ShotBox gives you easy access to perform actions on screenshots that you take on your Mac.
When ShotBox is running, screenshots that you take with the system keyboard shortcuts (Cmd-Shift-3 and Cmd-Shift-4) will pop up in a window allowing you to quickly share, edit or delete that screenshot without needing to hunt around your desktop for it first.
ShotBox can be configured to launch at login so you always have it running.
Please note: For ShotBox to function correctly, you must open the application and allow access to the path in which your screenshots are stored (this is usually your Desktop). ShotBox only detects screenshots placed there – it will not detect screenshots taken with Preview, Grab or the system-wide keyboard shortcuts that place screenshots in your clipboard (such as Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-3 and Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-4).
- Fixed an issue where the Markup button wouldn't work for some users
- Fixed an issue where the window animation wouldn't display correctly if you use multiple monitors in specific layouts
Ratings and Reviews
Part of my work involves annotating lots of screenshots, which is slow when you have to do the following repeatedly: take screenshot -> locate & open screenshot (this gets slower as more screenshots pile up in the same folder) -> activate markup tools -> annotate -> save -> drag to email/browser/slack.
I’ve previously tried to rig together scripts to reduce the friction in my workflow, but they were clunky at best. I just found ShotBox, and its iOS-inspired workflow is incredibly useful. This is going to save me so much time by automating everything except the steps I care about: annotate and drag-to-app.
A few things that could reduce friction a little more:
- Make the floating ShotBox window hover over all spaces. Currently the window doesn’t show up if you switch spaces.
- Cut down on the need to use the mouse by allowing the ShotBox window to become the active window when it appears
- Add a keyboard shortcut to bring up the Markup tools.
- Add a cmd+delete keyboard shortcut so I don’t have to use the mouse to hit the “delete” button in the sheet that appears when you close the window.
This is so great already though. It’s going to become an integral part of my screenshot workflow.
Love it when it works
This app is great. However, there are a few issues:
1. The animation option is broken. I had to turn it off. (The window slides in from the side once, and then it slides in again once I click on it)
2. Sometimes it either:
A. Just doesn’t work
B. Takes ~5 seconds for the window to show up.
Edit: I realized that I am using iCloud Desktop and that might have been causing the issue of the screenshot not appearing / taking a long time to appear. I set my screenshot save location to my downloads (google how, it’s simple) and now that issue seems to be fixed. The animation issue is still irritating.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.