By Benoît Bousquet
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Shrubs is an easy to use application making it possible to carry your family tree with you at all times. It can import standard genealogy files (GEDCOM format) and allows you to quickly navigate through your tree at the touch of a finger.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Version 3.0 of Shrubs is in the works and will be submitted to Apple when it is ready. It has been pushed back from the original scheduled date for a number of personal reasons and because I've decided to include more improvements into this release and did not want to rush it.
NOTE: Upgrading from version 1.x or 2.x will require you to import your GEDCOM file again as the internal database format has changed. Please make sure to export your pad entries before installing the update (when it's released) or they will be erased.
Shrubs only requires network access to initially import your tree data. It parses the specified GEDCOM file into its internal database and can operate in standalone fashion afterwards. Files can be imported from a web server through HTTP (this requires a web host, whether on the internet or on your local area network) or uploaded via a web browser on any computer on your local network, through WiFi.
Supported data file format: GEDCOM 5.5 lineage-linked files (industry standard format supported by most genealogy software).
- Simple, user-friendly interface
- Intuitive family tree navigation
- Designed to function offline once the data is imported
- Index of individuals
- Index of unions
- Individual and family events (with sources)
- Integrated note pad
- Shrubs is a viewer application and does not provide any record editing features
- supported GEDCOM version/form: 5.5 lineage-linked only
- supported GEDCOM character sets: ANSEL, ANSI, ASCII, MACINTOSH, UNICODE and UTF-8 only
- custom event types are displayed as "other"
- GEDCOM file size limit is currently set to 4 Mb (4096 Kb)
"Excellent program for access to family history data. This is particularly useful when you want to refer quickly for dates and other information without lugging around a laptop or other bulky written materials. I highly recommend Schrubs for your iPhone or iPod."
- R. de Mars (United States)
What's New in Version 2.2
- new "Pad" feature: text entries can now be associated to individuals and families and can later be viewed on the device or sent via e-mail for merging back into a desktop application (this is not an automated merge feature - it basically replaces carrying a note pad around)
- dates are now parsed and localized (feature can be disabled through the Settings app)
- database statistics are now available through the Tools tab
- people and union indexes can now be searched
Nice program, easy to use, does all the basics. It provides a database in your pocket. NOTE: as specified in the description, it does not import text notes or "unusual" tags. Imports birth/marriage/deaths just fine but tags such as "enlisted" will show as "other." Not a problem, in my opinion. Unlike other reviewer, I had no problem importing a file name that ends in ".GED". I did not rename it to ".TXT". I like the program.
It's a buck!
This app definitely has it's limitations but for .99 I feel like it is well worth it. So far, I have not seen how it displays "other marriages", but I am still playing with it.
I lost all the info on my computer. I have the info in this app. I wish I could upload a gedcom out of the app on to my computer.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 26, 2009
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 0.4 MB
- Languages: English, French
- Seller: Benoit Bousquet
- © 2008-2009 Benoît Bousquet
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.