrivener 2.0 was awarded a Macworld 2010 Eddy (as was Scrivener 1.0 in 2007) and has received five-star reviews from MacUser and MacFormat.
If you have any questions or feedback, you can contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org, via our support forum at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum or on Twitter @scrivenerapp.
What's New in Version 2.6
• Yosemite-ready: many minor updates and fixes for 10.10 compatibility.
• URLs dragged and dropped into the binder now use the file name for the linked text rather than the file URL.
• Clicking the green traffic light full-screen button on Yosemite enters full screen mode; Opt-clicking it uses the pre-10.10 behaviour of fitting the window to its content.
• Root folders (Draft, Research and Trash) are no longer returned in search results.
• Fixed bug whereby spell-checking would not work if the editor was loaded in page view mode when the project was opened.
• When exporting to .epub format, if the option to include an Adobe Digital Editions page template is ticked, all span elements containing tab characters are now removed from the HTML because such elements cause rendering issues in ADE-based e-readers.
• Many other bug fixes - for the full list, please see http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivChangeList.php.
This is simply an oustanding piece of software for anyone looking to write in a non-liner fashion.
This is actually how I use Scrivener now and discover new features and why I fall in love with it all over again! I did the big tutorial and read all the crap, but ultimately I forgot it. I just started working with it. As I wrote more and more I would naturally think “you know, I wish I could do this” or “I would like to be able to do this.” I would Google it and Scrivener would be able to do it!!! I would discover new features and enhance my own process as I went along. This is unlike most other software where I had to read manuals and get told what it could do and how to do it! It’s really different and really makes the process fun and makes Scrivener stand out. Very little software has that.
This dramatically helped speed up my thesis work and finally gotten me to pursue personal writing, which is someting I had put off for a long time.
Outstanding writer’s tool. A joy to use.
I bought Scrivener’s after reading the great reviews of it here. Was intimidated at first, til I finally decided to watch the tutorials, and give it a whirl. Well, I probably only used 10% of whtat it can do, but it was all I need—and it made writing my book an absolute joy. Each chapter of my book is comprised of short stories or scenes, and I was able to see them all beautifully organized on the left side of the screen, and move them around to get a better flow with a simple move of the mouse (moving stories within chapters, and chapters themselves). The research tool is amazing. I was able to keeo research resources—PDFs, websites, and other docs—immediately and beautifully organized and accessible. Can’t say enough about this app and how much I appreciate it. When the rough draft of the manuscript was done, I exported it as a Word doc, and that was it. Well worth the investment.
I LOVE this program! It is amazing! I believe it is worth the price for all of the features you get with the program. I write a lot, and write in various formats, articles, books, etc. I use this program for everything. I do a lot of research and have found this program to be extrememly useful for that purpose, along with writing a novel, and have found it sufficient to write basic news articles in. I like how I am able to keep everything together, but at the same time, I am able to separate things if needed, while keeping them in the same document. I highly recommend this program to everyone, whether a writer, student, college student, graduate student, etc. There are a million uses for this program!