SkySafari 4 Plus: Map the Universe! Discover Sun, Moon, Mars, Stars, Planets, and Satellites with your telescope and NASA space missions!
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***SkySafari has been upgraded! For more information on the NEW SkySafari 5 Plus for iOS, visit SkySafariAstronomy.com or search for SkySafari 5 Plus in the App Store!***
Looking for more than the basic astronomy app? Then SkySafari 4 Plus is the app for you! Search from a hugely expanded object database and enjoy more than 800 high-resolution images from NASA spacecraft, Hubble Space Telescope, and world’s foremost astro-photographers!
Want to learn more about the night sky? Just hold your device up, and SkySafari 4 Plus will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your real time movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
See an eclipse now, in the past or in the future! Simulate the night sky from anywhere on Earth up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, comet approaches, conjunctions, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
Trying to locate the Sun, Mars, or the Moon? Search from our extensive database and track the arrow to be directed to their exact locations in the sky before you. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
Learn about the history, mythology, and science of stargazing! Browse from over 1500 encyclopedic object descriptions and astronomical photographs. Explore tons of NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, for all major sky events every day – miss nothing!
Searching for an app to control your telescope? SkySafari 4 Plus also adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky, and see the rings of Saturn! Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 4 Plus – no need for an Internet connection. It is the most comprehensive astronomy app – a powerful planetarium that fits in your pocket and puts the universe at your fingertips!
SkySafari 4 Plus turns your device into a 21st century telescope controller! More astronomers use our apps for telescope control than any other app – SkySafari 4 Plus will keep anyone with a small backyard telescope busy for years! It will become your go-to celestial travel guide!
• 2.5 million stars; 31,000 deep sky objects including the entire NGC/IC catalog; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons; over 4,000 updateable asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• SkyWeek – Daily interactive star chart and links to more articles on Sky & Telescope’s website.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe. Travel through our solar system, and open new horizons!
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – Angel Island, Mauna Kea Observatory, Uluru/Ayers Rock, Snowbird Summit, Trinity Alps, Yerba Buena Gardens, or customize your own!
• Telescope Control – Using your device’s built-in WiFi, and our SkyFi or SkyWire serial accessories (sold separately).
• For even more features, check out SkySafari 4 Pro!
What's New in Version 4.5.3
1. Fixed problem on iPhone 6s where you couldn't select objects by tapping on them.
2. Fixed problem with drawing shadows of planets on moons when moon is closer to sun than planet.
3. Fixed problem with displaying Callisto shadow events as Multiple Moon shadow events.
Many Exciting Uses
I've used SkySafari for several years and it has taught me amazing things about the night skies. It is a delight just to point it to an area and be able to identify the constellations and see between the brighter stars to the faint Deep Sky Objects. With binoculars and a telescope this app has been my constant companion on starry nights.
Now I have teamed my GoTo telescope with SkySafari and SkyFi that enables my telescope to be directly connected to SkySafari. I no longer have to key information I find in SkySafari into the hand controller; I simply touch the object and touch GoTo and vrooom off goes my telescope directly to this deep sky object. This has transformed the experience of my non-astronomy friends who have no patience for the time spent between target acquisitions.
SkySafari is as important an element in my observing as my best Televue eyepiece.
I've just spent two cloudy nights playing with this program and I'm astounded! You can look everywhere in the sky and manipulate the map so intuitively and effortlessly that you soon become intuitively familiar with the layout of the sky, the arrangement of the objects in it and how the date, time of day and your location on earth affect what you will see.
And it's beautiful! Oh lord, is it beautiful!
Tomorrow is supposed to be clear and I'm going to try pointing at objects and see the screen center on what I'm pointing at. Can't wait!
I had read many good reviews about this program so I purchased it for my iPad. I have also downloaded a few FREE celestial apps also.
For the money, this app is only slightly better than the free ones.
And I just noticed that a few day after I got this version (4), they came out with version 5 plus and want $8 more! Really!! I had originally gave 3 stars but changed it to 2 for this reason alone.
Sometimes it gets quirky with the iPad. If the tablet goes to sleep while program is running, upon waking the calibration is way off and I have to restart the program which means going back to iPad home screen which is white light.
Another quirk is with the free apps, you can get the projected path of the star or planet. Actually gives you the time when it will be in your viewing area. Not with this app.
This app does have some nice features but for the main intention, it's just okay.
People that give rave reviews have obviously not tried some of the free apps that are just as good if not a little better.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 13, 2015
- Version: 4.5.3
- Size: 265 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2015 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.