Simplex Spelling improves English spelling and reading skills in a fun and interactive way by combining a unique “reverse phonics” approach with contextually relevant spelling rules that explain why words are spelled in a particular manner. It works like a personal spelling coach with every word.
Simplex Spelling HD teaches the Dolch sight words to establish a base foundation in spelling and reading fluency.
Please check out the word lists on our website before purchasing to ensure they meet your learning requirements http://www.pyxwise.com/sswordlists.html
Rather than using flash cards, Simplex Spelling enables the student to build each word. Students gain skills above and beyond the sheer memorization of words.
Simplex Spelling is great tool to have for kids learning to spell and read, remedial students, or those learning English as a second language.
Recommended for ages 5+.
Note: You can not create your own spelling lists in Simplex Spelling HD.
- All of the more than 300 Dolch Sight words to help build literacy.
- Words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context.
- Introduction seamlessly leads a student through the application’s features by providing spoken information while having the student spell new words.
- Powerful phonics hint feature sounds out each word and provides a list of possible phonograms for each sound.
- A full “reverse phonics” approach that includes sounds made by all the different letter combinations.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Unique letter by letter feedback system that provides immediate feedback.
- Guaranteed success on every word.
- Support for multiple user accounts.
- User stats screen that allows you to see words that have been mastered and words that require further practice.
- Export & email student progress reports.
- Remembers each user’s position and progress.
- Supports both upper and lower case letters.
- Supports both alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Supports both US, UK and Canadian English spelling.
- An approach that appeals to audio, visual and tactile learners.
- Placed 2nd in the 2011 Best App Ever Awards
- TheiPhoneMom Approved - 'If "tremendous" was a Dolch sight word then you would find it in Simplex Spelling HD and it would be right at home because this is a tremendous spelling app!'
- AppsforHomeschooling (earned 5/5 and a Golden App award) - "Simplex Spelling HD uses incredibly rich, educationally sound, and powerful tools to teach high frequency words."
- "Applicable2U has explored a number of spelling applications, and this is the best one yet."
- Technology in (Spl) Education - "Simplex Spelling – If you have Spelling Goals in your IEP, then this [is] the app for you."
- Kids Apps Awards (earned 5/5 and an Education Award)
- BestAppsForKids (4.5/5 editors choice) "one of the best spelling apps (maybe the best) in the app store at the moment."
- Mobile iEducator (4.5/5)
- Muslim Friendly Apps (Rated a Gold Apple)
- CrazyMikesApps (4.5/5)
- iPadAppsReviewer (4.5/5)
- The Daily App Show Featured App - “If you are looking for a great spelling app, feature packed for your iPad, Simplex Spelling HD is your app.”
- PadGadget Recommended (4/5)
- CommonSenseMedia (4/5)
- Lunchbox Reviews (5/5)
- Featured by Apple in "New & Noteworthy", "What's Hot" and "Grammar & Vocabulary"
- Editor's Pick Best10Apps
- Does not contain 3rd party ads
- Does not share any data
- Does not contain In-App purchases
- Does not link to social media
- Contains in app links to view a safe enclosed version of the developer's website for additional information, support and teaching tips.
- Contains links to "email the developer questions" and rate the app
Updated for iOS 12.
Ratings and Reviews
Simplex Spelling HD - Dolch Sight Words With Reverse Phonics is simply fantastic!
This app has over 200 high frequency Dolch words which students will be able to practice spelling through typing via an alphabetical or keyboard style letter grid. Mastery limits for each word may be set within the settings option and various students can be maintained at any given time. Consonants and vowels are differentiated via colour-coding, phonetic hints are offered, spelling words are given in sentence context, and statistical data is saved as the child progresses. There is a wonderful introduction provided within the app which offers hands on experience and I recommend using that section immediately after purchasing this app. It is fantastic and will no doubt help your child progress in their reading, spelling, and writing abilities! I told you it was fantastic!
A perfect balance
I love all the Simplex apps. While I love that the words are sorted by phonetic pattern in the other apps (great for teaching principles of how spelling works), the beauty of this one is that it teaches the phonetic basis of the sight words young readers and writers need every day. Oddly, the other thing I love about this one is actually the lack of sorting by phonetic pattern. Some children simply memorize the particular pattern they need to use for a list, but don't generalize well to their daily work since they need a variety of patterns all at once. This app forces them to think about and apply a variety of phonetic patterns all within one list. I delightedly use both types of Simplex apps in my classroom. Different kids need different approaches at different times. Simplex provides awesome tools to help meet those diverse needs.
Good start, but would benefit from some improvements
I teach 2nd grade & my younger child is a struggling reader/speller, so I was very excited to get this. My philosophy is that, for the most part, sight words cannot/should not be sounded out & kids need to learn to read them "in a snap". Spelling is different & as much practice in a variety of ways is good. That said, the app could use some adjustments. First, the pronunciation of the words is not always clear. Second, just because a word is spelled on the first try doesn't mean it is mastered. Students should spell each word correctly a few times for this.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.