Skype for iPhone
By Skype Communications S.a.r.l
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.6
We're listening to your feedback and working hard to improve Skype. Here's what's new:
- Resolved issue impacting push notifications.
- General performance and reliability improvements.
If it's not broken don't fix it
I'm not sure why Skype thought it was a good idea to turn their platform into snap chat lite but it was a horrendous move. The app is not user friendly and takes a bit to get used to. I use Skype for basic messaging to my friends overseas, I liked Skype because it was basic. Easy to use, got my messages across, simple. I've started using Discord way more now because of this update. If Discord had video calling I'd completely rid of Skype. Skype isn't a social media platform, it's made for messaging. They took a simple thing and just ruined it. If they don't undo this huge mistake I'll most likely delete the app and only use it for PC, that is until they ruin that too. Discord seems the way to go now...
Videos are almost impossible to watch anymore. Not only did you diminish the time we can send videos from the app (20 seconds?!) but now if I send videos from my phone they take forever to load it at all. This app just keeps getting worse and worse anymore, probably just going to delete and use discord from now...
They broke it
The app before this ridiculous update worked just ok. It wasn't perfect but it WORKED. Now so annoying, I delete it off my phone if I know I don't need to talk to someone. If I want to post stories, I use Snapchat NOT Skype. By adding all these useless features to try and compete with other apps, it makes the whole app useless. Another surprise-when you are physically IN the app, it'll show you as online. The second you go out of the app, it shows you as away. Even if you are on desktop! It picks up calls coming in to my desktop and then will make the desktop chats glitchy. The horrible new layout is difficult to understand, adds too many steps to send messages, and is clunky. The notification tab is annoying. Having every single chat I've had with every contact open in the chat tab is annoying. The new design is screaming 'hip and trendy!!!!!!!!' with the new color schemes and they force you to navigate the new features by sending notifications. I just want the old functional layout back without the added baggage.
Skype, I've lost hope in you.
I've been a loyal user of Skype ever since 2010 on PC and IOS I've pushed through all its negatives and waited it out. Back in May 2017 I switched from Skype to TeamSpeak after always hating TeamSpeak over Skype. I stopped using it because I have severe OCD and they forced users to stop using the old Windows 7 styled Skype. Most of my friends stopped also then using Skype and started using Discord. I use Skype to video chat and communicate with my long distance boyfriend of 2 years, and I can no longer say I am doing this. I had no idea this was such a big update that changed the entire look of Skype and turned it into a rip-off of Istagram and SnapChat, but to my surprise it was. Many users are outraged, but Skype will not revert their update, they never do, they don't care that thousands of their users are unhappy, they just want to made ad revenue off of you and exploit your trust that they care about your feedback. Most companies care about feedback desperately, but Microsoft's head is shoved so far up their own butts they don't even care.
You're better off moving to TeamSpeak or Discord.
Good job, ruining Skype YET AGAIN right after E3.
EDIT: When are they reverting this? It's obvious that the majority hate it and they're losing downloads and active users. Lol.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 12, 2017
- Version: 8.6
- Size: 99.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Skype Communications S.a.r.l
- © 2003 - 2017 Skype Limited, Patents Pending. Skype, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" symbol are trade marks of Skype Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- "Skype Credit" top-up$4.99