By Literature & Latte
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
*** Featured in App Store Best of 2016 ***
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.” —Michael Marshall Smith, bestselling author
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a tap away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand. Write a description based on a photograph. Reference a video or PDF. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter. On the iPad, open two documents side-by-side; on the iPhone, flip between research and writing with just two taps.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply compile everything into a single document for printing, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
• Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View all sections as a single text using the “Draft Navigator” (iPad only)
• Quickly navigate sections using the “binder” sidebar
• Format with fonts and presets
• Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
• Simple bullets and lists
• Insert images
• Pinch-zoom to resize text
• Full-screen mode (iPad only)
• Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
• Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
• Live word and character counts
• Set word and character count targets
• Find and replace
• Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
• Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
• Dark mode
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
• Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and status
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research material such as image, PDF and media flies
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
• Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
• Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
• Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
• Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
• Create and email zipped backups of your projects
• Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
• Copy projects between devices via iTunes
* Requires a Dropbox account (not compatible with iCloud).
You can contact us at email@example.com, visit our forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 1.1.4
• Fixes several iOS 11-related bugs.
• Updated app icon to fit with Scrivener 3 on macOS.
I was exuberant to see Scrivener materialize with an ipad version. I have head a lot about it. I am a relatively new scrivener, just learning it, and involved in a lengthy writing project. I write mostly on iPads because I am rarely home and they are easier than laptops to lug around. I have the new ipad, 10.5, 256gb, and was looking forward to using scrivener on it.
Unfortunately, the Dropbox syncing is maddening. Today, for instance, it refused to sync and kept shutting down. After the first time, I got it back and backed up everything I was working on, and I was lucky I had the foresight to do that for Scrivener kept crashing. When I returned to the desktop, it wanted to sync with the ipad. This it did, but with the older version of the chapter that I was editing and I thanked the gods for that back-up I had stored elsewhere. I ended up deleting the chapter and starting over with the back-up I had emailed to myself.
I do not know what to say here. Not sure if the recent update will solve the infuriating Dropbox problems. I will give it another try and see what comes of that. If it continues, I will just have to use scrivener on the desktop, writing on another program with the ipad and copying it over to scrivener later on. Ultimately, I think Scrivener has to be taken out of Dropbox and put onto the cloud.
Happy at last!
I was ready to be ornery and nitpicky after the years of waiting and the high price, but the app quickly won me over. For the most part, it's actually an improvement over the original. Many features that seemed clunky in the desktop version translate beautifully to iOS. The extended keyboard is a brilliant solution to easy access of oft-used features.
My one issue is that selecting text is ferociously difficult to control. The mechanism is so overly sensitive it will slip and slide over dozens of lines back and forth until I'm finally able to grab the handful of words or lines I want to highlight or edit. This can waste considerable time, aside from being tedious in the extreme. Other writing apps I use don't have this problem.
Update: love the app, but the revised logo is an OCD nightmare.
Dropbox sync maims your workflow
Some serious changes need to happen, I don’t even know how I can manage these constant crashes and errors between my three devices. You change ‘two typos’ on your computer, you check if that registered on your ipad(because you have to), and you check in your iphone, touch sync iphone and wait for it, bang! iphone crashes and your workflow is nowhere to be found. You have to move your synced document to offline and delete one in dropbox, then sync all over again. I like this fancy new icon but new update made it worse.
Well that maneuver seems obsolete because it just deleted my whole project saying ‘binder form not supported’ or something, now I have to retype everything from my previous compiled document, imagine if I hadn’t compiled! thanks for erasing my next entire hour scrivener! You’re joking when you say this is for serious projects.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 20, 2017
- Version: 1.1.4
- Size: 28.3 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Literature & Latte Ltd
- © Literature & Latte Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.