SkySafari 3 Pro
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***SkySafari has been upgraded! Copy and paste the link below into your browser for the NEW SkySafari 4 Pro***
"The best of all the star chart apps for iOS..."
- The Mac Observer
"Revolutionary and a game-changer..."
- Sky and Telescope
SkySafari 3 Pro will completely replace your desktop astronomy software, and forever change the way you view the night sky. With SkySafari 3 Pro, you can
turns your mobile device into a 21st-century telescope controller. SkySafari is your celestial travel guide!
SkySafari 3 comes in three versions. This version - Pro - includes everything in our other two versions, and adds the largest database of any astronomy app, period.
What you can do with SkySafari 3 Pro:
• 15.3 million stars from the Hubble Guide Star catalog, 740,000 galaxies down to 18th magnitude, and 580,000 solar system objects - including every comet and asteroid ever discovered.
• NASA's latest LRO Moon map, with 8x the resolution of any other SkySafari version.
• Telescope Control – Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky using your device’s WiFi and our SkyFi or SkyWire!
• Accurately shows you the sky from any place on Earth, at any time up to 1 million years in the past or future.
• 1100 encyclopedic descriptions of sky objects written by professional astronomers.
• Over 800 images from NASA space missions, the Hubble Space Telescope, and the world's foremost astro-photographers.
• Point and hover your mobile device at the night sky to identify constellations, planets, satellites, stars, and other sky objects from your location.
• Search for any object in the sky, and follow the arrow on screen to find it!
• “Night” button to preserve your dark adaptation as you're exploring the night sky.
• “Time Flow” Feature - follow the motion of sky objects as SkySafari compresses days, months, and years into a few seconds.
• SkyWeek - interactive sky charts for each day of the week, and links to more articles on Sky and Telescope's website.
• Includes all major sky events: eclipses, conjunctions, good meteor showers — miss nothing!
***TOP NEW FEATURES IN SkySafari 4 Pro***
• Completely reinvented scope control panel with new telescope equipment settings.
• Animated Meteor Showers – with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics!
• New and Updated Descriptions – for HUNDREDS of objects!
• Log observations of objects directly from the Object Info view.
• Apple Maps Integration: Choose your location from a built-in Maps view!
• Advanced Search – find objects using properties other than their name, results sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and many other properties!
• Hugely Expanded Database – General Catalog of Variable Stars, Washington Double Star catalogs, Guide Star Catalog 2.x stars to magnitude 15 – total 25 million
• Dozens more tweaks, bug fixes, and additions we don’t have room to list here!
***Copy and paste the link below into your browser for the NEW SkySafari 4 Pro***
What's New in Version 3.8.5
1) Fixes problem with predicting the position of comet ISON after perihelion (and other objects which pass very close to the Sun).
2) Locations in Arizona, USA now never observe daylight savings time.
3) Restored labels under the toolbar icons in the SkyWeek screen.
4) Fixed cosmetic problems on iOS 7: center coordinates and field of view labels now update quickly while panning/zooming; the blinking selection marker doesn't get left in its old location when panning the chart.
5) Fixed centering bug when starting time flow from orbit around a solar system object.
6) Ecliptic and Galactic longitude are now parsed correctly when entered in the Coordinates settings screen.
7) Fixed problem where the “Add to Observing List” and the “Make Observing List” buttons were sometimes white in night vision.
8) Changed the default setting for "Send Time & Location" under (Scope Setup) to OFF
9) Fixed problem where the screen showing an observing list wouldn’t get a Done button in some cases on iOS 7.
10) Fixed failure to apply alignment offset to GoTo commands for ServoCAT telescopes.
I could not praise this app enough. I am an amateur astronomer who enjoys some astrophotography. I can control all my telescopes, a 14" Meade LX200 GPS, a 8" Celestron Nexstar 8SE, a 14" Meade LX 850, with SkySafari Pro and the SkyFi wireless serial port adapter. It just plain works. I sit in my kitchen and browse the heavens with SkySafari Pro, decide which object I want to view, be it a distant galaxy cluster, an obscure planetary nebula, an asteroid, globular cluster, and hit a couple of buttons in the app, the telescope slews to that object, and then I am ready to take a picture. SkySafari provides all the critical object data, such as recession velocities, from which I can calculate approximate distances to galaxies. I enthusiastically recommend this app to anyone interested in astronomy.
Still Amazing After All These Years
I've been happily using earlier versions of SkySafari for several years and can only say that SkySafari 4 Pro is still the champion! It's totally awesome! I've tried them all and this one is definitely on the top of the heap with the largest data base of any sky simulation app. The user interface is easy to use once you play around with it a little bit. There's so many things that this app is capable of that it can seem a little, OK a lot, daunting when you first fire it up, but well worth the effort. They also have the best customer service and online support group. Well worth the bucks and effort.
Very useful app with constant improvements
As I've installed updates, I've also recognized improvement where they needed to occur.
Custom settings afford for good visibility of objects' names while at the eyepiece, as well as custom settings for adjusting recognizability of stars for star-hopping from field to field.
A great boost to counter all the other challenges such as poor weather, dewing, mosquitos, the moon, late sunsets & early sunrises, as well as the bitter cold of Minnesota Winters.
Because of the fore mentioned challenges, not being able to easily find and identify objects would've been the "last straw" for me, and for a long time.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 19, 2013
- Version: 3.8.5
- Size: 899 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2014 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.