The Secret of Monkey Island ™: Special Edition
By Aspyr Media, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition faithfully re-imagines the internationally-acclaimed classic game (originally released in 1990) for original and new audiences alike. The game is brought into the modern era with an all new re-imagined contemporary art style, a re-mastered musical score, full voiceover, and an in-depth hint system to help players through the game’s side-splitting puzzles. Purists will also delight in the ability to seamlessly switch between the updated hand-drawn re-imagining and the original classic version.
The game's twisty plot leads our naive hero on a hilarious, swash-buckling search for the fabled secret of Monkey Island. Tales of pirate wealth lure him to the port of Mêlée with high hopes, no money, and insatiable curiosity. If clever enough, he will win the confidence of Mêlée's pirates and find himself blown by the winds of fate toward the terrifying and legendary Monkey Island -- an adventure that would chill the bones of even the most bloodthirsty buccaneer.
Relive the swashbuckling humorous misadventures of the wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood
* Go on a daring adventure in your attempt to become the most infamous pirate in the Caribbean
* Win the heart of the beautiful governor, Elaine Marley
* Along the way, confront the evil ghost pirate, LeChuck
Play it again for the first time
* All new re-imagined contemporary art style, hand-drawn to feature animation quality
* Re-mastered music score presented in full orchestrated detail
* Complete voice over using the original Monkey Island™ franchise cast brings the story and characters of the original adventures to life like never before
* Scene-for-scene hot swap allows for seamless transition between special edition and classic modes anywhere and at any time
Includes all new features
* All new intuitive game interface and controls provide a more interactive gameplay experience
* In-game puzzle hint system keeps the puzzles fresh and fun
*** Please Check System Requirements Prior to Purchasing.***
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 | Processor: Intel chipset | CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz or faster | Memory: 512 MB or higher Hard Disk Space: 2 GB free disk space | Video Card (ATI): X1600 | Video Card (NVidia): GeForce 7300 | Video Memory (VRam): 128 MB | Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard or Microsoft Xbox 360 Wired Controller.
NOTICE: Intel® integrated video chipsets are not supported.
NOTICE: This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW!
Get the latest Aspyr news, get insider information, deals and more...
SURF US: http://aspyr.com
LIKE US: http://facebook.com/aspyrmedia
FOLLOW US: Twitter http://twitter.com/aspyrmedia
LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are registered trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd. ® 1990-2014 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or TM as indicated. All rights reserved. The ratings icon is a registered trademark of the Entertainment Software Association. Aspyr is a registered trademark of Aspyr Media, Inc., and the Aspyr star logo is a trademark of Aspyr Media. Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.
Slightly awkward interface but otherwise fantastic remake of a classic.
The original Monkey Island was one of my favorite adventure games of all time so I was excited to see this remake become available. They didn't just blow up the graphics. They're actually redone in high resolution 1920 x 1080 glory and they look fantastic! The voice acting is also very well done. There is a built in hint system that's a nice touch. Aside from that it's the same old fun story with clever dialogue and colorful characters. The only downside is I found the interface to be a bit on the awkward side. Unlike the original the verbs and inventory aren't visible because the graphics take up the entire screen. You have to press a key on the keyboard, or keyboard equivalents, to bring these things up. It takes a little getting use to but eventually it's not so bad. I still prefer the layout in the original game however.
Nevertheless this is a great remake and with such a low price is well worth it for new players and old players alike!
Great game, runs HOT!
This is a very good game. The graphics are pretty, the music is fun, and the dialog is extremely entertaining. It's also a long game. I've invested many, many hours into it and I'm not done. You will definitely get your money's worth (I paid $10).
* The interface is dated. You have to select "verbs" in order to interact with items. Any moderm point-and-click adventure game lets you simply left-click to do whatever needs to be done. Not a big deal but it's something that bothers me.
* The game runs HOT. My MacBook gets so hot during gameplay that it worries me. I've been forced to play while sitting on my leather couch and alternating where on the couch my MacBook rests since my leather couch has plenty of cold spots. The graphics are NOT good enough for this kind of hardware load. It must be a bug.
Has some quirks
I have a Macbook Pro, 2.4GHZ with 6gigs of ram and a 500 gig 7200rpm HDD with 256 megs of video ram. The game ran flawlessly, no problems. Overall, this is a fun game and gets your thinking, but thankfully you have the hints. There are a few quirks though.... such as... when using the hints, they are not always intuitive and still have you guessing as to what to do and what to use. When you complete the game, all the end credits run, of which you are unable to exit out of. The only way is to literally shut your computer down and the credits and everything else that goes with it is quite long. That is my only complaint, that I had to sit through all of that stuff.
Truly a great game, I enjoyed it and was sad when I fininshed it. I would recommend you buying it.
- Category: Games
- Released: Feb 09, 2011
- Version: 1.0.2
- Size: 470 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Aspyr Media (iDP)
- © ® 1990-2014 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later