Sky Guide: View Stars Night or Day
By Fifth Star Labs LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** 2014 Apple Design Award Winner ***
A star app has never been more beautiful and easy to use. Just hold it to the sky to automatically find constellations, planets, satellites and more. It’s stargazing fun for all ages and experience levels!
"Close to perfect."
"The perfect companion for helping you find the stars..."
“Beautiful and informative...a treasure.”
Is it a star or Saturn? Learning what’s in your night sky is now effortless with Sky Guide. Hold your iPhone or iPad up and Sky Guide automatically aligns itself to the stars above you—no setup required!
Whether you’re looking for the constellation Virgo, the Andromeda Galaxy or Mars, Sky Guide will satisfy your curiosity. You can search for thousands of celestial sights and be guided exactly where to see them in the sky above you. Just follow the arrow.
Voyage to the past or future with cinematic time controls. Know where the Moon will be later in the evening so you can capture that perfect photo. Or, witness the approach of magnificent comets and see their tails evolve as they fly around the Sun.
Want to watch a satellite pass overhead? Sky Guide features hundreds of visible satellites for you to identify and track. You can also schedule reminders or get notifications of when the International Space Station is due to fly over — even on your Apple Watch!
Sky Guide contains immersive visuals unlike any star app you have seen before. With exclusive imagery adapted from high-resolution photographs, you’ll see millions of stars and feel as though you're spacewalking! Or, if you're feeling more earthbound, gesture down the intensity of star light to match an urban view.
Sky Guide may have few buttons but it has ample content. With richly illustrated and cross-linked articles—many by leading astronomical authors—countless enlightened moments await novice and seasoned stargazers alike.
Plus, Sky Guide functions with or without a Wi-Fi, data, or GPS signal. Take it camping or use it overseas. Everything is at your fingertips at all times, in all places.
• Apple Watch support: See a calendar of upcoming astronomical events — the full moon, meteor showers, eclipses, and more. Sky Guide can send you a notification when an event is about to happen in the skies above your location. And it will even alert you when the International Space Station is due to fly over.
• 3D Touch: See quick previews of any article while browsing the search menu with Peek and Pop. Get quick access to your Favorites, Search, or Satellites from the home screen by pressing on the Sky Guide icon. (3D Touch requires iPhone 6s)
• Notification Center Widget: At-a-glance essentials including rise and set times for the Sun, Moon and planets (requires iOS 8).
• Time-lapse Effects: See star trails when you move through time quickly (supported on devices with A7 processor and higher).
• Filter: X-ray the sky and explore invisible wonders.
• Red night mode: Preserve your dark-adapted eyesight.
Please note: Sky Guide requires a gyroscope, so it doesn't work with iPad 1 or iPhone 3GS and earlier.
What's New in Version 5.1
• Sky Guide is now optimized for the new iPad Pro.
• Added a new live Sun Glance for Apple Watch. During daytime hours the Sky Guide Glance will show a live image of solar activity (animated to the most recent 3 days). Tap for a detailed chart of activity which also indicates possible aurorae.
• Fixed bug where Moon Glance was not loading on Apple Watch
• Fixed bug where recently failed Iridium satellites were still being treated as active
• Fixed bug where the position of Jupiter's moons did not account for light travel delay
• Added dwarf planets Eris, Haumea, and Makemake
JUST GET IT
If your already reading this review then you've already shown interest. Pro's , amatures and anyone who's ever stared up into the night sky will love this app. Besides stars, moon which you can see very close up with zoom it all has all the other astronomical features you could ask for. Where's the sun at night? Point your phone down at the ground and look around and you'll find the sun underneath you on the other side of the earth. Plus it gives you notifications like the one I got yesterday that told me about a visible meteor shower at 7:15pm at my location. Of course I forgot! And last. Satellites and the space station are all traceable with with app
I don't write many reviews but this app earned it. I got a notification that a satellite was passing over and was about to flare so I tried it out and it was perfectly accurate and the flare was as bright as a comet. The tracking of objects is perfect and the notifications and info are extremely helpful. If you would like to catch all that there is to offer in the skies then this is the app you're looking for.
For the admins
I just want to take the time rather than from writing a review for the consumer but to write to the programmers and all the people behind this app. BRAVO! This app is amazing! Extremely well done! As some one who's always looked up at the stars and wondered, you have provided answers to all my questions and even more! And for that i thank you from the bottom of my heart! Truly
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 17, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 104 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Fifth Star Labs LLC
- © 2013 Fifth Star Labs LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.