Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Say “hello” to the new Skype for iPhone.
Remastered to put your conversations with the people who matter most at your fingertips.
Stay in touch with free messaging, voice or video calls on Skype.
• Find all your friends and family in an instant - With over 300 million people using Skype, you’re bound to bump into someone you know.
• Talk with your fingers - No matter where you are, your friends are always available with free messaging.
• Call your world from Skype - Free voice and video calls let you talk to your heart’s content with all your friends and family on Skype.
• Low cost calls to mobiles and landlines too - Keep in touch, even if they’re not on Skype, with low cost calls to mobiles and landlines on the other side of town or the world.
• Share your favorite snaps - Take a great photo you want to share? Send it over Skype to friends and family and you won’t have to worry about email size limits or expensive MMS charges.
• Video messaging – Record life’s everyday moments and share them with the people who matter most, with free and unlimited video messaging over Skype.
• Chat with anyone, anywhere - Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, Macs, PCs, and even TVs. Whatever your friends or family use, Skype is there. Simple.
Learn more about the new Skype for iPhone at:
Search the App Store for other great apps from Skype:
• Skype Qik
• Skype for iPad
• Skype WiFi
• iOS 7.0 or above (If you are using iOS6 or earlier, you can download the last compatible version by tapping install/update and following the prompt to download.)
What's New in Version 5.12.2
Now with support for your Apple Watch:
· Reply to messages on your Apple Watch using voice to text, emoticons or quick prepared responses.
· Start chats with your favourite contacts on your Apple Watch so you can do more on the go
· General Improvements
Useful but drains battery
I have cellular data turned off for my phone but I still get skype notifications when I am not connected to wifi. I've had to delete the app and reinstall it when I need to use it because my battery drains too fast when I have the app. And for someone who keeps my phone on the lowest brightness and keeps apps closed as frequently as possible and uses airplane mode when I do not need to contact people, having Skype drain my battery so much is frustrating to say the least.
Dangerous because notifications don’t work
I tell everyone to not use Skype to contact me because notifications simply don’t work. I am “logged in” (why do I need to be logged in and when would I ever want to be signed out on a phone? But OK).
People generally assume that I ignore them or have better things to do when I don’t answer an incoming call. In reality I never saw it. Only when I open the Skype app and take a look, I see missed calls.
A communications app that is this unreliable is useless. There are many alternatives, FaceTime audio, Viber, Facebook. None of these have troubles with something as basic as alerting me to the fact somebody is calling.
Love this app but needs fixing
This is a great app. I love how it can bring families across great distances together. However it does needs some fixing in one area. No ringing of a call or notification of a message comes in letting you know someone is trying to reach you. I think that needs to be fixed. You should not have to have the app open just to receive a call or notification. Been like that for a while. Other than that it's a great app.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Apr 24, 2015
- Version: 5.12.2
- Size: 81.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © (c) 2003 - 2015 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99