Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.13
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- General performance and reliability improvements.
Waste of time
I run the most recent version on my iPhone and it crashes whenever I am called by a group. My mic will cut out randomly, and sometimes the chats won’t load until I close out skype a few times. Only reason I like this more than discord is the clearer screen sharing(assuming that didn’t freeze on me or crash the app) and the themed layouts look cleaner(just wish they ran cleaner).
So I was recently advised here to reach Skype’s “Tech Support” team. It was the first thing I tried before writing this review, but I received vague answers and lost my patience honestly. I still run skype on my laptop(I admit the video and screenshares are clearer) and on other computers and devices in the house. Just iPhone app is the only one that doesn’t seem to work-whether on my iPhone or the rest of my family’s iPhones. Heck, I use skype on my iPad just fine. So if you’re getting the iPhone version? I suggest waiting for the bugs to clear out.
New update? So much for the bugs clearing out. Half the time I am STILL not getting calls properly, AND NOW my conversations do not update on my phone until I turn on my computer, log in there, and wait 30 minutes for them to show on my phone. I’ve relogged, uninstalled, and reinstalled this app so many times already: Skype is considerably better on the computer. Stick to it.
Was fine... then they updated it
I have had almost no problems with Skype other than the fact that if you send a text outside of Skype on iOS it doesn’t actually send until you get in the app. Well that all changed when the January update came. I have had some many problems with Skype recently it’s almost like it has a seizure when I try to do something. I try to open a chat menu and it goes back to chat, I try to send a message and it sends one with the last letter missing then another with it there. Not to mention the entire admin system in a chat going into a home and being buried. It no longer works just like the rest of the app. I have had Skype for over 3 years and I have had more problems now then all of the rest combined over those three years. If you don’t want to live with regret over you choice of downloading then don’t download Skype until it gets updated.
Excellent tool when I travel
Lately, every skype call has been rock solid. When I'm in Canada, roaming kills my cell bill. A little free WiFi lets me chat for $0
Not always perfect, but that probably has more to do with the signal and interference with the WiFi.
Love the service. The app works great.
2018 update - with a major redo of the Skype app, when I launched it my password quit working. Had to reset and pick a new one. Oh well.
Did the quarterly payment option disappear, as I use Skype Out when I’m stuck in Canada and I’ve not used the per-minute plan. Couldn’t find the monthly option as I reset my account yesterday.
Call quality in 2018 is outstanding. I’m very pleased.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jan 11, 2018
- Version: 8.13
- Size: 101 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2018 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99