"A great App for Directors and DP's alike! Lightning fast shot designs. Don't be without it on the set." -- John Badham, Director, Saturday Night Fever, WarGames
"Excellent tool for planning my scenes fast!" -- Clint Reagan, Previz Supervisor, Hunger Games, Prometheus, Knight & Day, GI Joe
WHAT IS SHOT DESIGNER?
• CAMERA DIAGRAM - Shot Designer dramatically speeds up the Director's process of making camera diagrams. Create full-blown diagrams in seconds. The software does most of the work.
• ANIMATION - Animate your characters and cameras to move around your diagram in real-time. Previsualize the rhythm of a scene by seeing it play out.
• SHOT LIST - The integrated Shot List is tied into the diagram and writes itself while you work. Edit shots intuitively in the diagram, not in a confusing spreadsheet.
• DIRECTOR'S VIEWFINDER / STORYBOARDS - Bring in lens-accurate camera angles via the integrated Director's Viewfinder or Storyboard Import.
• MAC/PC DESKTOP VERSION - An identical Mac/PC Desktop Version is included with the Pro Version (in-app upgrade).
• SYNC & TEAM SHARING - Sync your scenes across all your devices. Share scene folders with teams. Control who owns which scene. (Pro Feature)
Watch the feature-demo at https://www.hollywoodcamerawork.com/shot-designer-videos.html
CAMERA-BLOCKING ON STEROIDS
Shot Designer was developed by Per Holmes, the creator of the renowned Hollywood Camera Work training, and has been developed in conjunction with major TV and Film productions.
Shot Designer is based on the realization that neither Camera Diagrams, Shot Lists, or Storyboards by themselves give you a satisfying understanding of camera-blocking -- you have to use them *together*.
Shot Designer is FAST. The app knows how Directing works and automatically does most of the work for you. Cameras rearrange themselves when you move characters. Animate characters and cameras with simple Walk To and Track To commands. Create sophisticated tracking shots with multiple marks. Shot Designer is fast enough that you can rearrange the diagram with actors waiting.
• Integrated Set Designer for building floor plans.
• Integrated Lighting Designer for DPs, with lighting symbols provided by Ari Golan of Atomic Imaging Studios Chicago.
• Import production drawings as backgrounds and block on top of them.
• Factory Templates of pre-made camera setups for any situation.
• Make your own templates as starting points for new scenes.
• Large and growing prop/furniture library. Email us requests, we'll build them.
• Scene Freeze: Experiment easily by taking snapshots you can return to (Pro).
• PDF/JPG/Excel export and emailing of Camera Diagrams and Shot Lists (Pro).
• Unlimited Folder Structure for organizing scenes (Pro).
The Free Version of Shot Designer is full-featured except for Save, Export and Sync/Team. Your current scene is always saved, and you can be fully productive working on one scene at a time. The Pro Version (in-app upgrade) adds File Management, identical Mac/PC Desktop Version, Sync and Team Sharing, PDF/JPG/Excel Export and more.
Fixed: Take Ownership works again, using account name.
Fixed: Improved crash reporting.
Fixed: Crash now properly cancels sync.
Ratings and Reviews
I hope the developer did not abandon this app. It's an incredibly portable and powerful way for a filmmaker or director of photography to work out scene ideas. It helps amateur filmmakers take their craft to the next level. Sometimes spontaneity is the right way to go, sometimes careful planning, especially of something more complex than "selfie" videos, is the right way to go. Shot Designer is an invaluable tool for the latter. Thumbs up all the way. (BTW, the tutorial videos are all there, lower down on the page.)
Not supported any more?
This is a wonderful app if you are using iPhones and cameras from 5 years ago.
As far as I can tell now the app isn't really getting support outside of software updates and glitches. The field of views on the camera are basic and don't include a way to switch between sensor sizes on any modern camera, the aspect ratios are limited, and the last version of the phone in their list to match field of view is the iPhone 5S. Other than that it's a great diagraming app.
Great app for overheads
Perhaps the best app for overheads a DP can buy. Well worth the money. Use the app to design overheads, shot lists, and storyboards (although best for overheads). You can also use the app on a computer once you've bought it, which is a huge plus.
- Hollywood Camera Work LLC
- 110.1 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015-2018 Hollywood Camera Work LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Version Upgrade $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.