Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sky Master is a full-featured planetarium application that offers an incredible rendering of the sky based on your location on Earth. Complete 360 degree view of the sky with zoom and pan capabilities, time manipulation features and detailed information on planets, stars, constellations and galaxies. Sky Master also includes a solar system simulator to view planet's positions relative to each other at any point in the past or future.
If you've ever gazed up and the sky and wondered what's out there then this app is for you. Ideal novices and pros, Sky Master sports an easy to use all touch interface that is intuitive and makes exploring the sky more fun and educational than ever before.
- View the entire night and day sky as viewed from anywhere on Earth with detailed information about planets, stars, constellations and galaxies.
- Use the time feature to fast-forward or rewind time to see what the sky would look like at any date and time. Watch animations of the stars and planets in motion with time exaggerated time feature which allows you to speed up movements millions of times for practical viewing. Lock-on to an object by tapping it and follow it through time.
- Uses GPS to determine your location or you can enter other co-ordinates manually.
- Use the solar system simulator to view planet's positions relative to each other at any point in the past or future.
- Pan 360 degrees and zoom in on an area of interest as viewed from any point on earth. Sky Master also allows you to pan below the horizon to see objects out of your line of sight.
- Search for celestial objects by name
- Setting panel gives you the ability to adjustable star luminosity, add/remove labels for planets and constellations, activate the star target feature (requires you to be fully zoomed in) which gives the azimuth and angular altitude of any point in the sky and allows you to activate observer mode which tints the entire screen in a shade of red as to preserve your night vision for real-time star viewing (without this mode your eyes would have to constantly adjust from the bright iPhone screen to the dark night sky)
- Includes additional imagery and information on well over 100 popular astronomy targets including clusters, galaxies and other celestial formations. Just touch the marked points in the sky and press the info button for more details on the object.
At only $2.99, Sky Master offers incredible value and puts millennia worth of collective data about the heavens at your fingertips.
What's New in Version 2.7
Some bug fixes relating to reports of crashing from some users, mainly reported among unlocked / "jailbroken" iPhone users.
Not Yet -- Still Crashes Incessantly
The latest upgrade does not stop the incessant crashing. With every review saying this app crashes within moments of launch, it's hard to believe the official reports that there are "some crashes... mostly related... to jailbroken iPhones." More likely, it crashes on every device, as it does on my iPod with the approved OS and no hacks.
Regrettably, this app really *does* crash too frequently to be properly reviewable. Many basic features do not work. Trying to set a manual location 99% guarantees a crash, and when it does work, the app does not recall the setting between launches. If you can't pan, zoom, run the clock, or spin the orrery, the app becomes useless.
To be wholly fair, from what smattering of the interface I've seen, this app has excellent potential. It may be the work of an inexperienced coder with an admirable conception of what this app should be, but little sense that what runs on the simulator will necessarily run on actual hardware. He may also be running on a 3GS and incorrectly presuming it would be stabile also on an iPod 2nd Gen. If he understood the iPod, he'd make certain it could recall manual locations between launches.
I buy all the astronomy apps, having made a hobby of testing and reviewing them, reporting bugs, and recommending features. If you just want an app to use, no need to download this one yet. Let's hope for a more effective under-the-hood update.
I have not had a single problem with this app. It has a great simulator. Perfect for helping my kids learn more about astronomy. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about space in general.
Many great features, great graphics. A great value for less than $3.
Get a different one
This app is okay for the $1 it costs. But it doesnt save your settings you have to redo anything everytime you want to use it. It also closes after a few minutes all by itself usually when you are trying to look at something specific.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: May 26, 2010
- Version: 2.7
- Size: 20.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Michael Latour
- © 2010 iCoder
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.