Scythe iOS app is designed for iPad. It has a powerful synthesis engine and makes it easy to create and discover sound designed.
The wavetable creator enables the creation and editing of wavetables and is integrated directly into the system to preview your creations with the current session status. You can override the oscillators to see how your creation mixes with your session's sound.
The controls have been minimized to allow a simple workflow with the same complex modulation that you might be used to. If you are new to modulation, Scythe app for iOS makes it simple with drag and drop, from source to oscillator control.
Now with CoreMIDI and Audiobus Midi input and Inter-App-Audio, Scythe synth can be integrated into your studio or workflow.
Scythe synthesizer iOS app comes with presets and library wavetables for quickly hearing some of its possibilities.
AudioShare allows importing and exporting audio with Scythe synthesis iOS app easily.
Generate custom wavetables by importing your sounds using AudioShare or iTunes file sharing, record using IAA out or directly in Scythe synthesizer app and export using Audioshare or iOS sharing options.
Please note for best wavetable generation results, sounds with low frequency content or enough spectral content is required.
Top Features of Scythe iOS app:
- High quality wavetable synthesis
- Wavetable creator
- Filter Delay effect
- Modulation control of all oscillator parameters
- Easy to learn user interface
- MIDI input - CoreMIDI & Audiobus 3
- AudioShare support for importing and exporting
- Global tempo control for syncing LFOs to note duration
- Easily record, playback and export audio
- Library wavetables and presets
- Max waves = 128 = 8 voices * 2 oscillators * 8 unison
Full feature set:
- 2 Wavetable oscillators with full modulation control
- Generate wavetables with audio files imported with AudioShare
- Generate wavetables with audio files loaded from iTunes file sharing
- Load library wavetables
- Save wavetables
- Unison of up to 8 waves per oscillator
- Global tempo control in top bar
- 2 Envelope generators with controllable ADSR graph
- 3 LFOs with 8 wave modes, Note duration sync, lfo wave amplitude, 3 run modes
- Global modulation matrix control
- Modulation override
- Audiobus 3 MIDI
- Currently max voices is 8
- Scrollable keyboard
- Hold mode
- Library presets
- Save your own presets
- Record audio
- Export audio using AudioShare
- export audio using iOS export options, e.g. Dropbox
- Hardware capabilities will impact max number of waves. If your device CPU cannot synthesize the max number of waves, either adjust the unison value/modulation or reduce the number of simultaneous keys pressed
- Modulation is initially enabled by dragging the modulation link icons onto the control to be modulated.
- Hold mode is enabled/disabled by pressing the control in the keyboard scroll section
Follow Scythe app on Twitter:
Ratings and Reviews
To the dev: Please fix the pops, they make it impossible to use the sounds in a track. Also I just bought the Wavetable Creator but it doesn’t work. I can make changes and save the wavetable, but I can’t play it as I change the parameters there.
Edit: the knobs are fixed, and they operate smoothly now. Thanks!
Aside from that, this is one of my fav synths. The UI of any app is very important, and the UI of this synth is the best I’ve seen. Color coded controls so that when you apply LFO1 to something, it will turn that color. Might not seem important, but it really is, improves experience by far vs some other synths that have no indication of what’s controlling what. On/off buttons for the envelopes and LFOs and each item inside the matrix. 💕
The actual sound quality is great. You can do all kins of crazy sounds or more smooth ones, depending on the audio you drop on it. Just load up a sound file and use the controls to play with it. There’s no overwhelming amount of features - 2 filters and 3 LFOs, but the sounds you get out of this synth are very usable in a track. Just about anything I drop on this seems to give me pleasant results. Glad I discovered this one. AUv3 would make it a must have, but at this price you just can’t go wrong!
Hello. The pops are now fixed when releasing a note on certain wavetables and the wavetable creator has a preview mode, integrating directly into your current session.
Grrat synth, great developer
I like this synth a lot. Sounding great and modulation is easy to understand. It didn't take me long to build some cool sounds from scratch and modulate the controls. I also really like the user interface which is pretty user friendly imo.
The IAP for thr waveform editor is very cool too i think. Fantastic way to experiment with finger drawn waveforms or combine them with other shapes. Highly recommended app and IAP if you are into crazy and experimental synth sounds or soundscapes.
This app deserves the full five stars also because of the developer which has been very fast with adding requesting features in the past and also fixing recently reported bugs. Top class support for an awesome synth.
weak Audiobus 3 support
Very wicked sounds & cool GUI — but doesn't fully support AB3 (as other apps with AB3 support), e.g. no state saving or proper AB3 popup sidebar integration. 5 stars rating for this app if AB3 support is fixed...
Developer response and feature fix was quick, but unfortunately after latest update, Scythe no longer works at all in AB3. I uninstalled and reinstalled Scythe multiple times, and it's still not working... At some point in these attempts, AB3 did show the app but its UI was locked when launched; another time it showed disabled in AB3 with "Missing Registered Ports" displayed under the app entry; another time AB3 spun trying to launch the app and failed with error. Note I have 2017 iPad and latest version of Audiobus 3, so this is clearly a Scythe issue.
I am unable to reproduce the issue you are experiencing in 1.4.8. If you still experience these issues could you please contact me at email@example.com so I can fix this for you. I have tested v1.4.8 and Scythe works as expected with Audiobus, including state saving and loading.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Bitmask Studio Ltd
- 347.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Bitmask Studio Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Bass Pack $0.99
- Wavetable Creator $4.99
- Tones Pack $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.