The dictionary has an incredible one-third of the coverage of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary and includes all words in current English since 1700 to the present day, plus the vocabulary of Shakespeare, the Bible and other major works in English from before 1700.
With new coverage of global English, as well as slang, dialect, technical, historical, and literary terms, rare and obsolete words, the Sixth Edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary contains more than 600,000 words, phrases and definitions, with coverage of language from the entire English-speaking world, from North America and the UK to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and the Caribbean. It has been fully updated with 2,500 new words and meanings based on ongoing research at Oxford Dictionaries and the Oxford English Corpus.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Four new colorful themes.
• Delete and sort entries with Favorites/Recent list.
• General bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
I love this app
It's wonderful having a dictionary this detailed and thorough at my fingertips. I work for a company that writes language arts curriculum, and between work and just looking things up on my own as I'm reading something and encounter a word I have questions about, I often use it multiple times per day. It is one of my favorite apps.
I do agree with another reviewer who commented that in the most recent update, it's not as smooth when you finish looking at one word and want to look up another. I hope they'll improve that in the future if they haven't already. However, I have been enjoying this app for months and expect I'll continue to enjoy it in the future.
Please clean up the UI
After looking up one word, the most likely action if one doesn’t exit the app, is to look up another word. To do that, the user clicks on the search icon (magnifying glass), which pulls up the search field with the previous word already entered, plus the keyboard is shown. If the user wishes to find a different word, they would naturally tap the little (x) to clear the search field instantly. While the search field does clear, but the keyboard goes away and the user is placed at the beginning of the dictionary. *How often do people want to scroll through the dictionary starting at the beginning?* Clicking the (x) should clear the search field and maintain display of the keyboard.
Thank you for the comment. Please bear in mind that the redesign of the app was required due tot the updates of the iOS. We, as a developer, need to follow the trends in mobile progress and provide new features within the UI.
My Go To Dictionary
I have 3 dictionary apps on my phone. This was the last one added. Realized recently this is the one I go to first. I always like knowing the origin of a word as well as its definition. I find all that information front and center in a visually satisfying display. The embedded hyperlinks also prove helpful when my curiosity wants even more. The only "downside" is I sometimes find myself lingering in the joy of learning about the subtleties of a word's meaning and origin longer than I had expected.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.