Shorter Oxford English
By MobiSystems, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary contains an incredible one-third of the coverage of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary and includes all words in current English from 1700 to the present day, plus the vocabulary of Shakespeare, the Bible and other major works in English from before 1700.
With new coverage of global English, as well as slang, dialect, technical, historical, and literary terms, and rare and obsolete words, the Sixth Edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary contains more than 600,000 words, phrases, and definitions, with coverage of language from the entire English-speaking world, from North America and the UK to South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and the Caribbean. It has been fully updated with 2,500 new words and meanings based on ongoing research at Oxford Dictionaries and the Oxford English Corpus.
• NEW! With the addition of a convenient Home page, a sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches you can delve right into the intricacies of English faster and easier than ever!
• NEW! Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate– A speech recognition and text-to-speech app separate from this dictionary, which you can download for Free from the App Store. Whether you’re travelling or simply want to optimize your study of English, the great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 10.0.3
* iOS 11 support!
* Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Can't search directly from browsers, etc.
The content of the Shorter Oxford is excellent, but the app's usability is poor: (1) You can't look up words quickly from other apps. Many other dictionary apps let you select a word in another app, click on "share" and then tap on the dictionary app's icon to go directly to the entry you need. Without this feature, a dictionary app doesn't deserve more than two stars. (2) There is no quick way to access the key to pronunciation symbols from an entry, which many people will need to do frequently with the Shorter Oxford. (3) The "word-of-the-day" notification feature is broken beyond comprehension and has been for a long time. (4) The app's interface has been made uglier and less customized to the dictionary you are actually using, probably in an effort to become the delivery method of choice for all electronic dictionaries. I don't like the changes at all. I'm giving this app a single star not only because it has these problems, but also because they would be very easy to fix.
I love this app
It's wonderful having a dictionary this detailed and thorough at my fingertips. I work for a company that writes language arts curriculum, and between work and just looking things up on my own as I'm reading something and encounter a word I have questions about, I often use it multiple times per day. It is one of my favorite apps.
I do agree with another reviewer who commented that in the most recent update, it's not as smooth when you finish looking at one word and want to look up another. I hope they'll improve that in the future if they haven't already. However, I have been enjoying this app for months and expect I'll continue to enjoy it in the future.
Updated lower review
New interface is awful. It’s slow. Recurring popup asking to rate an app you already rated is unacceptable. Wild cards should be easily accessible. Really unimpressed by this latest update. Lowered my rating by 3 stars.
Below is my old 5 star review.
Excellent and thorough dictionary. Good support over the years. Unlike AHD which rips off people by changing developers, Shorter English remains supported over the years. Best definitions and etymologies.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 18, 2017
- Version: 10.0.3
- Size: 139 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Seller: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2017 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.