Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.2.1
We're constantly working to make Skype better for you.
Here's what's new:
- General performance and stability improvements.
- Delete contacts – the ability to add or remove contacts from their profile.
- The new Skype now supports all iOS 9.0 (or later) iPhones.
No Mood Messages!
Honestly, i hated this update from the get go, but I can live with it. "It's not thaaat bad," I thought at first, until i got to trying to update my profile. I do not have access to change my mood message, I only have the "about me" which absolutely no one ever sees EVER. My mood message has always been extremely important to me. for years, I have used it to show what i'm currently into, music lyrics, telling others that I'll be away for a brief period of time, making sure my friends aren't worried when I don't message back for a while, etc. It has, for me and my acquaintances, been a crucial part of the app/program that we needed to express ourselves and inform others. Without this feature, all of these new, meaningless add-ons are utterly pointless. PLEASE please please bring back the mood message!! Everyone who values it (a lot of people) are begging you!! Thank you for your time. -rs
I'll admit some features are interesting and I understand the forward thinking but the change was too much at once. I could see how some could like it but after using Skype for long time it's hard to change. The layout is a bit annoying as it's hard to view the statuses of people. The availability dots were a big thing as now I'm not sure how to 'do not disturb.' The large contrasting boxes in combination of a bigger font make it increasing difficult to read longer messages and multiple messages from groups. Again I could see how this is helpful for it is easy to read in comparison. Overall I'm not a huge fan but if I have to work with it I will. Though I plead you keep this off of PC edition. Please keep Snapchat apart of its own app.
An option to switch back to the old layout would be preferable.
Agree from useful to useless
Confusing interface. Lost all conversation and chat history and lost all my few contacts. It offers to load my address book but I only skype with a few people and tongue are no longer in my contacts. Additionally, when searching for this few contacts I am not finding them. FaceTime and WhatsAppMessengerhere I come. What a shame after using Skype to keep on touch with distant family for a decade. My parents in law barely managed the prior version. Now they are hopelessly lost.
Anyone who who upgrades an app is typically not wanting to start from scratch. Otherwise they would have switched apps.
Great way to take loyal users and make them look elsewhere
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Jul 21, 2017
- Version: 8.2.1
- Size: 91.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99