By DrinkBox Studios
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
** Apple iPad Game of the Year 2016 **
Take control of a one-armed warrior named Sasha, wielding a living sword on her journey through a nightmare world in search of her family.
----- ACCOLADES -----
• "iPad Game of the Year", Apple 2016
• "Best Mobile Game of 2016", Destructoid
• "Best Mobile Game + Best Musical Score", Canadian Video Game Awards 2016
• "Battery Park Award for Best Handheld Game", 2017 New York Game Awards
• "Handheld Game of the Year -- Nominee", 20th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards
• "Mobile Game of the Year -- Nominee", 2017 SXSW Gaming Awards
• "Best Mobile Game -- Nominee", The Game Awards 2016
• "5 best mobile games of 2016", GameSpot
• "Best Mobile Game of 2016 -- Nominee", IGN
• "Top 10 best iOS/Android games of 2016", PocketGamer
• "10 best video games of 2016", Mashable
"Severed is a super compelling game that looks great. Its mechanics go to surprising depths and the sword-swiping combat feels fantastic on iOS." 5/5 - 148Apps
"With great game mechanics, unique artwork and tough to master gameplay, Severed is well worthy of your time." 8/10 - Post Arcade
"Severed is just a game that's all-around cool. Its aesthetic is top-notch, its combat is deep and engaging." 5/5 - TouchArcade
----- KEY FEATURES -----
• Dungeon Combat: Master offensive and defensive touch combat techniques to survive intense battles against a menagerie of enemies.
• Severing: Best enemies in combat for a chance at severing their body parts -- then wear them to gain new powers or consume them to upgrade your equipment and abilities.
• Exploration: Follow branching routes through the unknown, using your wits to avoid hazards and solve puzzles.
• Award-Winning Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in the haunting original score from Juno- and Polaris-nominated band YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN, featuring Pantayo.
• Graphical optimizations for Metal-enabled devices
• Gameplay video recording with ReplayKit (requires Metal-enabled device running iOS 9+)
• Multiple difficulty modes
• Game Center Achievements
• Cloud Save
• iMessage Sticker Pack (requires iOS 10)
• 3D Touch support (3D Touch-enabled device required)
What's New in Version 1.0.10
• New Severed iMessage sticker pack! (iOS 10 required)
• 3D Touch support added: Peek at the map during gameplay (3D Touch devices only)
• Fix to a bug that prevented music from playing on older devices running iOS 10
• Improvements to displaying of available upgrades
• Additional fixes and enhancements
One of the BEST iOS games I've ever played
This game is perfectly made for the touchscreen. Period...the controls are fluid and oh so fun - hacking and slashing. The graphics are beautiful art and utilize metal to its fullest. The soundtrack is beautiful and immersive to the environments. The story is gripping, intriguing, scary, intense and sad. This is one of the most well-thought-out story's to put on the iOS in the form of a discovery and action game, with tiny elements of rpg sprinkled in (don't worry if you don't like rpg games though because it's not that kind of game)...there is a ton of exploration to do, secrets to find and achievements to collect - the replay-ability and game length will satisfy you for days, maybe weeks depending on if you can even put the thing down! All the elements to make a perfect iOS game are here: graphics, story, sound, score, gameplay, etc...This is a pure iOS game at its finest and is another huge leap for mobile gaming (iOS can deliver an intensely compelling and innovative game that rivals platforms) . This is a must buy hands down if you love story driven games with innovative gameplay. Once you start playing, it'll be very hard to put down as you'll be so enthralled you will want to keep going to see what comes next. That's the highest praise I can give a game.
Beautiful, immersive, and moving
I have played many iPhone and iPad games but this is my first review. Severed is an extraordinary game with a beautiful but dark art style similar to Samurai Jack or Steven Universe. Primarily a dungeon crawler with sporadic but often tense battles, the touchscreen controls are intuitive and the game really feels made for the medium. You don’t need to feel like “a gamer” in order to understand these mechanics! It’s not only a fighting game, though—there are “secrets” in every area for the player to discover by solving puzzles. The story is enigmatic and moving: The game begins with a young girl who has lost one arm. A shadowy figure presents her with a sword and she sets off from her burned-out house to find her family (brother, father, mother). The soundtrack is amazing—reminiscent of something like Akira or Joe Hisaishi’s scores for Howl’s Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke. Although at times I wish we had more information about the story, I was touched and satisfied by the ending. I can’t recommend this game enough, and if any of the references I made appeal to you, then you should absolutely purchase Severed.
One of the best mobile games
Compared to most things the platform has to offer, this title is more of a high-end PC/Console quality game that uses a lot of swiping, which is a bit similar to Infinity Blade. I rarely say this, but this is a title that must be experienced to have truely enjoyed the platform.
Gameplay overall is very enjoyable, with several game mechanics that should not be spoiled. Only issue is how the upgrades will be the exact same every time once they are maxed out, and you cannot choose to change how you play the game.
The art and animation is simply interesting. While the art looks very great, in the short cutscenes the animation occasionally looks a bit clunky in certain scenes.
The sound and music is easily one of the most fitting soundtracks for the game, with sound effects also sounding reasonable. Every environment is accompanied by a fitting soundtrack, although one place tends to not play the soundtrack made for it all the time and plays a soundtrack from a different location.
The weakest and strongest point would be the story. While it takes unique turns, the characters are not developed too much. This makes it slightly harder to feel sad.
The real kicker is how since the story cannot be changed, nor can you change the playstyle of your character, the game ends up being very short, but compared to a generic f2p app you would have enjoyed it more.
Overall, if this got a PC adapation it would hold really well.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Nov 29, 2016
- Version: 1.0.10
- Size: 236 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: DRINKBOX STUDIOS INC.
- ©2016 Drinkbox Studios Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.