Shade: Interactive Fiction
By Zarfhome Software Consulting
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*Shade* is interactive fiction — a classic text adventure. No graphics! No point-and-click! You type your commands, and read what happens next.
*Shade* is a snack-sized experiment in surrealism and psychological fear. It begins as a classic “room escape” scenario; but that’s not how it ends.
Play *Shade* if you’re in the mood for a short trip into an uncertain, shifting environment that might just be a nightmare.
- Fluid interface designed for comfortable typing and reading.
- Achievements tracked through Game Center. Each reveals a new snippet of Death Valley Om installation art, specially written for this iOS release.
- Pop-up palette of commonly used commands.
- Includes a handy “to do” display tab (so you don’t have to type “READ LIST” over and over).
- Full support for VoiceOver (speech output) and dictation (speech input) on devices that offer these features.
“Suffice it to say that it’s extremely well crafted and very, very creepy—this is ‘mess with your head’ IF par excellence.” — Baf's Guide to Interactive Fiction
“It threatens one’s ideas of the relationship between the player and the protagonist. It has entered the canon, as far as interactive fiction has one.” — Emily Short at PlayThisThing
*Shade* won the XYZZY Award for Best Setting of 2000. A browser-playable version is also available (for free) on my web site.
What's New in Version 1.0.1
- Voiceover support for the To Do tab.
- Fixed a bug that would crash when selecting text, if the "Speak Selection" system preference is turned on.
- Fixed a stack bug that could cause a crash after a "quit" command.
Unusual, well-written short text adventure
"Shade" is not so much a traditional "adventure" as an experiment in mood and horror. It starts out appearing to be a room escape game, but how it ends ... Though brief, it will mess with your head. The virtual to-do list, available in a tab, is a good bonus over the browser-based version, nicely implemented; check it frequently. For a beginner's game, try the same author's app "The Dreamhold," which holds your hand a lot more.
Don't waste your time
Really zero stars, worst IF game ever, boring, repetitive waste of time, a non game really
- Category: Games
- Updated: Feb 22, 2013
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 2.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Plotkin
- © 2013 Zarfhome Software Consulting, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.