Signal - Private Messenger
By Open Whisper Systems
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Privacy is possible, Signal makes it easy.
Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real time with all your friends at once, and share media all with complete privacy. The server never has access to any of your communication and never stores any of your data.
• Say Anything - Signal uses an advanced end to end encryption protocol that provides privacy for every message every time.
• Open Source - Signal is Free and Open Source, enabling anyone to verify its security by auditing the code. Signal is the only private messenger that uses open source peer-reviewed cryptographic protocols to keep your messages safe.
• Be Yourself - Signal uses your existing phone number and address book. There are no separate logins, usernames, passwords, or PINs to manage or lose.
• Group Chat - Signal allows you to create encrypted groups so you can have private conversations with all your friends at once. Not only are the messages encrypted, but the Signal server never has access to any group metadata such as the membership list, group title, or group icon.
• Fast - The Signal protocol is designed to operate in the most constrained environment possible. Using Signal, messages are instantly delivered to friends.
• Speak Freely - Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@WhisperSystems) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
What's New in Version 2.12.2
• *NEW FEATURE* Send voice messages from Signal iOS! Tap the microphone icon to start recording. Once you lift your finger, it sends.
• Added option to edit and save new numbers from within Signal.
• Added ability to add non-contacts to groups.
• Improved ability to start conversation by inputting a number.
• Removed contacts permission requirement.
• Added alert to confirm save/cancel for unsaved group changes.
• Improved contact views to display all Signal numbers for contacts with multiple ones.
• Optimized media preview alerts for photos taken directly within Signal.
• Fixed specific crashes for incoming and outgoing phone calls.
• Completed other calling improvements.
• Adjusted display of group avatars.
• Removed waveform for audio attachments.
• Changed how other attachments are displayed.
• Fixed issue where messages drafts were reappearing.
• Included many other improvements throughout Signal.
Needs Improvement. This app needs a lot of improvement starting with the basics of adding and especially deleting contacts deleting contacts is extremely important and should not have to go through multiple steps on my personal contact list to delete from your app which should work independently in that regards I email I emailed tech-support and they suggested I delete the contact from my phone instead of from the app which I think is just really stupid matter fact it is really stupid and the team is not thinking about the end consumer or User that is bad customer service and bad for the application in itself. Another part of this Antby should be upgraded is the Y user interface please take time to hire a graphic artist and get this done right this app could be so much more. But it's hard to tell because the staff is too busy turning out programs and not paying attention to what the customer is telling him or her get this app done right when it's next major overhaul give us options and the option to choose to delete to add within the app itself. Also give the customer more stealth options
Still Best in class
Audited open-source crypto. Best-in-class Axylotl ratchet. Forward secrecy. Content not retrievable by Whisper Systems. Facebook bought the tech for WhatsApp. Unlike WA, Signal doesn't monetize your social network and other metadata. Security is 5+.
Features I'd like: selection checkboxes to copy or delete an arbitrary number of messages (you can only copy one and delete all at present); TouchID for launch; option to use it without linking all your Contacts; option to register an anonymous ID rather than phone number.
Beware that registering the same phone number on a second device will deregister the original device. You can't reverse that without deleting the app and all messages from the original device. It's a security feature but comes without adequate warning.
Nice to know: with headset you can send and receive voice calls on an iPod or IPad.
Fast and full featured for security and privacy
Signal is fast and easy to use and I love all the built in options like hiding the chat when the app switcher is foregrounded and hiding the message in the lock screen notifications. I've never felt more secure or private using a social app and I love it!
One tiny request to the app developers, if there is a way to securely generate preview cards for linked URL's please add this feature. I like sending links to friends and miss the iMessage URL preview cards.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: May 22, 2017
- Version: 2.12.2
- Size: 55.4 MB
- Languages: English, Albanian, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Macedonian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
- Seller: RIDDLE QUIET VENTURES, LLC
- © Open Whisper Systems
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.