Seeing Eye GPS
By Sendero Group, LLC.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Seeing Eye, the pioneer in guide dogs, and Sendero Group, the pioneers of accessible GPS, have teamed up to create The Seeing Eye GPS™. Almost 20 years of user feedback and feature requests are behind the design of all Sendero GPS products. The accessible features in The Seeing Eye GPS™ are only the beginning of what is yet to come as users help in evolving this first fully accessible GPS product for the iPhone. The Seeing Eye GPS™ is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app with all the normal navigation features plus features unique to blind users.
Unique to The Seeing Eye GPS™
• Instead of multiple layers of menus, the three important navigation elements are on the lower portion of every screen: Route, POIs and Location.
• At intersections, the cross street and its orientation are announced
• Intersections are described (e.g. four-way) with the clock face orientation of the streets.
• There are two choices for POI data (Navteq, and Foursquare).
• Directions are configured appropriately for Pedestrian and Vehicle routes, including heads-up announcements for approaching turns, turn now, continue straight and upcoming turns.
• If one wanders off the route, it's automatically recalculated and updated turn information is announced.
• Point your phone in a given direction to hear what is nearby with the LookAround Wand.
• Nearby Points of interest and intersections are automatically announced.
• Ability to run in the background or with the screen locked for iOS 7. If you are running an older version of iOS 6 only the sound effects will play and the phone will vibrate at turns and at your destination but no speech output. Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Requires: Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 WiFi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. iOS 5.0 or later.
The Seeing Eye GPS app uses VoiceOver feature for audio voice output and does not contain its own voice synthesizer.
Join us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/senderogps
What's New in Version 1.3
There are 17 notable changes in Version 1.3
• Added the ability to run in the background or with the screen locked for iOS 7. If you are running an older version of iOS 6 only the sound effects will play and the phone will vibrate at turns and at your destination but no speech output. Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
• Added an option under settings to turn on or off background operation.
• Added ability to have music playing in the background and still receive lookaround notifications of intersections, POIs and route announcements.
• Added a new repeat button on route screen, that will repeat the last route instruction spoken.
• Added Monthly subscription option.
• A new “Drip” sound effect that will repeat every 30 seconds for notification of poor GPS accuracy.
• Reduced server calls per second which results in the app being more responsive, less data usage, and possibly battery improvements.
• Getting Warmer Route does not need a cell data connection.
• Lookaround POI details: You now hear the heading and distance to Lookaround POI announcements.
• Improved intersection announcements
• Priority speaking of route events that will interrupt what is currently speaking to notify you of a turn or when you arrived at your destination.
• After creating a route the system will now tell you which way to turn initially so you start following your route in the correct direction.
• Improved address lookup when conflicts arose from city field did not match the postal code entered.
• Improved Low Vision features: Yellow Automatic Events Text Box with large fonts for route announcements and lookaround POI and intersection events. In iOS 7 turning on the system settings accessibility bold text option will enable bolded text in the app.
• Translated the app into French with support for accented characters of street and POI names. If your phone is set to French the UI and all announcements will also be in French.
• Removed Multi-Modal route option due to issues with following these routes.
• Support for iOS 6.0 and greater
• Number of other bug fixes and improvements under the hood.
I would suggest that the POI categories be on the same screen as the screen that you search for them. I also think the option to adjust the speed at which it announces intersection and POI'S should be sliders directly accessible from the look around screen in settings. Overall awesome app for a pretty reasonable 3-year price. Gives me useful information that the built-in maps app and google maps don't give me.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Jan 02, 2014
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 8.9 MB
- Languages: English, French
- Seller: Sendero Group LLC
- © 2013 Sendero Group LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Thirty Day Subscription$9.99
- One Year Subscription$69.99
- Three Year Subscription$129.99