Scans printed sheet music using the built-in camera and plays it for you.
Ever wondered how that interesting-looking piece of sheet music actually sounds? It's easy with Sheet Music Scanner. Just point your iPhone or iPad at the sheet and let it play the notes for you. You can choose the instrument, pick the speed and enjoy!
2 for 1 universal iOS app: iPhone / iPod touch and iPad - you get Sheet Music Scanner for all your iOS devices for the price of one.
• Scan the whole sheet instantly using your built-in camera
• Scan and playback from any image in your Photo library or from a PDF *
• Playback from anywhere in the song - simply tap the measure, the notes and symbols are highlighted as they're played
• Export as MIDI, MusicXML, audio (M4A / AAC, MP3, WAV), PDF to cloud storage *, directly to other apps or via AirDrop
* Note on Export / Import: All major cloud storages supported: iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc. Note that the appropriate cloud storage client app has to be installed for this to work.
• Reads and recognizes the following symbols of musical notation pertaining to melody, harmony, and rhythm: treble, bass, and alto (viola) clefs, notes, duration dots, rests, accidentals, note ties *
• Support for voices played in tandem, e.g. both piano hands at the same time, or all the choir voices
• Support for playing individual staffs separately, e.g. right or left piano hand
• Support for multiple pages
• Accommodates speeds between 50 and 330 beats per minute
* Some limitations apply - please see at the bottom of the page.
• Accordion, Acoustic Bass, Alto Sax, Bagpipes, Banjo, Bass Guitar, Celeste, Cello, Choir, Clarinet, Double Bass, Flute, French Horn, Guitar - Classical, Clean, Distortion, Glockenspiel, Harp, Mandolin, Marimba, Oboe, Organ (Percussive, Pipe, Reed, Rock, Tonewheel), Piano, Recorder, Tenor Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Vibraphone, Viola, Violin, Xylophone
• Supports actual instrument pitch for the transposing instruments
• Supports pitch shift / sound transposition by semitones up to 2 octaves up or down
• Change your pitch standard based on instrument, from standard 440Hz to 380-480 Hz
MINIMUM RECOMMENDED DEVICES
iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2
• Reads printed sheet music, not handwritten or mimicking handwriting.
• Reads standard oval note heads only, no special symbols like shape notes, etc.
• The following symbols are not currently supported: repeat signs, codas, triplets / tuplets, percussion notation, dynamics, double sharps, double flats, and grace notes. These are planned to come in the future updates.
• The app currently reads 3 clefs: treble, bass, and alto. Recognition of octave clefs and clef changes in the middle of one staff are on the roadmap.
• Use high-quality printed sheet music and take photos under good enough light, when scanning from your camera, for optimal results.
• Some older prints and unusual fonts may not be recognizable.
If you experience any problems, please contact support at email@example.com
- Home Screen 3D Touch shortcuts added.
- Woodblock sound added.
- Improved compatibility with MuseScore and Finale, where note beams were not displayed.
- Improved recognition of accidentals and crotchet rests.
- Fixed an issue related to reading note heads close to each other.
- Improved VoiceOver support (Thanks to Helga!)
Ratings and Reviews
Overall very good
Overall this is very good. So far I used it on classical guitar pdfs. It is very close but can use some improvements. I'm noticing some notes being skipped ... some notes from a chord or a bass note ignored. I'm also noticing some timing issues within measures, so notes not being held for the correct duration. But I am trying this on some advanced classical guitar sheet music. It would probably be far more accurate on more basic or intermediate sheet music. This software appears to be excellent for beginners and players of all levels. So far I just started trying it out and I am impressed. I will be challenging this further, as I have some music with some very difficult timing. I am hoping this can help me. I am willing to share with you any inconsistencies or bugs I discover, to help you improve this app. For the price and capability, I don't know of anything better. Excellent job on this. Thank you!
I have just discovered this wonderful program which almost makes up for all the times I have said “I hate computers”. What it claims to do seems improbable, yet it lives up to the advertalk. It will read sheet music - - and then play it! My iPad computer with Sheet Music Scanner can sight read music as well as I can, only faster. That is an impressive feat. Now when I pick up a new piece I can hear it before I try to sight read it. How cool is that!
I discovered a problem when importing pdf’s so wrote to the developer, who quickly responded. We exchanged a few emails and within a few hours had a solution. His customer service is as good as his program.
If you are looking at this app and wondering - don’t hesitate, buy it now. Well worth the price.
Very Helpful in Learning Music
The way I use this app: I use this app as the instructions indicate, then I play the piece and try to improve my playing - I am trying to learn how to play piano by hitting the notes on a keyboard since I have no room or money to buy a larger piano. Important: I find this app extremely helpful in learning how a piece of music sounds because once you scan the printable piece of music - a song from a music book for example - the app plays the song. I need this function in order to learn how to play songs that I have never heard before. I am so very happy to have found this app. There are not many apps around like this one that actually work well. If I could give this app a million stars, I would!! Thank you.
- David Zemsky
- 67.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © David Zemsky
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.