SkySafari 5 Plus
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SkySafari 5 Plus is more than the basic astronomy app, and this is its best version yet! It's a full-featured space simulator with telescope control. Note that there is no discount upgrade path from SkySafari Plus to Pro. Choose carefully! Here's what's new:
1) Complete support for iOS 9!
2) Support for Apple Watch! Everything you need to know about the Sun, Moon, Planets, and more on your wrist, at a glance!
3) Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
4) Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
5) Completely new sound effects, and a new look to the sky and horizon. Better transitions between portrait and landscape mode.
6) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
7) Updated object descriptions, now with images in-line! Every object now has a description!
8) A new Share button lets you share your sky by email, text, or social media!
9) Reworked Time Flow controls. Set the date and time directly from the main toolbar. Run time 1000 x faster than reality!
10) iCloud or Google sync for your settings and observing lists! Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your iOS devices!
11) An on-line repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
12) An improved deep sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M 31.
13) A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS!
14) Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and Focal Reducers to your equipment list!
If you haven't used SkySafari Plus before, here's what you can do with it.
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 5 Plus will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
• Search from our extensive database, and follow the arrow to objects in the sky. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your telescope! SkySafari 5 Plus adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky! Requires SkyFi or SkyWire accessories (sold separately).
• Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 5 Plus – no need for an Internet connection.
• 2.5 million stars; 31,000 deep sky objects including the entire NGC/IC catalog; all major planets and moons; over 4,000 updateable asteroids, comets, and satellites including the International Space Station (ISS).
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Time Flow – Follow the motion of sky objects as days, months, and years are compressed into a few seconds.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly like a NASA space probe through our solar system!
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from six beautiful built-in vistas, or customize your own!
For even more features, and a gigantic database aimed at the most dedicated amateur or professional astronomer, check out SkySafari 5 Pro!
What's New in Version 5.2.0
- Added the ability to revert to the default sort order in an object list or observing list.
- Added display of Quick Start screen the first time the app is run.
- Listed Celestron CGX as one of the supported scope types.
- Enable/Disable the Send Time & Date button depending on whether the mount supports that feature.
- Always set time & date for Takahashi and SiTech mounts since they require it.
- Improved the selection of stars and other objects via tapping on some devices.
- Fixed problem where the displayed slew rate in the scope panel could be out of sync with the true slew rate.
- Fixed crash that could happen when scrolling though the Moons list.
- Other minor stability and performance improvements.
I rarely write app reviews, but SkySafari Plus is truly an exceptional program. It is intuitive to learn, technically stable, and adds a lot of value to the night sky observer. I use it to select objects to photograph even though I have more powerful programs that are dedicated to the task. It is always on when I am observing. Definitely five stars from my view.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 13, 2017
- Version: 5.2.0
- Size: 575 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2017 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.