By Literature & Latte
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** Featured in App Store Best of 2016 ***
“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.” —Michael Marshall Smith, bestselling author
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a tap away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand. Write a description based on a photograph. Reference a video or PDF. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter. On the iPad, open two documents side-by-side; on the iPhone, flip between research and writing with just two taps.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply compile everything into a single document for printing, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
• Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View all sections as a single text using the “Draft Navigator” (iPad only)
• Quickly navigate sections using the “binder” sidebar
• Format with fonts and presets
• Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
• Simple bullets and lists
• Insert images
• Pinch-zoom to resize text
• Full-screen mode (iPad only)
• Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
• Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
• Live word and character counts
• Set word and character count targets
• Find and replace
• Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
• Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
• Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and status
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research material such as image, PDF and media flies
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
• Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
• Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
• Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
• Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
• Create and email zipped backups of your projects
• Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
• Copy projects between devices via iTunes
* Requires a Dropbox account (not compatible with iCloud).
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, visit our forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
• Document templates are now supported, allowing for the creation of character and location sheets, for example (see new section in tutorial).
• Web pages can now be imported from the "import" button.
• Superscript and subscript support added.
• A line break button is now available for the extended keyboard row.
• Cmd-L in the editor will now create a line break.
• Project search now includes label and status names.
• "Replace" now jumps to the next match after a replacement.
• Rich text lists are now converted to Markdown when "Convert to Basic Markdown" is ticked in Compile.
• Applying "Preserve Formatting" (available from extended keyboard row options) to text now excludes that text from having special characters escaped when using "Convert to Basic Markdown".
• Compiling to PDF and printing now uses the full resolution of embedded images.
• Auto-Lock is now disabled while Dropbox is syncing, to prevent timeouts.
• Added an option to Settings app to disable Auto-Lock.
• You can now remove Quick References from the history by swiping on the Quick Reference list in the history popover.
• You can now determine the sort order of the main projects list by entering "Edit" mode and pulling down to reveal sort options.
• Improved iOS 10 support.
• Miscellaneous bug fixes.
This is an excellent app for aspiring and experienced writers alike. It has a slew of wonderful organizational features and allows me to quickly pick up where I left off and edit as I please. I particularly enjoy the options to divide and merge my files with a tap as well as the ability to edit with comments, footnotes, highlights, etc. The word count feature is also immensely useful and I appreciate the ability to send my files in a number of formats such as a Word Doc., a PDF, and plain text. This allows me to quickly and easily swap and share work with my writer friends.
My only recommendation would be to develop a "night mode" in which there were options with a darker screen with lighter font (i.e. white text on black, light grey text on dark charcoal, off-white on a dark brown, and so on.) As a person that enjoys writing in the evening, these options would be easier on the eyes and on my phone's battery as they consume less power.
Overall, this is a truly wonderful app that I have found was completely worth the investment. Thank you, Scrivener!
Fantastic, Essential Tool for Writing in Long Form
I purchased this on the same day I purchased the Mac version. And only bought the Mac version when I saw that there was an iOS version since I do a lot of my writing on the iPad. In both cases, I was completely blown away by Scrivener. In the week or so I've been using it, it has totally transformed my approach to writing my memoir. It's made the process more efficient while never getting in the way of creative flow.
The developer is clearly a writer and intimately understands the vicissitudes of the process. It's just about perfect.
My only possible complaint would be with the Dropbox integration. To be sure, it totally works as long as you are careful about syncing. The problem is you have to make sure to think about it. I would love to see seamless iCloud integration—where it just happens automatically in the background so I don't have to think about it at all.
But the point is, the app is brilliant.
Would you consider adding a "night mode" or dark screen sometime in the future? See I'm Austin and even with the brightness turned all the way down it's painful to look at the stark white interface. I'm currently using Scrivo Pro but I'd really like to switch because Scrivo doesn't have some of the great features your app has, like the compiler, but until it becomes more accessible that can't happen.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 16, 2016
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 13.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Literature & Latte Ltd
- © Literature & Latte Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.