Sky Guide: View Stars Night or Day
By Fifth Star Labs LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** 2014 Apple Design Award Winner ***
A star app has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
"Close to perfect."
"The perfect companion for helping you find the stars..."
“Beautiful and informative...a treasure.”
Is it a star or Saturn? Learning what’s in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you—no setup required!
Whether you’re looking for the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or Mars, Sky Guide will satisfy your curiosity. You can search for thousands of celestial sights and be guided exactly where to see them in the sky above you. Just follow the arrow.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. Or, witness the approach of magnificent comets and see their tails evolve as they fly around the Sun.
Want to watch a satellite pass overhead? Sky Guide features hundreds of visible satellites for you to identify and track. You can also schedule reminders or get notifications of when the International Space Station is due to fly over — even on your Apple Watch!
Sky Guide contains immersive visuals unlike any star app you have seen before. With exclusive imagery adapted from high-resolution photographs, you’ll see millions of stars and feel as though you're spacewalking! Or, if you're feeling more earthbound, gesture down the intensity of star light to match an urban view.
Sky Guide may have few buttons but it has ample content. With richly illustrated and cross-linked articles—many by leading astronomical authors—countless enlightened moments await novice and seasoned stargazers alike.
Plus, Sky Guide functions with or without a Wi-Fi, data, or GPS signal. Take it camping or use it overseas. Everything is at your fingertips at all times, in all places.
• Apple Watch support: See a calendar of upcoming astronomical events — the full moon, meteor showers, eclipses, and more. Sky Guide can send you a notification when an event is about to happen in the skies above your location. And it will even alert you when the International Space Station is due to fly over.
• 3D Touch: See quick previews of any article while browsing the search menu with Peek and Pop. Get quick access to your Favorites, Search, or Satellites from the home screen by pressing on the Sky Guide icon. (3D Touch requires iPhone 6s)
• Notification Center Widget: At-a-glance essentials including rise and set times for the Sun, Moon and planets (requires iOS 8).
• Time-lapse Effects: See star trails when you move through time quickly (supported on devices with A7 processor and higher).
• Filter: X-ray the sky and explore invisible wonders.
• Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
Please note: Sky Guide requires a gyroscope, so it doesn't work with iPad 1 or iPhone 3GS and earlier.
What's New in Version 5.1
• Sky Guide is now optimized for the new iPad Pro.
• Added a new live Sun Glance for Apple Watch. During daytime hours the Sky Guide Glance will show a live image of solar activity (animated to the most recent 3 days). Tap for a detailed chart of activity which also indicates possible aurorae.
• Fixed bug where Moon Glance was not loading on Apple Watch
• Fixed bug where recently failed Iridium satellites were still being treated as active
• Fixed bug where the position of Jupiter's moons did not account for light travel delay
• Added dwarf planets Eris, Haumea, and Makemake
To Infinity and Beyond
Fifth Star Labs has really put together a very nice app for star gazing. Sky Guide even allows you to use night vision so that your eyes can make adjustments in accordance to the way you perceive the night sky. A well deserved "Best App 2014" from whomever determines these things.
I haven't really had a lot of time to play with this application, but speeding up time (x1,000) is pretty sweet when you get a chance to see which shooting stars will be passing above you over the next few hours. This app even lets you go back in time to the day or night that you were born, analyze the sky above, decipher the difference between both worlds apart, and that thought alone is well worth its modest price determined by developers. It really is tough to describe the feelings induced when you glance into your own past using this tool of information.
I would recommend this application to anybody who shows interest in astrology, or may be curious about what is just passed personal line of sight, and conceptually within grasp of his or her imagination. I look forward to spending more time with this app over up coming months, or possibly even years...
Okay so here's a semi quick backstory no one asked for.
So astronomy has had a major part of my childhood. My father and my sister loved talking about it, read books on stars and constellations and watched meteor showers on our back porch. And while I was present for all that, I couldn't really experience it because unfortunately I'm purblind, with severe astigmatism and a ton of other eye defects I haven't memorized, basically meaning I can't see the stars in the sky. I didn't find out about it until I was 10, and by then I'd lost years of stargazing. And even now, I don't wear contacts at night, and glasses always seem to be too scratched or smudged to see anything small.
But then I downloaded this app. And I'm only a little embarrassed to tell you that when I saw Libra, Virgo, and the Moon above me, I started crying a little. All the things I've missed growing up were all layer out for me. I could see meteor showers from years ago, or see the sky at the minute of my birth. It made me so happy
So on short: thank you for letting me see the sky
The BEST APP IN APP STORE SINCE I BOUGHT MY 1st IPad in 2011!
This app is soo amazing. I've never really had a lot of interest in star gazing. Sure I'd look up and see the Big Dipper or O'Reillys belt ect!! But this is something so amazing my whole family (we share an Apple Music account so they got the app free because I bought it). I get notified when something cool is about to happen in space like "the international space station will peak in 5 mins" and yes u can actually see the space station as it passes if u press any of the billions of stars or rockets u see the app will give you a u an entire report on that star or satellite ect. Just amazing!! Thank you to the designers! My son took a girl out on a date the other night and I told him to go to a quiet secluded place where they could see the sky and show her all of the amazing stuff there is to see up there. Things went very well!! Great conversation starter!! My husband and I (you can still see up there when you are inside your house as well) spent hours the first night we had it just checking things out!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 17, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 104 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Fifth Star Labs LLC
- © 2013 Fifth Star Labs LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.