Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.3
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- Share to Skype - share photos, videos and links to Skype from the iOS sharing menu.
- New themes - choose between light and dark themes.
- Activity indicators - see who's currently active in your Chats list.
- Reorder your chats - sort your chats by recent, unread or active.
- General performance and reliability improvements.
Update Aug 2017: Having now used the new version of Skype for a while I would give it a 4.5 star rating again. Other than missing an animated emoticon or two everything is working well and the connections to family overseas has been of good quality.
Update: A year ago I gave Skype an overall 4.5 to 5 star rating but since the update my opinion has changed. This new version is not user friendly which is the primary reason I chose Skype initially. I concur with all the other reviews, everything is so much more difficult and confusing than it has to be. I just want a simple easy way to check in daily with family overseas. Bring back the old Skype. Remember the motto "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
I've used Skype for the last 9 years to video, call and text from the USA to Australia to stay in daily contact with family. I even used it to stay in contact with family while they travelled throughout Europe and Egypt for 9 months a couple of years ago. Occasionally I get a bad video or call connection that is intermittent but this can sometimes be remedied by hanging up and connecting again. All in all I find Skype is mostly reliable, certainly convenient and easy to use. I now have an iPhone 6+ and have not noticed a difference between using Skype on it than on the last 2 iPhone models I had. I also use it on my PC with the same results. I'd give it an overall 4.5 to 5 star rating.
I have loved using skype over other messaging apps for years now because it was minimalistic, clean, and easy to navigate. Nothing too fancy, but exactly what I needed to communicate, whether it be with friends, professors, or peers. This latest update makes it frustrating to use the messaging, with its overly glamorous color schemes layout. I can't use any of the features I use on the day to day, like status and mood. Because you don't swipe to see timestamps and the font is huge, I can only see a couple messages at a time. And what's worse, it's slowing my phone down and taking up space. I don't even like it and it's dragging me down! I will definitely be switching to discord if improvements are not made soon.
A note: adding emojis to messages and stuff is super cute. A lot of the ideas in this update were good, but they are overriding the reasons we love this service so much.
Edit: Much better with the new update! I moved my rating up two stars. I love the dark theme, and I'm glad I can see who's active now. I still wish I could see more messages at a time and edit stuff like status and and mood, though. I haven't been able to see if the performance is better yet (the last update would not send messages or tell me when I received them, and crashed the app often) but I'm hoping it has improved.
I accidentally updated all my apps on my phone one day, including skype despite vowing never to do so after this new layout came around and I heard how terrible it was. Usually despite bad reviews I find great use in apps, not this time. Now I can't make another call while in a skype call without it hanging up rather than going on hold, calls fail far more than before, ongoing calls also take longer to load up after I'd just been on another app for a few seconds, turning my camera is such a hassle, and I can't move where my video feed shows up on my phone anymore. People thought skype was bad, and I was always one to defend, but now I have to agree. Step it up, your ratings are so low! You cannot say you've been listening when all you're doing is making it prettier but way less efficient! At least let me downgrade the skype version... I'm trying to be loyal to skype but this is ridiculous. The only reason I still use skype is for the video calls but they're terrible now. UPDATE: I found more annoying crap!!! Surprise! My conversations also update late now so I have lots of miscommunications and stress to add onto my long distance relationship! Thanks skype!!!!
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Aug 07, 2017
- Version: 8.3
- Size: 94.3 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99