Shoom is an expressive XY pad synthesizer. Or, more precisely, three identical synthesizers in one app. It is capable of playing any pitch in the audible range and doesn’t necessarily limit you to a particular scale. Nevertheless, if you do want to use scales, Shoom can deliver anything from common 12-tone equal tempered to xenharmonic and microtonal.
• Three independent synthesizers
• 20–20,000 Hz pitch range
• Slide freely or snap notes to scale with adjustable glide rate
• Set notes to infinite hold using a dedicated toggle
• Microtonal and non-octave repeating scales support
• MIDI CC control and clock sync (MIDI note input coming in a later update)
• Inter-App Audio, Audiobus 2 support
• 60+ bundled presets
• Import and export of presets and CC maps
Synthesizer engine features:
• Adjustable polyphony, up to 30 voices
• Two oscillators with 4 waveforms and PWM, and one noise generator
• Oscillator FM cross-modulation
• 4 pole (24 dB/octave) resonant low pass filter with overdrive and pitch tracking
• 2 variable slope ADSR envelopes for amplitude and filter cutoff
• 2 LFOs with 9 waveforms, up to 3 out of 12 simultaneously assignable parameters, trigger and global running modes, fade-in and phase controls
• Y axis position as modulation source with up to 3 of 15 simultaneously assignable parameters
• Note pan randomizer
• Built-in stereo delay and reverb effects
• Optional 'Equal Spacing' pad pitch layout (the only previously available option is now called 'Logarithmic')
• MIDI CC takeover modes (Pickup, Value Scaling)
• Control over currently selected synth with MIDI CC (in addition to previously available 'hardwired' Synth 1/2/3 mappings)
• Added separate 'Select Synth 1/2/3' actions for MIDI CC
• Audiobus 3 support (including AB MIDI)
• Ableton Link support
• Moved Sync settings to a separate menu inside Global Settings
• Synth engine optimizations
• Added 64-sample buffer size option
• Added new presets by Guido Flichman
• Fixed a bug where the sound could be suddenly muted in rare cases
• Fixed a bug where presets with names containing diacritics wouldn't be saved
• Fixed a bug where current CC map wouldn't be loaded on startup in some cases
• Fixed UI not being properly updated when changing current synth via MIDI CC
• Fixed Voice Stealing setting not being saved and loaded with the session
• Various other improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely amazing drone, noise, and ambient synth and interface!
THIS is what iOS synths should be like! Uses multitouch for more than just knobs and sliders. Amazing midi mapping depth.
It would super cool if you could record touch movement or even better, if you could assign an x/y LFO to touch points...
An arpeggiator would be cool to, but those are minor nits...
This app and TC11 are case studies in how to design synths for iOS devices...
Deep and Fun
And it sounds fantastic. Do read the reviews. It is more soundscape than a traditional synth. And if you are willing to invest some time, you can do a lot. Have fun.
Wish I would have read "Long Words" review...
I really hate leaving a bad review. So I changed the (THREE STAR RATE) to 5 stars...not that I like that app, but I bought the app because I seen the 5 stars that ppl rated it. I read random reviews and thought wow... this app must be amazing. Not so much... I am not sure what the appeal is?
So I will say ... if you are a serious musician, don't buy this synth! If you like to put together great sounds from synths that reproduce real instrument sounds..again this is NOT that synth.
However if you like odd sounds that sound like stuff you could never imagine being called music ..then this is your cup of tea.
I guess if you like ...ummm.... Scapes? I think that is what they are called, then maybe you will like this?
If you like odd sounds then get it...
But if you haven't moved into dub step, industrial drones, and weird sound effects then I would maybe pass this one up...
As I said I hate giving a bad review and low stars (so I will give 5 stars because I'm sure ppl who like odd noises will like this) but it's not for me ☹️
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.