Sky Live - Stargazing Forecast
By Vito Technology Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***From the developers of the world famous Star Walk stargazing guide, Apple Design Award winner***
"For stargazers, Sky Live is exactly the app we've always needed to find out just how much of the stars we can see at night and when we'll be able to see our favourite constellations and planets." by Nathan Snelgrove, AppStorm.net.
Stunning space photos combined with everything you need to know about stargazing conditions for your location tonight. Stargazer or not - this app will spark your curiosity.
The most accurate hourly conditions for stargazing are estimated on seven criteria and summarized in one Stargazing Index that will give you all the information you need to make your plans. The formula was developed by a mathematician on the Star Walk team and takes into account:
- Is there anything interesting in the sky tonight?
- Can I see Saturn?
- Is it going to be cloudy?
- Is it going to rain?
- Too much light?
- Is the Moon too bright for stargazing?
You will also get detailed reports on position and trajectory of the International Space Station, the Sun, the Moon, Jupiter and other planets. The forecast is available for seven days ahead.
If you would like your photos to be featured in the app, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Version 1.0.4
This update brings full iOS8 support, widget and bug fixes.
Sky Live takes advantage of the newest iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ and works perfectly on iOS8:
- Optimized for 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch Retina HD displays.
- Utilized new advanced Retina HD display technologies including higher contrast for deeper blacks, which will account for even more beautiful image of the night sky.
- Uses the new M8 motion coprocessor that gathers motion data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, compass and the new barometer, which senses air pressure to provide relative elevation to detect even the slightest changes in the position of your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6+.
- All new Sky Live Widget in Today view of the Notification Center, providing quick updates on time of sunset and current moon phase.
A fine app for a quick answer to "what can I see tonight?"
This app doesn't do a whole lot, but it works fine, has good info, and presentation is excellent. It's clearly not intended for telescope use, just casual, naked-eye viewing (no DSOs, and not even all the planets). What you see in the screen shots is pretty much all there is to it: you get weather, rise and set times for sun, moon, and the naked-eye visible planets, and which constellation each one is in.
All the info is in one, long, vertically scrolling screen. If you swipe horizontally, you get forecasts for the next day, the next, etc for 6 days. Yes, there's an in-app purchase to add the other planets and ISS, but it's FREE (so I don't know what people are complaining about). I can only assume the developers did it this way because either 1) it used to not be free, or 2) maybe it won't be free in the future?
The app also integrates with Star Walk, made by the same dev.
Ok but is missing some features :(
Over all is a good app for stargazing but is lacking in some areas. First of all the manual doesn't work. Every time I press it it does nothing. Second of all when you have a notification on the lock screen and swipe to open the app shuts down after a few seconds.
I wish they would fix these problems soon and if they would I would rate them five stars! But until then I give them a three. :(
Good app so far, but could use some slight improvements.
All I think is missing is the ability to use metric units, and to sort cities by country. (That way, for smaller countries where Location Services aren't really good, we could choose which city we are closest to ourselves without going through a massive list)
Just my 0.02$
- Category: Education
- Updated: Sep 24, 2014
- Version: 1.0.4
- Size: 24.0 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Vito Technology Inc.
- © Vito Technology, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Full AccessFree