Sid Meier's Railroads!
By Feral Interactive Ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Build a railroad empire and shape a nation!
Before you buy, expand this description to check the system requirements below.
Lay track, route trains and watch the world come to life in this compelling mix of train set and business simulator. Become the ultimate railroad robber baron with the drive to shape a nation, build an empire and amass a fortune.
Spanning the history of the railroads from the steam engines of the 1830s to the bullet trains of today, Sid Meier’s Railroads! is a bold re-imagining of the legendary Railroad Tycoon (1990), the game that launched the “tycoon” genre.
• Steam across 16 maps and seven historical scenarios that cover over 150 years of American and European history.
• Control 40 historically-accurate trains, from the 0-4-0 Grasshopper to the TGV bullet train, customizing them with your own colour schemes and liveries.
• Engage in corporate warfare with rival tycoons, slick entrepreneurs and robber barons such as J. Pierpont Morgan and Cornelius Vanderbilt.
• Choose your cargo wisely! Marry the supply of natural resources with the demands of industry to create a thriving economy.
• Trade stock, build industries and bid for patents to steam ahead of the competition.
• Build the model railroad of your dreams in “Train Table” mode, where your imagination is free from the pressures of finance or competition.
• Sabotage your rivals and monopolise the industry in LAN multiplayer mode or online using Apple’s Game Center Technology (requires Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion).
Important information regarding Sid Meier’s Railroads!
• Please note that we cannot reply to comments or questions left in Mac App Store reviews. If you require assistance, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Minimum System Requirements: Processor: 1.8 GHz, RAM: 3GB, Graphics: 128MB, Free Space: 1.5GB.
• The following graphics cards are not supported: ATI X1xxx series, NVIDIA 7xxx series and Intel GMA series.
• You can find out more about the game on the Sid Meier’s Railroads! mini-site at feralinteractive.com/railroads
What's New in Version 1.0.1
Fixes a number of minor issues.
Fun for a while
I've been playing it 4 or 5 hours a day for the last 5 days, and it hasn't crashed yet.
This is interesting, tho I keep wanting more control over the smaller details. The AI that routes trains is really dumb. It doesn't look ahead at the whole track to check for oncoming trains. It only routes trains around each other if they actually meet at a switch. If you have switches with a long track length between them, you can count on trains ending up head-to-head quite often even if there is a parallel track one of them could have taken instead. After a minute or two, the AI will just let them pass thru each other, but it is still quite a bit of lost time and thus money. For a while I thought it was even more broken than it is, until I noticed that depots LOOK like they can handle 4 parallel tracks at once but can only handle 2 at a time. Stations can handle 3, and terminals 4 tracks at once.
Other Sid Meier games give you so much more control over smaller details, Civ being the classic example. I was looking forward to designing routing/switching patterns to keep things flowing, for example. I also wanted to be able to load up a full train with cargo and drop one car at each stop, but it doesn't work like that. Everything is unloaded and completely reloaded at each stop. Your only tool in making trains/cargo/passengers go where they want is to put them on separate tracks. And industries that feed each other do not do so if they are in the same city.
Great port of its PC origins. Worthy addition to my MAC gaming library
Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2012
I originally played this game on the PC when it was released. Yes, it was released some time ago but this is pretty much the norm that a MAC port does take some time to appear, if ever. I have to say it is an excellent port of its original windows counterpart.
++ The graphics have actually aged pretty well and look good on my macbook with higher resolution, antialias, and detail settings on max.
++ The game is tightly woven into the Apple gamecenter to allow multiplayer action let it be with a friend or complete stranger.
++ I did not experience any crashes as of yet after a week of playing extensively.
++ The game allows the addition of mods which there is an active community creating and maintaining.
One thing to note. Many people go into this game expecting it to be the Railroad Tycoon series that was taken over by POPTOP. This game is not like the others. Sid Meier revisited the series he started and created a more simplified streamlined version allowing anyone to jump in and play without being overwhelmed. After you begin purchasing a few dozen trains it does tend to be overwhelming trying to keep track of all of them as well as their exact routes.
My gamecenter screen name - californiasurfboy
More Fun than I expected + a Santas workshop level!
OK, I can't say if this was or wasn't here before, but playing it today - I noticed a north pole level!
I was surprised at how much fun this turned out to be - I've just wasted my whole morning!
It crashed once on me, but not too bad given how long I'd played it for.
I've noticed it seems to auto save often so it shouldn't be that bad.
Plays great on my 15" Macbook pro hooked to a 27" Screen at 2560x1440.
Once nice touch with this game is it lets you choose which screen to display on (you can also display in a window)
I also have Civilization and on that it full screens on the main monitor only.
Learning curve wise, It did take me about 20 minutes to really get into it.
Once you do, I think there are enough missions/objectives to make this a lasting game that you'll get your money's worth on.
Compared to Civilization - this is a different style game - Civ works on a turn by turn system, this is realtime. and of course the objectives are different.
Compared to Trainz - Sid Meier's Railroads is a reasonably polished game that is fun to play, Trainz is a simulator, and really fills a different purpose.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Nov 06, 2012
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 748 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Feral Interactive Ltd
- © 2006–2012 Take-Two Interactive Software and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. Sid Meier’s Railroads!, 2K Games, the 2K logo, Firaxis Games, the Firaxis Games logo and Take-Two Interactive Software are all trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Uses Miles Sound System. Copyright ©1991-2012 by RAD Game Tools, Inc. Portions of this software are included under license: ©2006–2012 Scaleform Corporation. All rights reserved. Uses Gamebryo software ©1999-2012 Emergent Game Technologies. Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. Feral and the Feral logo are trademarks of Feral Interactive Ltd. All other marks and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: OS X 10.7.5 or later