By Tien Thinh Vu
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
SimpleCAD is an easy, simple to learn 2D Computer Aided Design program (CAD) made to meet all of your basic design needs.
SimpleCAD is more than just a vector paint program, because you could move, copy, edit, scale, rotate and offset… objects.
Main Functions of the application:
- Basic draw items: including freehand lines, line, polyline, orthogonal line, tangent line, parallel line, rectangle, polygon, circle, arc (NOTE: native ellipse is not supported, only support ellipse created by polyline object). Text box, callout box, picture box (imported from image file), measure items…
- Modify functions: move, erase, copy, mirror, offset, rotate, scale, stretch items' vertices, lengthen, trim, extend, break, chamfer, fillet and explode polyline, join, array, polar array.
- Auto Snap point setting: Snap to grid, end points of objects, on entity, center of arc - line - circle, middle point of arc - line, intersections, snap to top, left, right, bottom edges of a circle, arc
- Multi layers: you could create new layer to draw more items. Layers could be shown, hidden independently.
- Add image: You could add any image file (support file type: gif, jpeg, png, bmp, pict, tiff) to display as an item inside the application.
Image file could be shown in following modes: Stretch / Fit inside bound / Fit outside bound.
The application also allows to DRAG/DROP many image files directly from Finder (or press Cmd-V to paste image from current Clipboard) to current editing window to add them to the diagram.
- Add items (block) to Block Template list:
Right click on selected items then select "Add to template list" to save the block to template list so that you can reuse it later
- Customizable background:
Background color, total size of the diagram could be changed during editing.
Background color also can be set to transparent.
- Open/Save to "*.AAD" file:
AAD (*.aad) is the new file type created only for this application.
Press "⌘S" to save current diagram to an AAD file so that you could load it later for editing.
- Capture to clipboard:
Press "⌘9" or click on Capture button to export current diagram image to clipboard, then you could paste that image to another application.
Example: Open [Preview] application, press "⌘N" to paste above captured image to view or to save to an image file.
Of course, you could paste that image to Excel, Word application too.
- Supports Metric or English units (you could change it in the Preferences dialog)
- Unlimited Undo/Redo (shortcut key: Cmd-Z / Shift-Cmd-Z)
- Copy / Paste (shortcut key: Cmd-C / Cmd-V)
- Group / Ungroup Items (shortcut key: Cmd-G / Shift-Cmd-G)
- Lock/Unlock items position (shortcut key: Cmd-L / Shift-Cmd-L)
- Change display order
- Export to png, jpeg, tiff, pdf image file (shortcut key: Cmd-E)
- Print supported (shortcut key: Cmd-P)
What's New in Version 1.81
- Fix bugs
In previous update:
- support to show unit in Feet-inches format
- manual drag and move by: hold ALT then drag mouse
- manual drag and move by: right mouse click then drag mouse
- manual drag and copy by: hold ALT-CONTROL key then drag mouse
- improve User Interface
- support to show Ruler
- add Zoom in, Zoom out short cut key
- add Point mark object
- add “Copy to another layer”, “Move to another layer” menu
- allow user to edit measure object’s text content
- allow user to direct edit coordinate information of selected object by new text boxes on the left toolbar
- fix arrow head size
Easy to use Drawing Package, Well worth the price!
I started using this app because I am not a draftsman and I needed to be able to generate scale drawings of industrial facilities with some detail. I’ve been using the current version of SimpleCad for about 2 weeks now and I’ve found it to be very easy to learn and use. I’m sure that other user develop much more detailed drawings than I’ve needed; But even for my needs, the layers, the features for dimensioning and measuring, the variety of standard engineering symbology, and simple but flexible tools have made it well worth the price. If you’re looking for an economical tool to quickly learn and use, I strongly recommend you use SimpleCAD!
UPDATE new version broken
I want hobbiest CAD. I want to make simple mechanical drawings for stuff I can build in the garage/basement. My CAD experience is extreemely limited (none in the past seven years). Going from no CAD to SimpleCAD is like being unchained from the cave. I may well outgrow this stripped down package, but for now it’s doing me super. On the first day, I created drawings for a project with the front view on one layer, the dimentions on another, and a few other layers for oblique projections, hardware, and whatnot. It was a struggle at first, but I’ve gotten pretty zippy with it in just a couple days.
The only real problem I have with it, is the help isn’t as helpful as it could be. It’s a .pdf file and I believe it was translated from another language. It’s not a bad translation compared to some I’ve encountered, but it does sometimes lack for clarity. Still, there was nothing I couldn’t figure out by playing with it for a bit.
They broke this App. In the previous version you could set the size of a rectangle in the left text boxes. Those boxes are now gone and new "Size & Position" boxes are located to the right of the drawing. But they don't work. You can't simply specify a rectangle be 3x5
Excellent 2D CAD App
I praise Apple for making this 2D CAD app available. Thank You!
It’s easy to use and responsive. I am an advanced CAD user, but now only use CAD for home projects. This app is great.
I most respectively suggest three possible upgrades.
1. It would be great to have a drawing template capability with the option to save the current drawing as a template and then a preference to choose the template to open with the program.
2. It would be nice to have the upper limit on entities saved in a block expanded. I found that only 100 entities can be saved as a reuseable block. If this could be expanded to say 500, it would be better.
3. It would be nice to have the option to work with a black background and white lines, and then print the drawing with the lines automatically black and a white background. Colors would not be inverted. This is typical of higher end CAD programs.
Again, it’s overall awesome and I’m so happy to have it.
- Category: Graphics & Design
- Updated: Apr 06, 2015
- Version: 1.81
- Size: 4.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Tien Thinh Vu
- © 2015 Vu Tien Thinh
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later