The Seeing Eye, the pioneer in guide dogs, and Sendero Group, the pioneers of accessible GPS, have teamed up to create The Seeing Eye GPS XT™. Almost 20 years of user feedback and feature requests are behind the design of all Sendero GPS products. The accessible features in The Seeing Eye GPS XT™ are only the beginning of what is yet to come as users help in evolving this fully accessible GPS product for the iPhone. The Seeing Eye GPS XT™ is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app with all the normal navigation features plus features unique to blind users.
Unique to The Seeing Eye GPS™
• Instead of multiple layers of menus, the three important navigation elements are on the lower portion of every screen: Route, POIs and Location.
• At intersections, the cross street and its orientation are announced
• Intersections are described (e.g. four-way) with the clock face orientation of the streets.
• There are two choices for POI data (Navteq, and Foursquare).
• Directions are configured appropriately for Pedestrian and Vehicle routes, including heads-up announcements for approaching turns, turn now, continue straight and upcoming turns.
• If one wanders off the route, it's automatically recalculated and updated turn information is announced.
• Point your phone in a given direction to hear what is nearby with the LookAround Wand.
• Nearby Points of interest and intersections are automatically announced.
• Ability to run in the background or with the screen locked for iOS 7. If you are running an older version of iOS 6 only the sound effects will play and the phone will vibrate at turns and at your destination but no speech output. Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
The Seeing Eye GPS XT™ is licensed for unlimited use, and does not require in-app subscriptions.
Requires: Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 WiFi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. iOS 9.0 or later.
The Veterans Affairs Seeing Eye GPS app uses VoiceOver feature for audio voice output and does not contain its own voice synthesizer.
Join us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/senderogps
Added a new source of POIs, OpenStreetMaps POIs.
Changed the "beacons" button to "indoor" to reflect the variety of indoor wayfinding support available.
Offering Loud Steps and Ningo for indoor wayfinding in buildings where location positioning is available.
Loud Steps is a WiFi based indoor wayfinding system, which allows for turn-by-turn directions. Available building are San Francisco Lighthouse, Envision (Wichita), Chicago Lighthouse, Merchandise Mart and 1871 Chicago in Chicago, National Federation of the Blind (Baltimore), and other international locations. Stay tuned for more buildings as they are added.
Ningo is an open source beacon database consisting of thousands of beacons. When you load Ningo for the first time, you will see a list of all the available beacons in your vicinity. Don't worry if your list is blank for now. We are regularly adding to it and have an online interface to make it easy for anyone to add more beacons. See https://ningo-api.herokuapp.com/ for information on how to become a contributor. The Ningo database includes the OSM indoor beacons. You can create a "getting warmer" route to any of the beacons listed.
Updated Ningo and Loud Steps SDK.
Ratings and Reviews
My favorite GPS App
Whether it's hearing street names as I walk a new route, finding a place to have dinner with friends or learning more about the route my Uber driver takes, theres not a better tool than Seeing Eye GPS XT. In addition to the helpful information most GPS apps provide this one is taylored to give me information that I can't access easily any other way as a blind person.
Where would I go with out it?
This app is by far the best acessible gps solution for the blind on the narket. I am so confident in this app I bought it for life. If googles absence from this app will lessen its effectiveness then I would encourage google to reconsider its stance pleas.
- Sendero Group LLC
- 85.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Hebrew, Serbian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014 Sendero Group LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.