Simplex Spelling Phonics 2
By Pyxwise Software Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Scientifically validated as a highly effective approach to improving spelling skills. A published study revealed that students demonstrated an average spelling improvement of 1.9 grades among children in a classroom setting who regularly used Simplex Spelling over a 18 week period. The largest student improvement observed over the same time period was 4.4 grade levels as assessed by administering the Schonell Spelling Test.
Simplex Spelling is one of the best ways to improve English spelling and reading skills. Using a powerful combination of phonics lessons, spelling/word patterns, syllabication, our unique “reverse phonics” (phonics encoding) approach and contextually relevant spelling rules.
- "Simplex Spelling has a feedback method that rivals anything a teacher can do in the classroom. " - Carolina Nugent, Director of Education KinderTown.
- "No other literacy apps are this comprehensive." - Teachers With Apps
- "WOW!!!! I found my miracle app" - Speech Language Neighborhood
- Academics' Choice Award
Teaching over a year of spelling curriculum with more than 650 high frequency words divided into 54 lists that are organized by spelling patterns and difficulty levels. Each of the 54 lists comes with a lesson that teaches one of the basic building blocks of spelling in the English language. These basic building blocks include syllables, sounds, spelling rules and some of the more advanced English phonograms.
Students learn a new concept for each lesson building on the skills learned from previous lessons and those covered in Simplex Spelling Phonics 1. Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 guides the student and acts as a personal spelling coach with every word, while teaching students "how to spell" English words. Our “reverse phonics” hint feature breaks each word down into individual phonemes to improve phonemic awareness, a critical skill in achieving literacy.
One of the main areas of focus in Simplex Spelling Phonics 2 is on syllables and how they affect the way we speak, read and spell. Every word is broken down into its syllables both visually and auditorily to help students build phonological awareness skills. Many lessons teach the concepts of open and closed syllables, compound words, the rules governing vowels in syllables and syllable stresses. The stress on each syllable is subtly conveyed with every word to help students understand how the stress on a syllable affects the way words are pronounced and spelled. The schwa sound and its occurrence in English words is also taught.
Recommended age 6+
Note: You can not create your own spelling lists.
- Over 650 high frequency spelling words to help build literacy.
- Words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context and improve vocabulary.
- Introductory spelling list seamlessly leads a student through all of the application’s features.
- A starting assessment/placement test.
- Review lists to track learning progress.
- 54 instructional lessons teach syllables, phonics, phonograms, and spelling rules.
- A full “reverse phonics” approach that builds phonemic awareness.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Letter by letter feedback system provides feedback while the student is in the process of spelling each word.
- Support for 40 user accounts.
- Export and email student progress reports.
- Supports US, UK and Canadian English spelling of words.
- Does not contain 3rd party ads
- Does not share any data
- Does not contain In-App purchases
- Does not link to social media
- Contains in app links to view a safe enclosed version of the developer's website for additional information, support and teaching tips.
- Contains link to developer email support and to rate the app.
COPPA Compliant http://www.pyxwise.com/privacypolicy.html
What's New in Version 3.5.1
Updated for iOS 11.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 13, 2017
- Version: 3.5.1
- Size: 178 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Pyxwise Software Inc.
- © 2012 Pyxwise Software Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.