Scientifically validated as a highly effective approach to improving spelling skills through our phonics approach, a published study revealed that students demonstrated an average spelling improvement of 1.9 grades among children in a classroom setting who regularly used Simplex Spelling over a 18 week period. The largest student improvement observed over the same time period was 4.4 grade levels as assessed by administering the Schonell Spelling Test.
Linda Chmiliar, "Improving the Spelling Skills of Students with Learning Disabilities using Apps on the iPad", International Journal of Technology and Inclusive Education, pp. 962-971. Special Issue Volume 3, 2016.
Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 teaches a full year of spelling curriculum with over 450 high frequency words divided into 42 lists that are organized by spelling patterns and difficulty levels. Each of the 42 lists comes with a lesson that teaches one of the basic building blocks of spelling in the English language. These basic building blocks include the different phonograms, sounds, and spelling rules.
Our spelling lists focus on some of the highest frequency words in the English language to help students establish a base foundation of literacy and confidence with spelling and reading.
Students learn a new concept for each lesson building on the skills learned from previous lessons. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 guides the student and acts as a personal spelling coach with every word, while teaching "how to spell" English words.
Memorization may be sufficient to pass a spelling test, but it often does not transfer into good long term reading and spelling skills. Our goal with Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 is to not only teach a list of words, but to teach students “how to spell” these words, thus building long term skills that can be used for over 84% of the words in the English language that follow phonetic patterns.
Many studies show that students who learn to read through phonics have a higher level of literacy than students who learn to read by using flash cards and the whole word approach. Also, that not all readers are good spellers, but almost all good spellers are also good readers. This is why Simplex Spelling's comprehensive unique phonics approach to spelling really works to create both better spellers and better readers.
Note: Now supports both North American and British accents.
Note: You can not create your own spelling lists.
- Over 450 high frequency words to help build literacy.
- A starting assessment/placement test.
- Review lists.
- 42 instructional lessons teach phonics, phonograms, and spelling rules.
- A full “reverse phonics” approach that includes sounds made by all the different letter combinations.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Letter by letter feedback system provides immediate feedback.
- Guaranteed success on every word.
- Support for 40 user accounts.
- Export and email student progress reports.
- Remembers each user’s progress in every list.
- User stats screen to see mastered words and words that require further practice.
- Supports both upper and lower case letters.
- Supports both alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Supports US, UK and Canadian English spelling of words.
- Featured previously by Apple in New & Noteworthy, What's Hot, Words for the Wise and Spelling & Grammar.
- Placed 3rd in the 2012 Best App Ever Awards - Best Elementary Student App.
- Honorable mention in the 2012 Best App Ever Awards - Best Special Needs App.
- AppsforHomeschooling (5/5, Golden App Award, 2011 Readers Choice Award)
- Academics' Choice Award
- Parents' Choice Award
- No 3rd party ads
- Does not share any data
- No In-App purchases
- No links to social media
- Contains child protected links to a kid safe version of the developer's website, email support and to rate the app.
Updated for iOS 12.
Ratings and Reviews
We stopped using our phonics-based spelling program and continued with this. My 2nd grader went from not spelling much to typing stories in pages after a few months. We plan to continue with all the levels. We love this app!
Great basic spelling program
I purchased this program with an open mind, however it has surprised me! The methods and approach is great! It's easy to use and great at referring back to the rules for sounds. I would suggest it to anyone! The level 2 one has a few features that should be carried over like making scores visible! I would like to see a report after each word list! Showing which ones were missed and all would be great! That way we could leave it to the kid to go about it, and know weather he's actually doing it correct! Overall it's amazing! It's competent worth the money and gets the kids interested! Would love to see some improvements, however it's not bad at all! 5 stars if it has a little more features for the kids, like sounding out the word with them, and if it has a report after each list!
Excellent app...just a few wishes.
This is app is based on very sound theory and works well as a supplement to my literacy curriculum. In fact, I am considering using these lists as my spelling lists for next year. I love the fact that it teaches students just as i would if i could just sit next to them all the time. However, there are a few tweaks I'd like to see. First, I'd like there to be an option for the app to force students to master one list before going on to the next. Monitoring this while teaching other small groups is challenging. Second, I'd like to see the app open to each student's current list rather than defaulting back to the intro list. Third, I'd like to see the student names be a bit larger/more obvious while in the lessons. Several times I've had a student master a spelling list...on someone else's account.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.