This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Shakespeare™ is a free app with the complete works of Shakespeare (41 plays, 154 sonnets and 6 poems, including doubtful works) and a searchable concordance to find the exact word or phrase you’re looking for (with “relaxed” searching to find words close to your search term).
Have a question? Read our FAQs: http://bit.ly/shakesfaqs
See what these users are saying about Shakespeare Pro:
“It’s really great!”
—Kenneth Branagh, actor and director
“‘The app’s the thing.’ Hamlet was almost right. Great to see Shakespeare Pro superplaying with Shakespeare’s plays.”
—David Crystal, Linguist and Author of Shakespeare's Words
“The Shakespeare Pro App is simply terrific and filled with loads of wonderful information!”
—Ken Ludwig, Tony and Olivier Award Winning Playwright
Even though it’s free, Shakespeare for the iPad/iPhone/iPod is packed with these impressive features:
• CUSTOMIZE YOUR READING EXPERIENCE by choosing from a variety of color combinations, change the font family and size, and jump around to different scenes.
• QUALITY TEXTS are a top priority and our team spent over two years compiling and editing the best references available.
• DETAILED SCENE BREAKDOWNS give you an overview of the scenes within each play, their locations, and the characters present in each.
• THE SHAKESPEARE PASSPORT® is your virtual ticket to events and exhibitions all over the world. Just show the passport on your device for great benefits at participating venues. More information at ShakespearePassport.com.
• BARDFIND™ is the easiest way to find a Shakespeare theatre or venue anywhere in the world.
If you’re looking for line numbers, the integrated Shakespeare’s Words glossary, a gallery of Shakespeare portraits, random quote generator, Shakespeare facts, auto-and scrolling, check out Shakespeare Pro for these and other great features. If you’re a student, professor, actor, or just plain love the Bard, this must-have app ensures you have the complete works at your fingertips.
Like the new features? Having trouble and need support? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org, at playshakespeare.com/support, on Twitter @playshakespeare, or Facebook facebook.com/PlayShakespeare
Works contained: All’s Well That Ends Well, Antony and Cleopatra, As You Like It, The Comedy of Errors, Coriolanus, Cymbeline, Double Falsehood, Edward III, Hamlet, Henry IV (Parts 1 & 2), Henry V, Henry VI (Parts 1-3), Henry VIII, Julius Caesar, King John, King Lear, Love’s Labours Lost, Macbeth, Measure for Measure, Merchant of Venice, Merry Wives of Windsor, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, Pericles, King Richard II, Richard III, Romeo and Juliet, Sir Thomas More, Taming of the Shrew, The Tempest, Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, Troilus and Cressida, Twelfth Night, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Two Noble Kinsmen, The Winter’s Tale, Sonnets, Venus & Adonis, Rape of Lucrece, A Lover’s Complaint, Passionate Pilgrim, Phoenix & Turtle, To the Queen
What's New in Version 6.1.4
We can't help you if you only post in the comments and don't contact our support. If you find an issue, get in touch at email@example.com and we'll resolve it ASAP. We strive to be a 5-star app!
What's new in Shakespeare? We fixed a critical bug that was causing the app to crash for some users.
What was new in the previous version of Shakespeare Pro?
• NEW! The fourth edition of PlayShakespeare.com texts of plays, poems and sonnets—new and improved editions of the works that are better than ever!
• Improvements to notes performance and full compatibility with Shakespeare Pro for Mac (on the Mac App Store)
• Fixed an issue with "All" characters and with FF compare menu
• Fixed a minor search bug on iOS 9
This is perfect for my current project and has Been very helpful. Search function is key and though it needs a tweak as Othello seems to be off a bit, and the poems etc don't get excluded when you narrow a search, it is still remarkably useful. Now they need to add some more of the apocryphal texts--Arden of Faversham was recently included as in part by WS by Oxford I think, and there are several still under suspicion of him helping on. But this couldn't have come at a better time for me.
I detest nag screens
I really, really hate vendors that throw up nag screens asking for ratings. It's bad enough in their own apps, but unconscionable to use the notification system for nagging. Apple clearly didn't design it for that purpose.
So here's my rating: one star. You asked for it, you got it.
UPDATE: I'm not sure why the developer has only now responded to a three-year old review, but in fairness, the nag screens have long since been removed, so I'm increasing the rating based on the app (decent) and content (excellent).
Great content, for free!
I use the free version.... it's a fun resource for a treasury of one of the greatest literary geniuses of all time! Love the daily quote at midnight - I can click it for the whole context and it gets me reading Shakespeare! I am considering upgrading to the Pro version for the notes/ context; Shakespeare's language is so rich, you really need an interpreter sometimes.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jul 06, 2017
- Version: 6.1.4
- Size: 129 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
- Seller: PlayShakespeare.com
- © Copyright 2008-2017 PlayShakespeare.com All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Upgrade to Shakespeare Pro$9.99