Signal Generator: Audio Test Tone Utility
By Media Punk Studios
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Signal Generator is an app that produces audio test tones. The basic app produces sine waves, and it can be extended and customized (via in-app purchases) to produce white noise, pink noise, frequency sweeps, and (on iPhone 4 and better) square waves, sawtooth waves, and triangle waves.
• Tone Generator. The basic app includes a sine wave generator that generates signals from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a 44.1 kHz sample rate, 16-bit samples, and 96 dB of dynamic range. Frequency control via logarithmic knob or keyboard input.
• Pro Tone Generator. (Optional in-app purchase). Extends the frequency range down to 1 Hz, and adds stereo control and buttons to increment the frequency in steps. On iPhone 4 and better, alias-reduced classic waveforms are available. Square waves, sawtooth waves, and triangle waves are generated with aliasing kept to -54 dB or less.
• Noise Generator. (Optional in-app purchase). Produces white noise, pink noise, and brown noise. Pink noise falls off at 3 dB per octave (±1 dB). Brown noise falls off at 6 dB per octave.
• Frequency Sweeps. (Optional in-app purchase). Adjustable start and stop frequencies. Linear or logarithmic sine wave frequency sweeps. Single shot sweeps, repeating upward sweeps, and upward/downward sweeps.
This app can be used to:
• Test Speakers and Headphones
• Balance your Home Theater System
• Tune Your Car Audio System
• Mask Environmental Noise
• Burn In Headphones
• Tune Musical Instruments
What's New in Version 1.7.3
Fixed a crash that would occur during start up under certain conditions. Fixed the sweep mode button forgetting its last state.
Tone Generator put to the test
I started with the free tone generator and realized that this app was awesome when it came to analyzing audio amplifiers. I used a Tektronix scope and found that this generator is cleaner and more accurate than the lab unit that I have at work. Since then, I have purchased all of the additional generators offered within the app, and let me just say that they all rival or exceed the pro commercial ones that my sound lab has purchased for equipment evaluations not to mention what each unit cost when originally purchased. This app is truly amazing. You will love using this app on all kinds of amplifiers, and speakers, as well as evaluating headsets.
Great app, very useful
I needed a waveform generator to help with frequency response testing, and this app does the job perfectly. After trying out the sine wave functionality, I purchased the rest of the features - I especially needed & like the noise generation (three types) and frequency sweep modes. For what this does, it beats using a bench top generator - on both price and portability. The additional features such as L/R channel select, semi-tone/cents/Hz increments, log/linear sweep, etc. make this even more useful.
My need is to be able to find pitches that are feeding back in live stage monitors. For that purpose this is a great tool! Since that's all I need, I'll probably be using this for a long time. It gives you the precise frequency that you're listening to numerically which works great with the modern digital mixing consoles. I can basically tell the engineer exactly what frequency to go to cut using this tool.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jul 08, 2015
- Version: 1.7.3
- Size: 7.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Media Punk Studios LLC
- © Media Punk Studios
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Tone Generator Pro$2.99
- Noise Generator$2.99
- Sweep Generator$2.99