Sky Guide AR
By Fifth Star Labs LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
A star app has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
Is it a star or the planet Mars? Knowing what's up in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you—no setup required!
Have you ever wished you could recognize the constellations but didn't want to study those paper star charts? Sky Guide's interactive experience makes learning your way around the sky intuitive and fun.
Whether you're in search of the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or the next big meteor shower, Sky Guide is jam-packed with information and rich graphics that will satisfy the most curious minds.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. See what the sky looked like the moment you were born or be an eyewitness to history's greatest comets.
It's a star! It's a plane! No, it's a satellite! Sky Guide features hundreds of bright satellites for you to identify and track. You can also receive notifications whenever the International Space Station flies over your location.
Use Sky Guide anywhere—on your evening dog walk, camping trips or in the classroom. Sky Guide works with or without Wi-Fi, cellular service or GPS, so everything is at your fingertips no matter where you go.
- Apple Watch: Sky Guide can send you a notification when an event is about to happen in the skies above your location, like when the International Space Station is due to fly over. You can also keep tabs on the latest solar activity or add our super-accurate Moon Complication to your Apple Watch face.
- 3D Touch: Peek and Pop previews of articles from Search. Quick actions from home screen app icon.
- Notification Center Widget: At-a-glance essentials including rise and set times for the Sun, Moon and planets.
- Filter: X-ray the sky and explore invisible wonders (now enhanced with 3D Touch).
- Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
- Huge stellar catalog: 2.5 million stars!
- Sky Guide SUPERMASSIVE. This extensive add-on gives you access to incredible high definition zooming, 50× larger star and deep sky catalogs, and exclusive cinematic tours. SUPERMASSIVE includes a free two-week trial followed by an auto-renewing annual subscription. (See In-App Purchases section for the price available in your country. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your account settings after purchase.)
Join the millions who have discovered a more personal connection to the stars with Sky Guide. It might forever change the way you look up.
What's New in Version 6.5
With iOS 11, Sky Guide 6.5 adds an exciting new feature: augmented reality! You’ve been so patient and Sky Guide AR is here, at last!
+ iOS 11
+ iPhone 6s and later or iPad Pro and later (includes 2017 iPad)
Finding stars, constellations and planets is easier than ever thanks to augmented reality. To activate it, first tap the center compass button to turn motion on. You will then see a new camera button appear which toggles AR mode.
Some tips for getting the best results from AR mode:
Augmented reality mode works great under a blue, daytime sky, but it has also been designed to function under a twilight and even nighttime sky. When your surroundings are very dark, you may notice some ghost-like trails behind moving objects. This is normal behavior due to the longer camera exposures needed.
Sky Guide automatically tries to adjust the blending of the augmented reality constellations with your real sky but if the constellations are not appearing quite right (if they appear noisy or patchy), you can use a two-finger up/down gesture to fine-tune the blending point.
Sometimes real objects and their corresponding augmented objects are not perfectly aligned. We first recommend giving the compass a few moments to settle in. If things are still not lined up, use a touch and hold gesture to activate the Compass Correction option. Then drag left or right to offset the augmented object until it is aligned with the real object. Sky Guide will retain this offset preference for your current session.
Also in this release, for those with a new iPad Pro: Sky Guide now supports 120 frames per second (requires iOS 11).
AR = MIND. BLOWN.
I’ll state right away that I own pretty much every astronomy app that’s worth owning. I’m not an expert by any means, just an avid fan who’s always interested in learning more about space.
I’ve never left a review for any of the apps in this category before but, after spending just 5 minutes exploring my evening sky in augmented reality, I felt compelled to congratulate the developer for nailing it right out of the gate. The controls are intuitive and the tips show on screen at the perfect time. That’s how I found the sky blending feature and that’s when the real magic happens!
Before AR it always seemed like the star or planet in the sky that I was trying to identify with the app was close to what I was seeing on my device but it often felt like I was just guessing that I had my phone or iPad pointed at the right spot of light in the sky. However, with AR and the sky blending feature I “know” that I’m identifying the exact point of light in the sky that interests me.
If you’re on the fence about purchasing this app stop wasting your time. Tap buy and get outside!!!✨💫✨
Awesome & my kids love it!
We were able to track the ISS going overhead one evening and it helped us find it as it moved over Fast!
Great for identifying morning stars and occasionally a satellite.
How can something be Educational and Magical?
Makes Astronomy fun for adults and kids.
Very informative and Watch notifications make sure you won't miss a thing!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 19, 2017
- Version: 6.5
- Size: 177 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Fifth Star Labs LLC
- © 2013 Fifth Star Labs LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases