- Earned a spot as one of the "Best Five Phonics Apps" by Teachers With Apps.
Simplex Spelling CVC Words teaches rhyming, segmenting and blending of over 300 three letter CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) words covering all five short vowel sounds. The concepts taught are aligned with many of the US Common Core Standards for Foundational Skills in Reading for Kindergarten.
Children will learn phonics and the primary letter sounds and letter names for the alphabet while building the phonemic awareness skills that are critical for becoming a fluent speller and reader. Simplex Spelling Phonics improves English spelling and reading skills in a fun and interactive way by combining a unique “reverse phonics” approach with contextually relevant spelling rules that explain why words are spelled in a particular manner. It works like a personal spelling coach with every word.
Recommended for ages 4+.
Note: You can not create your own spelling lists in Simplex Spelling Phonics - Rhyming With CVC Words.
- Over 300 three letter CVC words covering all five short vowel sounds (e.g. cat, sat, pig, wig, log, bog, bug, rug, get, set).
- Words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context.
- Introduction seamlessly leads a student through the application’s features by providing spoken information while having the student spell new words.
- The keyboard can be customized to speak either the primary phoneme for each letter , or the letter's name as it is typed.
- Powerful phonics hint feature sounds out each word by phonemes from left to right to aid with blending and phonemic awareness skills.
- The hint feature also provides a mapping of all the possible graphemes that can represent each sound.
- Word lists are organized by onsets, rhymes and medial vowels to allow students to understand and spell new words by changing only a single sound from other words in the same list.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Unique letter by letter feedback system that provides immediate feedback.
- Guaranteed success on every word.
- Support for up to 40 user accounts.
- Export and email student progress reports.
- User stats screen that allows you to see words that have been mastered and words that require further practice.
- Remembers each user’s position and progress.
- Supports both upper and lower case letters.
- Supports both alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Supports both US, UK and Canadian English spelling.
- Does not contain 3rd party ads
- Does not share any data
- Does not contain In-App purchases
- Does not link to social media
- Contains in app links to view a safe enclosed version of the developer's website for additional information, support and teaching tips.
- Contains child protected links to "email the developer questions" and rate the app
Updated for iOS 12.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent phonics app for early literacy
Highly recommended for K and early 1st grade. Includes a customizable keyboard, upper/lower case letters and letter sounds/names, spoken sentences and a nice clear user interface. Comprehensive lists are organized by first, middle and ending sounds but there is no option to add custom lists. All short vowel sounds are correctly pronounced and can be practiced separately or together. Up to 40 user accounts with detailed progress reports.
Great for kindergarten
This app would be great for someone who has just learned to read. Unfortunately, one daughter is just below this, and the other is just above it. I would recommend this for a child in kindergarten. We like the series of Simplex spelling apps, and this one is also well done. We will return to it again when my younger daughter is able to read...it will be great practice for her!
Simplex Spelling has done it again with Rhyming With CVC words. This app is a great addition for any teacher, parent, or homeschooler. The app is easy to use for young children and a great start for young readers. Spelling list are provided in advance for you to review before the child begins each level, and the child can stay on a level for as long as they need before moving on. Great app!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.