Skip Tunes - for Spotify, iTunes, and Rdio
By Greg Dougherty
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Skip Tunes is a simple Mac OS X application which allows you to easily control iTunes, Spotify, and Rdio from your Menu Bar.
- Control iTunes, Spotify, and/or Rdio from your menu bar
- Display OS X Notifications
- Adjust Volume Controls
- Share to Facebook & Twitter
- Show or Hide Controls in your Menu Bar
- Set Keyboard Shortcuts
- Rate iTunes Tracks
- Detach window from menu bar
- Optimized for Retina Displays
Skip Tunes has been covered in Cnet, Macworld, Cult of Mac, The Next Web, Lifehacker, and others.
See more info at http://skiptunes.com.
What's New in Version 3.1.1
Note: There is still an ongoing bug in Spotify’s app which doesn’t allow Skip Tunes to access Spotify album artwork. This is a bummer for Skip Tunes… let Spotify know that you want better AppleScript support for third party apps by tweeting @SpotifyCares or visiting http://community.spotify.com.
Updates for v3.1.1:
- Adds a fix which provides OAuth2 support for Rdio
Updates for v3.1:
- Support for Yosemite’s dark menu bar :)
- Removed dropdown arrow from the window, it now sits flush with the menu bar
- New refreshed Skip Tunes icon
- New blank artwork image
- New share icon
- Numerous slight icon updates to make the app feel a bit tidier
- Fixed an issue where the menu bar would appear selected when reduce transparency was selected from System Preferences and on an external monitor
- Reduced the number of console errors Skip Tunes was sending
- Fixed an issue where Skip Tunes caused apps to automatically re-launch when quitting
- Other bug fixes
Does not work with iTunes Radio or Apple Music
Could be a great app, but it doesn’t work with iTunes 12.3 Radio or Apple Music (album artwork doesn’t display and controls on the drop down don’t work).
I’ve found a free application called silicio that can access to the album artwork on spotify, why you can't do the same?
Not Spotify compatible
This app became a bit of a mess when it came to controlling Spotify. It’s not just “no album art”… but there’s no fast-forward or reverse capabilities either. You can do everything this app does for Spotify with your keyboard media keys (except for a shuffle button). So it’s $2.99 for a shuffle button. It’s amazing how much time has gone by waiting for a fix to the issue. Other apps have figured it out and adapted but the developers continue to claim it’s a “Spotify bug”. Well, guess what, Spotify isn’t going to waste time and resources on 3rd party apps. Additional star here is because everything seems to work for iTunes. I’ll alter my review if this app gets an update.