Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.10.1
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- Fixed a sign in issue that some people were experiencing.
- Manage multiple Skype calls.
- General performance and reliability improvements.
Wow, the new update is spectacularly, unbelievably terrible
I opened Skype for the first time in a while to get on an important business conference call while traveling. Had to wade through a bunch of stupidly cheery messages about “fun” themes and features. The interface is now full of icons that don’t make any sense and disastrously cluttered with the aforementioned useless “fun” features. Awful, awful UI! It took me five minutes just to figure out where I could type to look up and call a new Skype contact. Once in the call, it became clear that the app has removed the number pad — it’s now impossible to enter an extension. Another ten minutes of frantically swiping around trying to get a menu up that could help me, and even googling “how to dial an extension on new Skype iOS app” — nothing. It’s so stupidly easy to share photos while on a call (who needs to do that?) that it would be easy to do it by mistake, but dial the extension to get into my call? Nope. I don’t have a single Skype call that doesn’t require this functionality, so it looks like its time to delete this awful app — I’ll leave it to the 12-year-olds it was clearly designed for — and start looking for another service that allows me to make the international calls I need to make from my cell phone. What a shame.
New design is poor
update2: was forced to update after an iOS reinstall to fix wifi issues. The new skype shows 3 options from the home views, 2 of which are useless to me: "highlights" and "capture". The one-click button to check what contacts are available is gone. Same for quick dial. These simple issues make the new app UI less functional than it was before. Therefore I have switched to other apps to communicate with most people except elderly relatives. I can recommend Signal as a good alternative. Thanks to the reviewers for ensuring that this version at least won't force me to share all my phone contacts. I don't want to promote the use of this app. Microsoft devs, be sensible and revert to the original version of skype.
update1: still on old version. Thank you reviewers, it is very helpful to know which essential features are missing or broken in the latest release. It is also good to know there are pretty decent alternatives.
skipped past 3 updates... thanks to all the reviewers. Happy with old skype. If only we could swipe aside an update alert to avoid updating an app accidentally!?
It was a good update, it took me a while to get used to it after so much time I’d use the previous one, and that one being on my personal computer, but I like it, it is very user friendly, not for what I use it for but it looks cute and I like it. Whereas for the user review of the „gentleman“ who mocked the application because of his „business calls“, Skype business is available for that, looking exactly like it used to, dial pad included, he should have looked for that before complaining and probably deleting the app. Nice looking changes to the UI, and though I liked the older functionalities, I get where they are coming from to make it useful for friends and family sharing. Guten Abend.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Nov 15, 2017
- Version: 8.10.1
- Size: 108 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99