Seeing AI is a free app that narrates the world around you. Designed for the blind and low vision community, this ongoing research project harnesses the power of AI to open up the visual world and describe nearby people, text and objects.
Optimized for use with VoiceOver, the app enables you to recognize:
• Short Text - Speaks text as soon as it appears in front of the camera.
• Documents - Provides audio guidance to capture a printed page, and recognizes the text, along with its original formatting.
• Products - Scans barcodes, using audio beeps to guide you; hear the name, and package information when available. (works with iPhone 6 and later)
• People - Saves people’s faces so you can recognize them, and get an estimate of their age, gender, and emotions.
• Scenes (early preview) - Hear an overall description of the scene captured.
• Currency - Recognizes currency notes. (Requires iOS 11)
• Color - Identifies color.
• Handwriting - Reads handwritten text like in greeting cards
• Light - Generates an audible tone corresponding to the brightness in the surroundings.
• Images in other apps - Just tap “Share” and “Recognize with Seeing AI” to describe images from Mail, Photos, Twitter, and more.
• Photo browsing experience - Describes photos on your phone
Seeing AI is built to help you achieve more by leveraging the power of the cloud and artificial intelligence. As the research progresses, more channels may be added.
Check out tutorials with this YouTube playlist: http://aka.ms/SeeingAIPlaylist
Visit http://SeeingAI.com for more details
Recently honored by American Council of the Blind, American Foundation for the Blind's Helen Keller Achievement Award, CES Asia, Mobile World Congress, FCC Chairman's Awards for Advancements in Accessibility and AppleVis Hall of Fame.
Available in 70 countries including Albania, Argentina, Australia, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, European Union, Ghana, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Liberia, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, USA, UK and Zimbabwe. Gradually coming to more countries.
Languages supported – English
Supported on iPhone 5C, 5S and later; best performance with iPhone 6S, SE and later models.
Questions, feedback or feature requests? Email us at seeingai @ microsoft.com.
• Seeing AI now lets you browse photos on your phone, including hearing descriptions of the objects, people, text, and location. We appreciate your early feedback as we continue to develop this feature. Select "Browse Photos" from the menu.
• Optimized performance when recognizing photos shared from other apps.
• Now available in 18 new countries, bringing availability to 70 countries: Albania, Ghana, Iceland, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Macedonia, Nigeria, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Russia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Switzerland, Tanzania, Zimbabwe.
Ratings and Reviews
Use this every day
I use this app, particularly the short text and product features, for so many different things. I really love that the product feature not only gives you the product’s name, but also cooking directions in many cases. This makes preparing quick meals for my family when I get home from work so much easier. I use the short text feature for sorting mail, reading problematic computer screens, and tons of other things. My son is two years old and always wants me to read the books to him that I haven’t gotten around to brailling yet, so I use the short text feature to read the pages of the board books so that I can either get an overview of the story for the moment or have the words so that I can Braille the books later. I would give this app five stars for that and the product/cooking directions features alone.
Keep up the great work
I think that this application is really amazing. While I don't have one of the better iPhones to take full advantage of all the features, I fully appreciate it. I think it would be pretty cool though if we could insert pictures directly from the app, especially when training the facial recognition feature. I also think that, if the voices could sound more human like, that would be pretty cool. Would it be possible to get volunteers to lend their voices to such a project? I'm just curious to know since that would definitely be something I would be interested in. Please consider adding Jamaican currency on the list, and I definitely think we need a translation feature. Now that would definitely be cool. Thank you Microsoft, thank you so much for this application. It has really made a tremendous impact on my life.
Thank you for downloading and using the Microsoft Seeing AI app.
We hope that you find the app useful and we appreciate your comments regarding the facial recognition feature. We have had numerous requests for using photos to train the Facial Recognition and we have added that and your Jamaican Dollar suggestion to our list of feature requests for future releases of the app.
We are committed to continue improving Seeing AI with every update and feedback from users like yourself is very helpful.
Wreckin’ the Sighted!
I use this app for tons of stuff!
No more KNFB Reader!. It helps me with clothing selection with colors, I spot-check my mail with short text so I don’t have to sit down with Kurzweill until I know it’s not JUNK! I can use Document for obvious stuff, and the Product for re organizing my kitchen cabinet & putting away GROCERIES—It isn’t as up to date as an I.D. Mate, but it isn’t $1200 either!!
I even use it to see if I get the TV on when I get lost in the TV vs. Cable-box or Apple TV fight. I EVEN use it to see if I have any BIOS POST errors, or to see if Windows is UPDATING or such when my PCs take forever to BOOT! Needs some flourishes to be added, and I have a few suggestions, (already sent in!) but I try and get ev’body to think of and find new ways to use this app.
Microsoft— if you need a Rep / Presenter to travel to conventions, Here I Am!
Thank you for such kind words. We are really encouraged at how you are finding this useful. And with your feedback, we will keep improving this further. Could you kindly reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and mention your screen name 'Blind Alley Cat', we would love to connect with you.
Seeing AI Team
- Microsoft Corporation
- 283.3 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.