SkySafari 5 Pro
By Simulation Curriculum Corp.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SkySafari 5 Pro is the ultimate astronomy app. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered and offers flawless telescope control. Here's what's new in this version:
1) Complete support for iOS 9!
2) Support for Apple Watch! The Sun, Moon, Planets, and more on your wrist!
3) Tonight at a Glance: the Sun, Moon, Planets, ISS, and Iridium flares in one handy view!
4) Notifications when the ISS will pass overhead, when Iridium satellites flare, and more!
5) Completely new sounds, and a new look to the sky and horizon. Better transitions between portrait and landscape mode.
6) Object lists in the Search menu now show thumbnail images. New options in Advanced Search.
7) Updated object descriptions, with images in-line! Every object now has a description!
8) A new Share button lets you share your sky by email, text, or social media!
9) Reworked Time Flow controls. Set the date and time directly from the main toolbar. Run time 1000 x faster than reality!
10) iCloud or Google Drive sync for your settings and observing lists! Change them on one device, and synchronize your changes across all your iOS devices!
11) An on-line repository of observing lists from experienced amateur astronomers. A "tour mode" that guides you through objects in each list!
12) An improved deep sky database with Abell and Hickson galaxy clusters, and globular clusters in M 31.
13) Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
14) A handy Digitized Sky Survey viewer that lets you download images from the DSS!
15) Improved multi-star alignment for telescopes with digital setting circles. Add Barlows and Focal Reducers to your equipment list!
If you haven't used SkySafari Pro before, here's what you can do with it.
• Hold your device up, and SkySafari 5 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart updates automatically with your movements for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events with Time Flow.
• Search from our extensive database, and follow the arrow to objects in the sky. See spectacular views of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets!
• Learn the history, mythology, and science of astronomy! Browse over 1500 object descriptions and astronomical images. Explore NASA space missions! Stay up-to-date with SkyWeek for all major sky events every day!
• Control your telescope! SkySafari 5 Pro adds wired or wireless control for Celestron, Meade, Orion, SkyWatcher, and many other telescopes. Point your GoTo or “Push-To” telescope anywhere in the sky! Requires SkyFi or SkyWire accessories (sold separately).
• Plan observing sessions with Observing Lists, log your observations, and share with friends!
All this is built into SkySafari 5 Pro – no need for an Internet connection. SkySafari 5 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience and replace desktop astronomy software costing 10 times more.
• 25 million stars from both Hubble Guide Star catalogs; 740,000 galaxies down to the 18th magnitude; over 630,000 solar system objects; and satellites like the International Space Station (ISS).
• NASA’s latest LRO Moon maps, with 8X the resolution of any other SkySafari versions, and hi-res Earth and Mars maps.
• Animated meteor showers with complete viewing information & spectacular graphics.
• Night Vision – Preserve your eyesight after dark.
• Advanced Search – Find objects using properties other than their name. Results are sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, and more!
• Orbit Mode – Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Apple Maps Integration – Choose your location from a built-in Maps view.
• Horizon Panoramas – choose from 12 hi-res vistas, or customize your own!
What's New in Version 5.2.0
- Added the ability to revert to the default sort order in an object list or observing list.
- Added display of Quick Start screen the first time the app is run.
- Listed Celestron CGX as one of the supported scope types.
- Enable/Disable the Send Time & Date button depending on whether the mount supports that feature.
- Always set time & date for Takahashi and SiTech mounts since they require it.
- Improved the selection of stars and other objects via tapping on some devices.
- Fixed problem where the displayed slew rate in the scope panel could be out of sync with the true slew rate.
- Fixed crash that could happen when scrolling though the Moons list.
- Other minor stability and performance improvements.
So much in one app.
Super-smooth graphics (realtime and fast forward)Very intuitive interface. I don't have a telescope to link it to, but I'm definitely getting one just to use with this app. I've spent countless hours using this app and I only wish I had more battery life. I don't normally write reviews... But, when I do, it because it's the best or the worst app. I bought the pro version... and it's worth every penny. This is a must-have.
King of Planetarium / Scope control programs
As an avid amateur of a few decades I have to lament: Sky Safari is grand beyond explanation!
So why would I try, except to say it has made many aspects of observing so much easier and more fun. Drive a Telrad synced with any digitally enabled scope around the night sky on your tablet and see ten times as many objects with an onboard astronomy text book to explain details at your finger tips! Do not miss out on this amazing resource.
Best iOS Astronomy App by Far
I've been using this app along with the SkyFi or the SkyWire accessory to control my C8 SCT for over 2 years. At the Okie-Tex Star Party for the last two years I've seen more deep-sky wonders than in my whole amateur "career".
The app lets me easily see what's visible at any date of interest. This comes in handy for planning observing sessions in advance.
I heartily recommend SkySafari to all astronomers!
That's my earlier review of SkySafari and I fully agree with that review now. The current update has added some neat, new features — like being able to search for features on the moon & planets and new map of Mars. Really helpful at the eyepiece now that Mars is in opposition.
I'm now using SS 5 Pro to control my CPC 1100 and it works beautifully.
More, better, gooder!!
I can only reiterate that SkySafari is the best app for the iOS systems available for Astronomy. I have found that you can use the SkyFi or SkyWire accessories to go to craters and other features on our Moon! While SS & SkyFi allow pinpoint centering of requested Deep Sky Objects in my CPC 1100 the weather has precluded testing the Moon-Go-To feature but I plan to do so soon.
I Would give SS 10 Stars if that were a choice!!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 13, 2017
- Version: 5.2.0
- Size: 1.87 GB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- © 2009-2016 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.