SkySafari 4 Plus: Map the Universe! Discover Sun, Moon, Mars, Stars, Planets, and Satellites with your telescope and NASA space missions!
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***SkySafari has been upgraded! For more information on the NEW SkySafari 5 Plus for iOS, visit SkySafariAstronomy.com or search for SkySafari 5 Plus in the App Store!***
Looking for more than the basic astronomy app? Then SkySafari 4 Plus is the app for you! Search from a hugely expanded object database and enjoy more than 800 high-resolution images from NASA spacecraft, Hubble Space Telescope, and world’s foremost astro-photographers!
Want to learn more about the night sky? Just hold your device up, and SkySafari 4 Plus will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, conjunctions, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
Trying to locate the Sun, Mars, or the Moon? Search from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
Learn about the history, mythology, and science of stargazing! Browse from over 1500 encyclopedic object descriptions and astronomical photographs. Explore tons of NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
Searching for an app to control your telescope? SkySafari 4 Plus also adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky, and see the rings of Saturn! Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 4 Plus – no need for an Internet connection. It is the most comprehensive astronomy app – a powerful planetarium that fits in your pocket and puts the universe at your fingertips!
SkySafari 4 Plus turns your device into a 21st century telescope controller! More astronomers use our apps for telescope control than any other app – SkySafari 4 Plus will keep anyone with a small backyard telescope busy for years! It will become your go-to celestial travel guide!
• 2.5 million stars; 31,000 deep sky objects including the entire NGC/IC catalog; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons; over 4,000 updateable asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• SkyWeek – Daily interactive star chart and links to more articles on Sky & Telescope’s website.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe. Travel through our solar system, and open new horizons!
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – Angel Island, Mauna Kea Observatory, Uluru/Ayers Rock, Snowbird Summit, Trinity Alps, Yerba Buena Gardens, or customize your own!
• Telescope Control – Using your device’s built-in WiFi, and our SkyFi or SkyWire serial accessories (sold separately).
• For even more features, check out SkySafari 4 Pro!
What's New in Version 4.5.3
1. Fixed problem on iPhone 6s where you couldn't select objects by tapping on them.
2. Fixed problem with drawing shadows of planets on moons when moon is closer to sun than planet.
3. Fixed problem with displaying Callisto shadow events as Multiple Moon shadow events.
I have been using this software for three months now. Except for a couple of caveats, I am very satisfied with it. It's a very capable software that does what it says it does. It simply works.
I use this with an Orion StarSeek WiFi device attached to a Meade LX-90. Combined with an AVS DSO-1 Bluetooth astro camera, the whole setup allows me to "observe" from inside my house using a one-wire connection.
The user interface is intuitive, and not overly complicated. The learning curve is very short that one or two sessions with it is enough to become adept with its usage.
The product support is superb. I remember posting a question on one of the popular astro forum, and within an hour I got a reply from Bill Tschumy, SCC's principal software developer and also an avid amateur astronomer. (I could've called their tech support, but it was already late, and I wasn't sure if it was an issue with Orion or SkySafari.) Another layer of support they have which I have just recently discovered is the Yahoo User's Group, and Bill is also very active there.
Now for the two aforementioned caveats. The telescope slewing bar needs to have more variance especially bet between the second "gear" that is painfully slow, and the third "gear" that is abruptly fast. The alignment feature could be improved by using two- or three-star alignment instead of just one. Neither of this two are showstoppers, and take away anything substantial from the product.
Overall, I find this software worth every penny. I would recommend it to anyone who would ask about it. I'm giving this a 5-star grade for this reason, but realistically it should be 4.5 just to allow consideration for improvements.
This app is in a class by itself. Extremely well organized and intuitive but still includes a comprehensive manual. With or without a connected telescope one can enjoy it's features and gain a lot of knowledge.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 13, 2015
- Version: 4.5.3
- Size: 374 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2015 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.