Sky Guide: View Stars Night or Day
By Fifth Star Labs LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
A star and constellation guide has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find stars, constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
*****App Store Best of 2013*****
"If you want to learn more about the stars, planets, and satellites spinning around us at all times of the day, Sky Guide is the best app to do it with."
“An experience like no other on iOS...10/10."
“Until now, the best [astronomy apps] have emphasized utility over beauty. That all changes with Sky Guide.”
Is it a star or Saturn? Learning what’s in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you–no setup required!
Whether you’re looking for the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or Mars, Sky Guide will satisfy your curiosity. You can search for thousands of celestial sights—and be guided exactly where to see them in the sky above you. Just follow the arrow.
Want to watch a satellite pass overhead? Sky Guide features hundreds of visible satellites for you to track. See them rise and chart their paths as they fly through space. We also offer an add-on pack that provides satellite identification, detailed historical information and future flyover times.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. Or, witness the approach of magnificent comets and see their tails evolve as they fly around the Sun.
Sky Guide contains immersive visuals unlike any star app you have seen before. With exclusive, high-resolution photographs captured by one of the app developers, you’ll witness millions of stars—not just a few thousand simulated points! Plus, you can control the intensity of star light with HDR brightness gestures to dial in your local viewing conditions.
Sky Guide may have few buttons but it has ample content. With richly illustrated and cross-linked articles—many by leading astronomical authors—countless enlightened moments await novice and seasoned stargazers alike.
Plus, Sky Guide functions with or without a Wi-Fi, data, or GPS signal. Take it camping or use it overseas. Everything is at your fingertips at all times, in all places.
• Elegant and simple: Unobtrusive controls and gestures free up the screen for the best sky view yet.
• Rich content: Generous amounts of stunning graphics and original artwork.
• Soundscape: Designed by Mat Jarvis, the most featured composer in the award-winning soundtrack for the game Osmos. Stars have sounds based on their temperature and size.
• Useful anywhere: Works with or without a GPS or data signal. Built-in access to hundreds of articles no matter where you are.
• Time controls: Know where objects will appear in the future with cinematic time-lapse effects.
• HDR brightness gestures: Dynamically control how bright the sky is to match how many stars you can see under light-polluted skies.
• Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
Please note: Sky Guide requires a gyroscope, so it doesn't work with iPad 1 or iPhone 3GS and earlier.
What's New in Version 3.0
• Time-lapse has arrived! Swipe UP from the bottom edge to reveal new time controls. See satellites streak through the sky at 1,000X real-time. Turn it up to 30,000X to see beautiful, spinning star trails.* Go even faster to switch into day-stepping mode and you'll see the motions of the planets as they dance around the Sun. Use the date & time picker to witness past or future events.
• 64 bit support. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPad Air, and iPad Mini with Retina display.
• Realistic comets. We not only gave Comet ISON some company with the likes of Comet Hale-Bopp, Halley and more, but also accurately stylized them with beautifully dynamic coma and tails. Pro tip: use the new time controls to see comets evolve as they approach the Sun, or witness magnificent comets of the past!
• More deep sky goodies. We've DOUBLED the number of photographic articles for galaxies, nebulae and star clusters. Those who keep exploring will be rewarded.
• Improved Search: we made it easier to find things you might be looking for.
• Satellites: flyovers at night that are obscured by Earth's shadow are no longer listed in the article view.
• Added a location for the North Pole (listed under Geographic Points). The sky looks different here, especially in time-lapse mode!
• Various UI improvements
* Star trails are supported on devices running OpenGL ES 3.0 (iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Mini w/ Retina display)
Absolutely Fantastic Application
Hands down the finest Astronomical App available for the iPad or iPhone. The attention to detail, presentation, and graphics is incredible. Information is available, with a tap, for virtually every star and Constellation from any point on earth. A great educational product.
For sky/star/Milky Way photo enthusiasts it is an indispensable aid in directional planning and composition. The latest version includes the ability to select any time or date to see what will be in view or to use time/date advance for ANY location at user selected variable speed of advance. Sort of a "know before you go" option.
Complete with Night Mode the App prevents the loss of night vision and and has a number of other selections that add both imagery and educational content.
For those with GPS the program auto locates your position and heading and changes direction/elevation as you move your device. Of course you can also have a "static" display and "swipe" the direction/elevation of your view... anywhere in the world ... by selecting your location from an unbelievably complete Menu.
Complete with a great background sound.
One can only imagine the number of hours and dedication it took to create this App. I, for one, would have been perfectly happy to have paid far, far more for this program than is being asked.
Don't even think about it... Just get it!
More than I expected
An app with such a simple concept was one I wasn't so sure about spending 1.99 on, despite the appeal of being able to stargaze from my phone.
As a person who was on the Science Olympiad team in high school and participated mostly in astronomy events, I've always been fascinated in the realms beyond our planet.
Sky Guide is an impressive app well worth the 1.99 for just the easily accessible information on stars and other heavenly bodies. Extremely simple to use, as well as astonishingly detailed both in appearance and content, this app can have you exploring the universe for well over an hour without realizing it.
Learning more about objects that you're already familiar with, and discovering new ones entirely is incredibly easy, and the app features multiple features such as both compass and manually controlled viewing, zoom, time lapsing, and a search feature.
There is a reason this app has such a high overall rating, that much I can say.
Just get it. You won't regret it.
BTW, a search through the 942 reviews before me showed me that many of them rated one star just because the app bothered them to rate it. I can hardly believe people are so high on themselves. Just say no. That said, just be sure you have no magnets nearby. See a previous post for details on that. You'd be surprised where you may have one. That said, I clearly saw the Big and Little Dipper in their correct orientations and Polaris, no issues at all. Showed it to a friend of mine on a pretty clear night and he was amazed. We looked at all the major constellations in the Michigan night sky in January...right where they should be...even the Andromeda Galaxy. If over 2,000 people have given this app a 5 star rating, and you get it and are not delighted, the first thing you should be thinking is, "Gee, maybe I am doing something wrong." Look for that magnet. Don't lean on your car to use it. Magnets are in that engine compartment. Enjoy!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 19, 2013
- Version: 3.0
- Size: 83.6 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Fifth Star Labs LLC
- © 2013 Fifth Star Labs LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases