Sid Meier's Pirates!
By Feral Interactive Ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Discover what it takes to become one of the most famous pirates in history!
Before you buy, expand this description to check the system requirements below.
Based on Sid Meier’s original masterpiece, Pirates! invites you to live the life of a 17th-century Buccaneer in this epic, open-ended seafaring adventure.
Test your skills as a privateer flying the Jolly Roger across the Caribbean. Duel enemy captains, exchange plank-shattering broadsides and seize valuable booty, woo fair maidens, dig up buried treasure, and of course plunder unsuspecting ports. As your reputation and skills grow, so will the size and quality of your crew, and your ability to take on larger enemy ships, raid heavily fortified ports, and locate ancient treasure. There’s a whole cast of interesting and dangerous characters to meet, mysteries to solve, and exotic island destinations to discover.
It’s a game of high adventure, where brave and skilled players battle for treasure and glory. Those who succeed achieve great fame and wealth – and those who fail rest forever in Davy Jones’ locker!
• Battle, overtake and command 27 different ship types, enhanced with assorted ammo, cannon and other upgrades.
• Take on various foes including merchant and military captains, ferocious pirates, evil gentry and even rival suitors; each with different skills and abilities.
• Engage in fierce naval battles fighting single enemies or multiple ships.
• Sneak into towns, escape out of prisons, navigate around adversaries and surprise enemy vessels.
• Dispatch landing parties of buccaneers in strategic battles to take over entire cities.
Important information regarding Sid Meier’s Pirates:
• Please note that we cannot reply to comments or questions left in Mac App Store reviews. If you require assistance, please contact our support team at email@example.com
• You can find out more about the game on the Sid Meier’s Pirates! mini-site at feralinteractive.com/pirates
• Minimum System Requirements: Processor: 1.4 GHz, RAM: 512MB, Graphics: 64MB, Free Space: 1.4GB.
• This game is not currently supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive).
© 2005-2011 Take-Two Interactive Software and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. 2K Games, the 2K Games logo, and Take-Two Interactive Software are all trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Sid Meier’s Pirates! © 2005-2011 Firaxis Games, Inc. All rights reserved. Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Feral and the Feral logo are trademarks of Feral Interactive Ltd.
What's New in Version 1.1.2
Fixes a crash on launch that affects users running in Eastern European or Asian languages. If you do not run your Mac in any of those languages you will not see the issue and do not need to install the update.
Users running in English DO NOT need to install the update.
For an older game, I tried to keep my expectations lower. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed and I feel the price on the game is a bit high. Remastering and backporting do not justify the cost for the title as the gameplay is rugged, at best; furthermore, the graphics and sound qualities are not very good either. As for plot and storyline - while there is a story line, there is no direction and no guidance. I understand the philosophy of open-ended games, but even with other titles that are considered open-ended, you are still given some "push" in a certain direction. With this title, you are thrown quickly into the game. You have a shoddy quest button that allows you to see what pirates and treasures are near, but other than that I have yet to find just what it is I'm supposed to be accomplishing, or where I'm supposed to be going.
That being said, if you have a quick 20 minutes to kill, this is the game for you - you can manuver your ship, attack and raid other boats to increase your loot, crew and fleet. The game runs fine on my MBA (base). I do not suggest paying this much for the title, however, if you insist on trying the title - I suggest you find another source, as the asking price is just too much for what the game is (just not enough "bang for your buck").
Worth buying, make sure you update for the new keymappings.
First off this is one of my all time favorites from childhood and I'm played/purchased virtually every version ever made and absolutely love the remake. the only complaint I had with it was the keymappings where for a keypad which of course most newer macs simply do not have... untill the latest update! yes even though they say you don't need to update it's worth it just for the new keymappings. Thanks again for an awesome port of a sid Meyer's classic!
Slightly repetitious but still a great game.
The best part is the ship battles and the sword fights. I would recommend playing with an external keyboard and mouse, and as soon as you get the hang of it on easy mode, switch to a tougher mode.
And you really feel like a pirate when you rack up a dislike rating with one of the powers that be, so much so that they send ships after you.
All in all: Great game.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jun 21, 2011
- Version: 1.1.2
- Size: 934 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Feral Interactive Ltd
- © 2005-2011 Take-Two Interactive Software and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. Developed for and published on the Mac by Feral Interactive Ltd.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later