SkySafari 4: Stargazing Made Simple
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SKY & TELESCOPE 2012 HOT PRODUCT! MACWORLD 2010 BEST IN SHOW!
SkySafari 4 is the next-generation award-winning astronomy app re-imagined for iOS 8!
If you're new to SkySafari, this is basic version. It includes everything you need to get started learning the night sky: 120,000 stars; over 200 star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies; all major planets and moons, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites - including the ISS.
Here's what you can do with SkySafari 4:
Simulate the night sky from anywhere on planet Earth, up to 100 years in the past or future. Search for celestial objects, and locate them in the sky using your iDevice's built-in motion hardware. Animate transits, conjunctions, eclipses, and other events with SkySafari's Time controls. Explore the sky with Night Vision turned on, and preserve your eyesight after dark.
Learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens from SkySafari's hundreds of object descriptions. Browse hundreds of astronomical photographs and NASA spacecraft images. Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek, Sky & Telescope's mobile portal to all major sky events for every day of the week. Miss nothing!
All this is built into SkySafari 4 - you don't need an internet connection to use it. SkySafari's streamlined interface turns your iOS device into a celestial travel guide! SkySafari 4 Plus and Pro add even more - but the basic version is everything the casual stargazer will ever want. (Please note: there is no discount upgrade path to SkySafari 4 Plus or Pro.)
If you've used SkySafari before, here's what's new in version 4:
* Reinvented look-and-feel with new app icons and artwork to match the style of iOS 7 and 8.
* Complete rewrite of compass code for much smoother and more accurate motion tracking. With compass on, search for any object, and an animated arrow now leads the way to help you locate it in the sky.
* Apple Maps integration: choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
* Animated meteor showers, with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics.
* New horizon panoramas: Yerba Buena Gardens in downtown San Francisco, Uluru (Ayers Rock) Australia, and the top of Mauna Kea on Hawaii's Big Island. Or add your own!
* New and updated descriptions for hundreds of objects. On iPhone, swipe left-to-right to toggle Object Info between data and description. On iPad, both are displayed side-by-side.
* Dozens more tweaks, bug fixes, and additions we don't have room to list here!
What's New in Version 4.5.1
1) Fix for Compass when Location Services are not turned on.
2) Fix problem with orbital periods of some binary stars.
Unbelievable How Rich
I bought a telescope yesterday, and the shop owners recommended this app, even walked me through using it. I've been geeking out on it for hours now. Several times, I've gone to use a function for the first time and been blown away by the way it works. Well done!
Thoroughly enjoying it!
The only reason I'm not rating it at five stars is because there is still room for improvement. One thing that really love and appreciate is the announcements of special astronomy events coming up. I was able to enjoy watching Mars and Venus merge not only on here, but also outside!
Excellent night sky app and it has red light capability too! Extremely useful in the field and handy for planning future observing sessions. I have SS4 and it does almost everything I need for observing in both clear & inclement weather. Well worth the cost!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 22, 2015
- Version: 4.5.1
- Size: 105 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2015 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Orbit Mode$0.99