Privacy is possible. Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real-time with all of your friends at once, and share media and other files with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end-to-end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source and peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so that you can have private conversations with all of your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group information like the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Messages are delivered quickly and reliably.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• Look for visual updates and improvements throughout the app. See some new sights while you plan your summertime sightseeing.
We would like to thank Signal's community of beta testers for their valuable feedback and help with this release.
If you would like to help us test future versions of Signal, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include 'Join the iOS Beta' in the subject line.
Ratings and Reviews
Best Privacy App Yet
This is simply the best privacy app with everything neatly bundled into it. It has a nice authentication feature, sms & mms messaging & disappearing messages with people [to keep them clean if you’d like], calls, and keeps it all private, app switch privacy [keeping the screen blank for privacy while switching apps so wandering eyes cannot see the screen], and many more features packed into this powerhouse. To anyone experiencing any issues with calls, make sure your notifications are on and properly set with the app, and look into the settings in the app itself and it easily shows how to have your calls show up with the name [if you would like to] or just a call without a name. The settings are a breeze and make it very easy to understand.
Very rarely you’ll have to re-register for push notifications, but that’s also very easily accomplished.
If I could rate higher than 5 stars I would. 10 stars out of 5 stars is more like it...
Wow I love it
Everything about this app is pretty much spot on it is the best way to chat with your friends and not feel nervous of people watching. The timer feature is extremely useful in allows both parties to set a Time limit on the message very helpful. I have been using this app for almost 2 years now and have sent all my friends over only way to communicate. Reason for writing this review is I would like to change one option if that is something you guys would consider and that is changing the calling feature so it gives you another menu so you don’t just click it and it calls right away and tells the user that you try to call them. Just make some other second screen that allows you to confirm the call but other than that this app is perfect.
Signal is one of my all-time favorite apps!
Uses very little memory, small on the harddisk, easy on the cache; even with a very old phone (5s). Have had this app 6 months or so and love it! You can video call, audio call and send / receive text, photos, documents and videos.
Contrary to the majority of other solutions, it uses very little data, even on a 2-way video call. This app has no bells and whistles, but this is what makes it so good. For lots of bling (and bloat) try WhatsApp or SnapChat.
Signal does just a few things, but it does them well. Security is one of them, no-frills messaging is another. One favorite function for me is the device sync. You can text and view media on your desktop, laptop or tablet.
The cons are few; the video call quality could be better, the audio during calls is not the best--but is workable, and some of the updates have been a bit buggy, causing the app to hang when viewing media.
A request for something to add; video and audio call capabilities on Windows / OSX, and IOS & Droid tablets.
I'm looking forward to its improvement now that it has good funding. My hope is the developers will keep it light and slim.
- RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- 92 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Open Whisper Systems
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.