Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Introducing the brand new Skype for iPhone – simpler than ever with an even more powerful search.
Stay in touch with free video calls, voice calls and messaging on Skype.
· Find all of your friends and family in an instant - search for friends, groups, conversations or new contacts on Skype. With over 300 million people using Skype, you’re bound to bump into someone you know.
· Call your world for free - Free voice and video calls let you talk to your heart’s content with all your friends and family on Skype.
· Make low cost calls to mobiles and landlines - Keep in touch with anyone even if they’re not on Skype, with low cost calls to mobiles and landlines.
· Instantly get in touch - No matter where you are, your friends are always available with free instant messaging.
· Share moments - Send photos, record and send video messages, share your location or share web content with the people who matter most.
· Available for Apple Watch - see your notifications and chat on your Apple Watch so you’re always part of the conversation.
· Skype is available everywhere - on smartphones, tablets, Macs, PCs, and even TVs. Whatever your friends or family use, Skype is there. Simple.
Learn more at Skype.com
• iOS 7.0 or above (If you are using iOS 6 or earlier, you can download the last compatible version by tapping install/update and following the prompt to download.) The Apple Watch features require iOS 8.2 and of course, an Apple Watch.
What's New in Version 6.0
· Beautiful redesign - built for iPhone.
· New simple navigation, making it easier to use the Skype features you love.
· More powerful search, so you can quickly find conversation content, groups and contacts.
· Better multi-tasking - easily switch between your call and chat screens to share photos, web links, your location and more while you talk.
New Design Bad
Have used Skype for years and years, I don't like the new design. It's too easy to select options that I don't want to do. I can just see accidentally clicking a button and either deleting my whole conversation, the contact, removing them from favorites, or turning the chat notifications off and not realizing it. To be honest, I really don't even want to add someone else to the conversation on accident, either. I liked it when it was harder to do these things. No one wants to push one button on accident and then have any of these disasters happen. *I'm talking about the down arrow in the chat*. I love Skype, and I love the new design of it too, but I just don't like how easy it is to do the things I listed above. I also love actually viewing people's profiles, and now when I do that, the options that are available right there on the profile are block and delete. They're also too easy to select by accident. I'd hate for that to happen.
I like this app. I really do. But it's just so buggy. First, on group calls or audio calls, the sound is 10 times quieter than a video call, so I have to either hold the phone up to my ear, or put on headphones. You can't change your description, or rename yourself, and since my headphones are on half the time, when I try to move around I kick the cord and the phone falls off of my desk (this really isn't a problem with the app, mostly a problem with the headphone cord, but since the headphones are always on while skyping, since the audio is buggy, I'll just blame it on Skype). I mean the app is great, chatting is easy, calling is easy, you can (surprisingly) use emotes, use the commands, and (sort of) send pictures. But the app is too buggy for me to give it higher than a 3.
Personally, I don't see why people are praising it
The redesign in my opinion, is ugly and induces headaches. There's so much white, text looks like it's floating in space (which looks awful when you scroll), and everything runs together. From a design standpoint, I'm hurt. I have to reduce the brightness down just to look at it. It's too much white. (I liked the old design. Had blue to break the white up better. Clear distinction of chats etc.). While the design is terrible to me, I do appreciate some of the new features.. That I noticed. Skype will always be my messenger of choice, but unfortunately mobile is too straining to use for long periods without the brightness at 25%.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 03, 2015
- Version: 6.0
- Size: 82.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © (c) 2003 - 2015 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99