Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
What's New in Version 8.1
Welcome to the all new Skype.
It's the Skype that you know and love but enhanced with new features to help you connect with the people you care about.
Some of the new features are:
- In-Call Reactions: You can now add live emoticons, live text and even real-time photos to your video and voice calls.
- Message Reactions: Let your contacts know how you feel by adding expressive reactions to their messages.
- Capture: Sharing photos and videos of precious moments are just a swipe away.
- Highlights: Share your day-to-day with friends and family while keeping up with what they are up to using highlights. You can easily respond to others' highlights by reacting with emoticons or even use them as a conversation-starter.
I have never felt the need to write a review of an app before now, but this update to Skype is unbelievable. It appears that the app is desperately trying to emulate other social media apps like Snapchat, which clutters and confuses the UI. As a result, call functionality has, to all appearances, been tossed to the bottom of the priority list. Sure, I can still make calls and do everything I used to be able to, but it takes a few extra clicks or swipes and isn't nearly as simple and accessible as before -- and for that to happen to the functions that defined and distinguishes Skype from the myriad other social media apps out there is completely baffling.
As an example, one of my biggest gripes so far: previously, one of the home screens displayed contacts with a colored icon indicating their online status. Now, that contacts list is replaced by a "capture" screen that's essentially Snapchat, and the contacts list is no longer easily accessible. Even worse, the convenient status icons from before are gone as well.
If I wanted to send a snap, I would have used the actual app -- I don't need this monstrously bastardized POS hybrid.
Skype, I've lost hope in you.
I've been a loyal user of Skype ever since 2010 on PC and IOSz I've pushed through all its negatives and waited it out. Back in May 2017 I switched from Skype to TeamSpeak after always hating TeamSpeak over Skype. I stopped using it because I have severe OCD and they forced users to stop using the old Windows 7 styled Skype. Most of my friends stopped also then using Skype and started using Discord. I use Skype to video chat and communicate with my long distance boyfriend of 2 years, and I can no longer say I am doing this. I had no idea this was such a big update that changed the entire look of Skype and turned it into a rip-off of Istagram and SnapChat, but to my surprise it was. Many users are outraged, but Skype will not revert their update, they never do, they don't care that thousands of their users are unhappy, they just want to made ad revenue off of you and exploit your trust that they care about your feedback. Most companies care about feedback desperately, but Microsoft's head is shoved so far up their own butts they don't even care.
You're better off moving to TeamSpeak or Discord.
Good job, ruining Skype YET AGAIN right after E3.
This new update is utterly disgusting
Up until now, i really had no problems with Skype, it was what you needed it to be. After this update they turned it from a useful messaging and calling app, with easy to use features, to a horrible attempt on adding useless features to make the app seem more like Snapchat or other social media apps. The app is also a pain to try to figure out how to use, and im not even gonna bother trying to figure out the useless features they've added.
Apart from the app looking horrible and it being hard to use and just all out horrible, it also doesn't even work. Whenever I exit skype, when i try launching the app again, it will just immediately crash and the only way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall, but then it happens again! I really hope they realized they had a horrible idea and change it back to an actual messaging app and fix all the bugs they've made. Until they fix this update I definitely don't recommend getting this app, because if this had been my first time using Skype id leave it immediately because of how poorly they executed everything.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jun 26, 2017
- Version: 8.1
- Size: 58.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch (6th generation).
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99