By SkyCharts LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Still works on all iPad models! (including iPad1)
Fastest in flight usage of all iPad EFB's- simply double tap on ANY airports to bring up A/FD and approach plates for that airport. Charts have track up and a detailed flight info strip is provided.
SkyCharts does not *yet* support:
* Charts outside of USA.
* TFR and radar.
For answers to many common questions please view the FAQ: http://www.skycharts.net/faq.html
For more information, please see the webpage at
Moving map with current IFR/VFR/TAC/FLY/HIFR/HELI/GCW/GOM/WAL aviation charts. DOUBLE TAP on map to view A/FD and approach plate. Map has VFR/IFR/LIFR color-coded METARs, with orange TAFs.
SUA airspace information is also available.
No service? No problem! Download charts and plates for offline usage.
Flight plan and navigate using the ICAO airport/navaid database, or manually enter lat/longitude way points.
* Fast zoom/scroll of included charts using standard gestures.
* Fast download of charts for offline usage. Charts are selected on a region basis, 7 for CONUS and 2 for Alaska. The ENTIRE CONUS only take about 1hr to download! Downloading all takes about 5GB of disk.
* Flight planning with fuel and distance. Example: KUAO RAWER UBG MCCOY KSLE
* Automatic waypoint sequencing
* Navigation computes GS, TRK, DTK, DIS & ETE to current waypoint.
* METAR/TAF color coded dots according to ADDS: http://www.skycharts.net/?page_id=421
* Double tap on airport to select A/FD and TPPs/IAPs to view.
* Call ASOS/AWOS/ATIS once an airport has been selected.
* Huge built-in navigation database, with all 20,000 airports, 45,000 FAA IFR/VFR naviation fixes and 2,100 FAA VOR/ADF fixes.
* XPlane flight simulator tracker. Follow the directions here: http://www.skycharts.net/?page_id=228
* Location tracker. Enable the 'BreadCrumbs' setting in the system settings and your friends can check your current location. More details here http://www.skycharts.net/?page_id=365
* See current chart cycle and expiration date.
* Map in portrait or landscape mode
* Toggle track up or north up. If you always use north up please set change the preference for SkyCharts for even faster viewing.
* Airplane shows direction of flight when north up is selected.
* Settings: http://scripts.skycharts.net/help3.2/settings.html
VERY, VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ!!!
**BEFORE** trying to use SkyCharts offline, please download the region you will be using by pressing the 'i' button. This will download and save (cache) the charts and approach plates.
For fast response to all questions, comments or suggestions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
I personally respond to *all* queries usually within the same day. Thank you!
What's New in Version 3.8
*VFR Helicopter charts
*VFR Gulf Coast WAC
*VFR Wall chart
*IFR Gulf of Mexico
*Built in 1412 database
This is a decent app, simple and easy to use. I actually prefer it to ForeFlight because it has nicer looking interface that's not so goobered up with tools. But the downloaded maps aren't high res, when you zoom in close they are blurry, which is disappointing for such large downloads. I understand if they were sharper it would take more data, honestly I'd like to have the option for larger sharper maps.
Also the app is rather choppy and scrappy looking, just saying. And it doesn't have an opinion to use automatic compass orientation. Perhaps this is a failsafe against faulty hardware leading a pilot in the wrong direction but if that were the case why do they have rotate button et al?
Use on multiple devices
I’ve had this app for a couple of years. I use it a lot in my job. I received an EMAIL several months ago about having to subscribe to receive the updated charts. I didn’t like it but I guess i can live with it. My problem is that in order to use the same subscription on multiple devices you have to enable “Breadcrumbs” which then sends your location to their servers. If I read this correctly even the APP is not running in the background it sends your location to their servers. No thanks you. They don’t need to know where I am.
Simple and Effectie
This is more than what I wanted for a very good price.
- the moving map with the track up/north up options
- Termianl Area charts
- METAR and TAF
- Airport/Facilities Directory
and many other things.
I especially like the ability to interface skychartspro with the newly released x-plane version 10. This is very useful as I can learn and get accustomed to using the application while in a "simulated" flight, rather than having to learn the application while learning to fly in the actual aircraft. Excellent.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Nov 19, 2014
- Version: 3.8
- Size: 49.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: SkyCharts LLC
- © 2008-2014 Heikki Julkunen
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Charts and plates$3.99