Design, View and Share fetal heart rate and contraction charts and learn the basics of Electronic Fetal Monitoring (EFM) in a fun and intuitive way. Make learning a much richer experience by supplementing instruction with demonstration, whether
- In a classroom, by yourself or under the guidance of the instructor from their iPad,
- In a simulated learning environment, using standardized patients, or
- At home, from the comfort of your couch!
Works with iPad Air and above.
EFM is a real-time monitoring system used in obstetric settings during the labor and birth process, which displays fetal heart rates and maternal contractions (if present). Based on the chart patterns, healthcare professionals (nurses, doctors, etc.) assess the health of the fetus and identify if and when the baby is in distress and take corrective actions accordingly.
With over 28,000 fetal monitors in use today in the United States alone, there exists a substantial demand for professionals trained to read and interpret EFM. Unfortunately, didactic instruction can be listless and immutable, and hands-on-experience can only be either via live patients in hospitals or expensive medical mannikins.
Our app is a fun and inexpensive way to supplement classroom lectures or simulations using standardized patients.
Get the Student Version for $4.99.
- Learn at your pace, by generating and saving simulations on your iPad
- Participate in group simulations by receiving simulations from other devices
Get the Instructor Version (in-app purchase) for $24.99.
- Use advanced parameters to further tune the charts
- Broadcast simulations to other devices (via Bluetooth) and guide students in interpreting what they see
Feedback? We're learning, help us be better by sending your inputs to SimulatedEFM@gmail.com.
Please note that this app is NOT intended to be used as a diagnostic tool or to monitor an actual heartbeat. This app is not intended as a replacement for medical advice of any kind.
Important updates to Instructions page
- University of Tennessee Research Foundation
- 7.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © HITS/UTRF
- In-App Purchases
- Instructor Version $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.