The Sibley eGuide to the Birds of North America LITE
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This is a LITE version of The Sibley eGuide to the Birds of North America but is fully functional and includes ONLY 30 species, compared to 813 species in the full app. If you like the way this app works please check out the full version.
The Sibley Guide to Birds has become the most popular and fastest selling printed guide to birds as well as the most comprehensive and authoritative guide to North American Birds. Now this free LITE version includes:
Over 240 hi-res images including detailed maps showing not just winter and summer range but also migration and rare occurrence.
Every species is shown perched and in flight from above and below.
Shows every major seasonal, age, and male/female variation.
Detailed coverage of subspecies and regional variations.
Detailed descriptions of songs and calls, comparing similar species measurements of length, wingspan, and weight for almost every species.
Now all of that information is available in an easy-to-navigate portable format on the iPhone/iPad. In addition this version of the app also includes:
● Swipe to move to the next or previous species.
● One-tap enlargement of images and rotating the device expands images further.
● Over 190 carefully-selected and edited sound recordings. Nearly all species are represented with multiple examples showing the range of vocalizations.
● The ability to compare any two images, maps, or sounds, side by side on the screen.
● The ability to filter by state/province, so that you see only the species likely to occur in your location, and to further reduce the possibilities to the most common birds in that area.
● The ability to search by distinguishing features such as size, prominent colors, habits, and group.
● A basic personal species list that stores your sightings saved to the device* with the ability to export the list using email or iTunes file sharing.
*Uninstalling/reinstalling the app will result in the loss of your list, it is recommended that you keep your own backup (master list) separate from the application.
We invite all users to share their comments and ideas on our forum at www.mydigitalearth.com
NB. This Application WILL ONLY work on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch running iOS V3.1 or higher NOT A NORMAL IPOD CLASSIC/NANO and the download is about 40MB
What's New in Version 1.1
● The bird names in the lists throughout the app can be displayed in a choice of four languages – English, French, Spanish and Latin. This can be changed in “My Location and Language” on the Main Menu.
● Added thumbnails to the main lists of birds.
● Added the ability to look up previous Locations in My List when adding a species.
● Updated parts of the app to take advantage of the larger screen on iPhone 5
● A few bugs and errors have been fixed
I've had a Sibley field guide for over 10 years now and it is well used so I was excited when I found this App. Same great pictures and info PLUS really great bird song audio and all on something I have with me at all times - my phone. Would have given it 5 stars if you could add GPS coordinates to your sighting info.
No use of location services!?
Who builds a native app and doesn't make use of the native features. The app looks like it could be useful but if it made use of location services. I do not want to type in a location every time - especially when my GPS coordinates are easily available! Won't be buying app until they've added this feature.
Fine but there all only 30 species
Seems like the full app is probably great
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 06, 2013
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 62.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Cool Ideas LLC
- © 2013 Cool Ideas LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.