See and Learn Phrases 1 is designed to teach children with Down syndrome to progress from using single words to using two words together when they talk. It is part of See and Learn Language and Reading – a structured teaching program designed to teach children with Down syndrome to talk and to read.
See and Learn Phrases 1 teaches two-keyword phrases illustrated in themed books using early vocabulary that is taught in See and Learn Vocabulary 1. It also introduces sight word reading using simple matching, selecting and naming activities.
See and Learn Phrases 1 introduces children with Down syndrome to early sight words to support the development of language skills. Research suggests that learning spoken language just from listening to it is hard for most children with Down syndrome, but if we support their learning using pictures and print they can make faster progress.
See and Learn Phrases 1 is designed and supported by internationally recognized experts to meet the specific learning needs of children with Down syndrome and is consistent with current scientific understanding of the children's needs and effective interventions.
When to start
See and Learn Phrases 1 is designed for children who:
• understand at least 50 words, including some nouns and some verbs
• can say or sign some of the words that they understand
• can follow two-keyword instructions – for example, “wash doll” or “put bear to bed” in a play situation
Children who have completed the activities in See and Learn Vocabulary 1 should be ready to start the activities in See and Learn Phrases 1.
See and Learn Phrases 1 includes 6 activities to teach 40 two-keyword phrases and 16 sight words:
• Reading books - introduces your child to books, teaches the meaning of the phrases and begins to draw your child's attention to the printed words
• Matching sight words - encourages your child to look carefully at the written words and to link them with their spoken forms
• Selecting sight words - allows your child to demonstrate that they are learning to link each printed word with its spoken form
• Reading sight words - encourages your child to practice saying the words that they can read
• Understanding sight words - allows your child to show that they understand the words that they can read by matching written words with the corresponding pictures
• Understanding phrases - allows your child to show that they understand the phrases that they can read by matching phrases with the corresponding pictures
• Simple and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on the information presented and learning goals
• Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
• Pictures can be personalized to be specific to the child
• Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
• Optional voice prompts
• Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
• Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
• Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
• English (US)
• English (UK)
- iOS 12.1 support
- Bug fixes
- Down Syndrome Education Enterprises C.I.C.
- 153.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Down Syndrome Education Enterprises CIC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.