By Decisive Tactics, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Serial is a modern terminal emulator designed to make working with servers, network equipment, and embedded hardware easier for engineers and system administrators.
For system administrators, Serial supports the all-important break sequence required when working with routers and switches. Serial also includes a full-featured terminal emulator, allowing you to work with the screen-based menus found in network equipment and Unix programs including the text editors vi and emacs.
Makers and engineers will appreciate Serial's built-in support for embedded devices including the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, and thousands of others. Serial includes several useful features for working with these devices including the ability to reset an Arduino, and the ability to connect to a BeagleBone over USB directly or through it's on-board serial header.
Finally, Serial supports several of the most common USB to serial adapters WITHOUT requiring drivers, often saving you the hassle of finding and installing additional software.
- Full-featured xterm, linux, and ANSI/VT100 terminal emulation
- Works with USB to serial adapters and devices that use USB to serial chips internally
- UTF-8 character set support
- No system drivers required for many of the most common devices
- Bluetooth serial support
- USB Communication Device Class (CDC) support
- Break support required for routers
- Line-buffered send mode
- Text pacing options
- XMODEM and YMODEM file transfer support
What's New in Version 1.1.9
- Supports additional baud rates by using ioctl method to set baud through BSD drivers
- Saves and restores window positions
- Fixed an issue where copy command didn't work in some cases
- Fixed occasional crash after closing a terminal window
- Other minor improvements
OK… so maybe not so amazing. I mean come on, it is a simple serial terminal emulator — except that OS X has not had something like this… ever! That is what makes this amazing.
If you need to quickly get into serial console and you don’t want to install the drivers for your USB to RS232 dongle… then this is the way to go!
UPDATE: 2015-04-09, and several versions later - Still amazing. I love this app and use it on a weekly basis. This is a must have tool