Signal - Private Messenger
By Open Whisper Systems
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Privacy is possible, Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real time with all your friends at once, and share media all with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end to end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so you can have private conversations with all your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group metadata such as the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Using Signal, messages are instantly delivered to friends.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@WhisperSystems) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
What's New in Version 2.16.1
• Updated translations for Khmer and Lithuanian
• Added more ways to choose your profile pictures. Now you can choose from all your photo albums!
• Updated to show a profile name on the call screen.
Other recent changes:
• *NEW FEATURE* Profiles allow you to securely add an optional picture and display name that will be shown alongside your existing phone number when communicating with other users. Conversations will feel more personal. Group threads will be less confusing. Learn more: https://signal.org/blog/
• Enabled support for the High Efficiency Image File Format in iOS 11.
• Updated scrolling behavior so that users will start at the unread indicator when entering a thread with lots of new messages.
• Improved the display of profile pictures to consistently show them after the app launches and when receiving sync messages from a linked Signal Desktop.
• Adjusted the registration flow to prevent and fix another instance of one-way messaging with a contact.
• Changed dynamic interactions so that they are not treated as an unseen message.
• Improved the "Load Earlier Messages" feature to show more dynamic interactions.
• Removed a brief appearance of the scroll-to-bottom button when entering a conversation.
• Addressed a couple of instances where the scroll-to-bottom button was not working.
• Fixed an issue where conversations would jump up a couple of pages after ending a call and when the app was brought back to the foreground.
• Added improvements to scrolling and keyboard functionality when there is less than a screenful of content in a conversation thread.
• Removed the limit for the number of pages that “Load Earlier Messages” would display.
• Fixed a jolting animation that appeared on some devices after sending a message.
• Cleaned up several layout glitches in the messages view.
• Improved the alert icon layout while using a right-to-left language.
• Optimized GIF handling.
• Solved a few bugs that could cause the app to crash.
• Added other design and performance improvements.
Things to add
The app isn't bad just like any other messaging app but these things should definitely be included:
1. Add the time for each message when it was sent and also a read receipt for when the last read message was read
2. A like option for any message or picture
3. A way to view all the pictures/media in like a gallery or a list view (rather than have to scroll through the entire conversation to find a picture), along with the ability to swipe between pictures
4. A way to select multiple messages to delete certain ones within the chat
5. Add gifs and other new text features other than just emojis
I got most of these ideas from other apps like groupme and WhatsApp which have most of these features. If signal had these features it would be just as good as those apps. Otherwise not a bad app.
Would like to see a lock or password screen to access messages. Also, I would like to be able to customize an alert sound.
Annoying disappearing text box
The chat/ text box disappears on my 7+. I always have to back out of the app for it to re-appear. It's really frustrating. I see there is still not a fix for this yet. My patience is wearing thin.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 22, 2017
- Version: 2.16.1
- Size: 52.4 MB
- Languages: English, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Seller: RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- © Open Whisper Systems
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.