Simplex Spelling Light improves spelling and reading skills in a fun and interactive way using a unique “reverse phonics” approach in combination with contextually relevant spelling rules. It has the same critically acclaimed design and features as the full version of Simplex Spelling HD but comes with its own new high frequency word spelling lists.
This Light version has been made available, so that customers can evaluate the Simplex Spelling software to decide if they want to purchase the full version of Simplex Spelling HD.
Simplex Spelling Light contains over 50 new high frequency English words that do not appear in the full version of Simplex Spelling HD so the two products compliment each other beautifully. It also contains all of the great learning features of the full version of Simplex Spelling HD.
In contrast with many of the current approaches that use flash cards, Simplex Spelling enables the student to build each word. Students gain skills above and beyond the sheer memorization of words, as the informative spelling rule hint feature explains why words are spelled in a particular manner.
Simplex Spelling's unique, immediate letter by letter feedback system is designed with clues and hints that will enable every student to spell each word successfully.
Simplex Spelling enhances understanding in a variety of students as it appeals to audio, visual and tactile learners. It is great tool to have for kids learning to spell, remedial students, or those learning English as a second language.
- "Top Rated" - Balefire Labs.
Recommended for ages 5+.
Note: You can not create your own spelling lists in Simplex Spelling Light.
- Over 50 high frequency spelling words to help build literacy.
- Spelling words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context.
- The introduction spelling list seamlessly leads a student through all of the application’s features by providing spoken information while having the student spell new words.
- A powerful phonics hint feature sounds out each word and provides a list of possible phonograms for each sound.
- Features a full “reverse phonics” approach that includes sounds made by all the different letter combinations. This is in addition to the basic “single letter” phonics that most applications are limited to.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Unique letter by letter feedback system that provides feedback while the student is in the process of spelling each word.
- Guaranteed success on every word.
- Support for 40 user accounts.
- User stats screen that allows you to see at a glance words that have been mastered and words that require further practice.
- Ability to export & email student reports.
- Remembers each user’s position in every list, so that you can immediately resume from where you last left off.
- Supports both upper and lower case letters.
- Supports both alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Supports both US, UK and Canadian English spelling of words.
- An approach that appeals to audio, visual and tactile learners.
KNOW WHAT'S INSIDE
As a MOMs with Apps member, we follow the
"Know what's inside" best practices for kids' apps
We care about your child's privacy.
- Does not contain 3rd party ads.
- Does not share any data.
- Does not track your child's location.
- Does not contain In-App purchases.
- Does not contain links to social media.
- Does not contain push notifications.
- Contains in app links to view a safe enclosed version of the developer's website for additional information, support and teaching tips.
- Contains child protected links that allow you to : "email the developer questions", to rate the app and to view other Pyxwise apps.
Updated for iOS 11.
Ratings and Reviews
Shows All the Spelling Combinations for a Given Sound
The words chosen for the sample lists seemed haphazard until I looked at the full version. In the full version, they are organized by spelling pattern, which makes more sense.
My 6 year old enjoys this game. He is homeschooled and we just started working on spelling, after getting him reading well enough to read chapter books. He likes being able to use the hint button, which shows him all the different ways to spell a certain sound. When he gets a word right without any mistakes or using a hint, it is added to his "mastered words" list. Each day, I have him practice the "missed words" from his list, so he spends his time working on words he needs help with, instead of having to redo the easy ones over and over.
I just bought the full version and can't wait for him to use it.
As a professor of literacy, veteran elementary teacher, and mother of a third grader, I give this app a very high rating. The speech to sound match is excellent which is crucial for learning spelling skills. The support for the learner is well done and follows effective teaching and learning practices, scaffolding support in ways that encourage further learning and reasoning from the student. The app also is straightforward and easy to use for students. Unlike many educational apps, this one is extremely focused on the learning and doesn't have excess fluff that results in limited time spent learning and too much time spent playing around. If students spent 5-10 minutes a day with this app, I am convinced their phonics skills would improve, which is what my daughter will now be doing! :)
Great Spelling App
I love this app. My kids enjoy doing all four levels every day and when they master all the words without the mistakes I plan on purchasing the next level. I also like that when they make a mistake they can click on the hint button and see all the phonograms that make that sound. At the end of the level it will show them a list of words that they missed and give them the opportunity to go through their missed words until they get them correct.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.