Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Skype keeps the world talking. Free messaging, voice and video calls with anyone for free.
- Talk face to face with a video call.
- New group video calls with up to 25 people.
- Free voice calls to anyone else on Skype. Add up to 25 people on a group call.
- Message your friends in an instant and add up to 300 people to a group chat.
- Call mobiles and landlines at low rates (Skype to Skype calls are always free).
- Share photos, video messages, your location and add emoticons and Mojis to your chat.
- Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs, and even some TVs. Now it’s even easier to stay connected to friends and family – no matter the device they’re on.
- Available for Apple Watch – your notifications and chats available on your wrist.
- iOS 8.0 or above (If you are using iOS 7 or earlier, you can download the last compatible version by tapping install/update and following the prompt to download.) The Apple Watch features require iOS 8.2 and of course, an Apple Watch.
What's New in Version 6.17.1
Welcome to Skype 6.17.1 for iPhone. We are working hard to make Skype even better for all your calls and messaging – here’s what’s new in this update:
- Add new friends by opening your Contacts, tapping 'Invite friends to Skype' and selecting who you want to join.
- Improvements to voice and video call quality.
- Fixed bug that prevented some users to automatically sign in.
Please continue to send us feedback by opening the app and tapping the Skype Community link in My info. We are listening!
I got bored and decided to look at reviews. I wasn't expecting so many low ratings. Skype works perfectly for me. I use it almost every second of everyday. While I do admit the recent version does have a few bugs like the replying from the notifications panel doesn't always work. I often reply or at least think I do and I wait for hours for my friend to respond and when I finally open the app I look rather foolish because my message didn't send. But that is really my only complaint other than the app sometimes not making the appropriate sound when someone calls, however it does vibrate and appear. Either way I do believe those bugs will be worked out. Honestly Skype I don't think deserves all this hate. I myself am not a paying customer, I just use it for IMing and random video calls. I recommend Skype for those purposes, however if you are looking to it for business purposes you might offer more scrutiny. I've never ever had a problem with Skype support I simply go on my browser and I am greeted with a friendly worker who has a civilized back and forth conversation about my issues and does everything in their power to assist me, they even take the time to learn my name don't know who some of these commenters referred to about copy and paste and robots and such I'm unsure if they went through the proper channels because tech and account support chat rooms are top notch!
PLEASE READ !!!
I am a Skype paying member and pay for all the premium features such as a real phone number, I can call land lines etc. Ok, so that is great... Now hear this:
On the iPhone you cannot receive a phone call from skype on a consistent basis where your phone is in standby mode and it rings, and you can answer, IT DIESNT RING !!!!! Google this problem and you'll see how wide spread it is... You can try every setting on earth and it won't fix the problem, I have tried every way to contact skype and NOTHING is done about it, also, after EVERY call that I make or receive there is a window which opens asking you to rate the call, it's the most annoying thing ever. So just to reiterate be careful spending your money on premium services, it feels like I'm using a third world country phone service that is hit and miss...when my credits run out I will be running for the hills, and again, don't take my word for it... Google skype won't ring on an iPhone and see for yourself, forget about the settings that are recommended, you may as well talk to the walls...
IF ANYONE FROM SKYPE IS READING THIS... It's insane that you can't have the most basic feature work on the iPhone like... MAKE IT RING !!!!!!!!!!
A few weeks ago, I got back on the app after it had worked for months, and I couldn't send anything to my friends. I found out that, for some unknown reason, I could not connect to Skype to use the app. Later last night, it still didn't work, so I deleted the app, re-downloaded it, and tried to sign back in. Yet again it couldn't connect to the Skype servers. I finally thought that I should turn my VPN on, and it finally worked. Despite getting it to work, the VPN slows down my phone majorly. It can't be my WiFi/LTE because all my other apps work, but no one else seems to be having problems similar to mine. This app is a great way to contact people who live far away, and I recommend it.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jun 07, 2016
- Version: 6.17.1
- Size: 104 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © (c) 2003 - 2016 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99